Azamara vs Crystal cruises

cruiser77

As can be seen from my signature I am celebrity fan, but I am looking for something special and different for cruise on 2017. I would like to try Azamara since it has reciprocal points with Celebrity, but Crystal has bigger ships and I believe newer ones.

I would be interested to hear what the differences are so if anyone who has sailed on both lines would give their opinions, I would appreciate it.:)

Cruiser77

Just a couple of thoughts as others may expand on these comments.

First, Crystal has a more formal dress code on several nights. They just changed the code, but bottom line dressy cruise casual probably won't work all nights.

Second, unless you spring for a premium cabin, Crystal's are similar to AZ- read smaller than many other lines.

Third, Crystal is in the midst of renovating their ships. One just finished a $20 million drydock. Sorry, I can't remember which one.

And finally, dining on Crystal is not totally at your discretion for dinner. They have a number of guests that have set times to dine and those that choose otherwise, must make a "reservation" for a specific time. The issue is there is no room for impromptu dining. You have drinks with a couple of couples and decide to walk to the MDR- could well be a significant wait. The little known secret is that when the Crystal ships were designed, all dining was the 2 settings routine. The restaurant isn't large enough to handle true "any time dining".

One final comment is that the ships and crew are superior; and the interior public spaces are excellent.

Edited by kiawahdon

Just a couple of thoughts as others may expand on these comments.

First, Crystal has a more formal dress code on several nights. They just changed the code, but bottom line dressy cruise casual probably won't work all nights.

Second, unless you spring for a premium cabin, Crystal's are similar to AZ- read smaller than many other lines.

Third, Crystal is in the midst of renovating their ships. One just finished a $20 million drydock. Sorry, I can't remember which one.

And finally, dining on Crystal is not totally at your discretion for dinner. They have a number of guests that have set times to dine and those that choose otherwise, must make a "reservation" for a specific time. The issue is there is no room for impromptu dining. You have drinks with a couple of couples and decide to walk to the MDR- could well be a significant wait. The little known secret is that when the Crystal ships were designed, all dining was the 2 settings routine. The restaurant isn't large enough to handle true "any time dining".

One final comment is that the ships and crew are superior; and the interior public spaces are excellent.

Actually both Crystal ships have recently received major renovations. Serenity last fall, Symphony last month.

The Dining By Reservation issue is overblown, IMO and IME. On port-intensive cruises you know pretty much when you're going to want to dine, and you can set up your Dining By Reservation on the website before you leave. Then if you want to change things while on board, they can almost always accommodate. Serenity also has the new dining venue Tastes, with playful cuisine like Celebrity's Qsine -- also by reservation but we were always able to get in.

Most importantly, once you are seated the food on Crystal is at such an elevated level that I can't imagine any other cruise line matching it: Nobu's Miso Black Cod is the best fish anywhere, and now the MDR offers both traditional continental cuisine and nouvelle cuisine options every night. If you're choosing on food alone, Crystal is the only choice!

Thanks for your comments!

So, cabins are small on both lines, how about decor and amenities?

Food is better on Crystal? Do both have same selection on beverages that is included in the price?

Shore excursions prices about the same?

Anything else that makes them different?

Thanks!:)

tours are set up by local tour operators based on their prices. .it is up to the cruise line to pick them or not. .In many cities i see several cruise ships in the same areas. .all guests want to see the same thing as i never been on Cystral i can not tell you about the food. .to find out about the size of the cabin look on a cruise line under staterooms/cabins. .they always give the sq feet.. no matter how many upgrades or new rugs the size is not changing.

Edited by ellbon

The cabins are in no way as small as Azamara. Square footage can easily be found on line. Food is superb, premium liquor included, best production shows and enrichment program I have ever seen. Dining is definitely more formal.

In Dec. the dress code on Crystal will be casual and black tie optional instead of the present system. When reading the description, it sounds more like Celebrity. Crystal has set seating, and reserved dining at a variety times. Although it is not completely open like Azamara, you can reserve times easily on the web before sailing or on the ship. Times are flexible. One night we missed our reservation time due to a late excursion. We were greated at the diningroom with a warm greeting...nice to see you. Of course, we were seated without any problems.

Doesn't anybody consider price when they make their comparison? A Crystal cruise for the same itinerary in the Baltics, same number of days, even with their "book now savings" is 55% higher than the cruise I recently booked on Azamara on the BOGOHO promotion.

I was on Crystal Serenity a few months ago. Our suite was huge and even the ordinary veranda staterooms were much bigger than Azamara staterooms. The bathrooms on Azamara, even in the top suites, are not even in the same league as Crystal bathrooms, which are magnificent.

I loved the decor in the newly refurbished suite and it is the only time I have ever thought on any cruise.....I would love my bedroom at home to look like this. :) We also had a huge balcony.

The food was marvellous and the ambience, even on the non formal nights, was much more dressy than Azamara. The formal nights were splendid....I enjoy dressing up. It is very much required on Crystal and on Silversea too. Even with the new relaxed dress codes I can guarantee it will be much more dressy than an Azamara cruise, some do not enjoy this dressier aspect, but I do. Pax were mostly pleasant, some were not, by that I mean there were a few rather self important people whose first questions were "what do you do and what car do you drive"......you may know the type. :rolleyes:

However, it was good I was with my partner because I didn't find many that kindred spirits on Crystal and we spent a lot of time dining alone, apart from one Spanish couple who were lively and social and great fun. I would describe the passenger mix on our cruise as mostly quite elderly and a bit staid. Apart from us and a few lively passengers, not many people danced and the ship was quiet after midnight.

The Guest Lecturer's were excellent and I learnt a lot. I wasn't that crazy about the entertainment on board.....I think Azamara and Silversea definitely have the edge there. The crew were nice, service was excellent but there wasn't the crew interaction that makes an Azamara cruise so different. The cost of the cruise differs vastly of course, we paid more than twice the cost of a similar Azamara cruise in a suite but I don't think we got twice the the enjoyment.

I loved my Crystal cruise and would go back again at any time, but I do love my Azamara cruises more.

I have literally just returned from a cruise aboard Crystal serenity, I had a veranda cabin. The cabin was same size as Az, however the bathrooms are larger.

Speciality restaurants were superior but the MDR was on par, sometimes better, other times not. The wine selection is far better on Az and the "sommeliers" on Crystal could be very snooty if you didn't like the choice of the day.

Crystal certainly has a better enrichment programme but its officers and staff lack the friendliness of Azamara staff. I tried Crystal due to my disappointment with some of Azamara's recent changes, I did not find a significant increase in service for the increase in cost.

The set dining times of 6pm and 8.30 pm are irksome, sometimes after a long day it would be nice to eat earlier but not at 6PM. ( there is an alternative but it isn't as good as the international buffet selection on board Az)I cannot comment on the shows as I don't tend to visit them.

Both lines have a lot of great attributes and if you travel as a couple Crystal has a lot to offer if the price is right, but as a solo I and many of the other 93 solos, felt ignored as a growing demographic.

Obviously my comments are subjective, you should choose the best itinerary for the best price and I am sure you will have a great experience regardless of which cruise line you choose. Have a great trip. G :)