CAMERA - Has anyone bought one onboard?

Mekamax

Do your homework first. Make sure you know the prices online and in stores, and make sure you'll be comparing the same camera (specs. and model). That way you'll know if you are getting a good deal. I personally would be leery, as you can't go back to the photo desk in 6 months if a problems develops. At least if purchasing near your home you have more customer service options.

I did, because I had lost mine on the ship first day. I didn't want to go to port without one so was kind of stuck buying one on the ship. Cost was 100% of mfg retail price. We were in st maarten later and exact same camera was way cheaper. It was an Olympus underwater camera and cost me $300. Their selection was small as was the inventory. That's why I had to buy such an expensive one. The cheaper ones were sold out.

We did. We saw a sale on one in the photo shop and after stopping in a port and finding free wifi we checked on Amazon. The price on Amazon was actually slightly higher, so we ended up buying it on the ship. So no, they are not always bad deals. In fact if you have to pay sales tax from Amazon then NOT having to pay tax on the ship can make it a better deal.

It's like anything else... do your homework and know your prices.

I did, because I had lost mine on the ship first day. I didn't want to go to port without one so was kind of stuck buying one on the ship. Cost was 100% of mfg retail price. We were in st maarten later and exact same camera was way cheaper. It was an Olympus underwater camera and cost me $300. Their selection was small as was the inventory. That's why I had to buy such an expensive one. The cheaper ones were sold out.

They price match on liquor port v ship. Wonder if you took a pic of the camera and it's numbers the price would have been matched?

We know the shops do returns. We've returned things to the regular shop bc it was the wrong size,

We did. We saw a sale on one in the photo shop and after stopping in a port and finding free wifi we checked on Amazon. The price on Amazon was actually slightly higher, so we ended up buying it on the ship. So no, they are not always bad deals. In fact if you have to pay sales tax from Amazon then NOT having to pay tax on the ship can make it a better deal.

It's like anything else... do your homework and know your prices.

Depends on the state, but yes, you have to watch for sales tax.

Bottom line is do research. Don't assume anything on a cruise ship is a deal. Sometimes I can find retail liquor (Total Wine or BevMo) at close to the ship's duty free price and not have to lug it home.

My camera got salt water in it on our 1st stop and quit working. I couldn't be without pictures, so I bough a Nikon on board. They were having a sale on it and I decided to purchase it. I did check online at several places when I got home, to see if I got a good deal or not. It was a pretty good deal. I saw a some a few dollars cheaper, but most where a little higher that I paid. I have been quite happy with the camera and have had it for 2 years now.

On a Conquest cruise in 2012, my camera just up and died at Dunns River Falls. I was not climbing the falls and it did not get wet. Not wanting to be without pictures, I purchased an Olympus on board for around $90. It was the second cheapest camera they had, but it fit my needs...I'm hardly a professional photographer and I do not need an expensive camera. I did not compare prices when I got home but I did not feel ripped off for what I got at the price I paid.

The ship's usually carry a nice selection of cameras. My wife takes her photography seriously and would only buy one on the ship if both of her cameras broke or got lost.

You may want to buy a camera several days before your cruise. It would give you time to test it and get used to the different functions and modes so you could use your new camera to the best advantage.

Have a great cruise.

They price match on liquor port v ship. Wonder if you took a pic of the camera and it's numbers the price would have been matched?

We know the shops do returns. We've returned things to the regular shop bc it was the wrong size,

They will pricematch, I bought a bottle of cologne in Ocho Rios that was $10 cheaper then on the boat but when I got back on they explained the 110% gurantee on liquor, sun glasses, jewerly, fragrence, and maybe cigarettes. I was still happy with what I got but from what I was told price match is for pretty much anything, however the guy may have given me misinformation

Camera shop onboard = reserve chute.

Buy a camera before the cruise and practice with it, get to know it and you will be much happier. I have never seen a price in the BVI or USVI ports and especially onboard that beat Amazon or B&H.

Dave

I wanted the OlympusTough TG-820 12mp HD water proof i had been looking at this camera for months cause the kodak i had leaked and lost all the pic's the cruise before. I wasnt looking to buy a camera on board but on the second to last they put them on sale and it was cheaper then the best price i found by about $15.00 so i went for it I have taken in 3 cruise and 4 land trips have never had a problem with it takes great pics and video in or out of water

i bought one for my wife on the miracle. this was after i dropped hers the first night on the cruise and broke it. i bought her a waterproof and drop proof i think it was an Olympus. it was on sale on the ship. i went to the library and spent a couple bucks to look it up on the internet before we bought it. with the super sale on the ship the price was a little cheaper then amazon. with out the sale it would of been over priced. but my wife was not about to have no camera on the cruise. luckily the next day i won enough money on the craps table to cover the cost of the camera.:D

I have absolutely purchased while on board...twice now.

My first time I had forgot to bring my extra batteries and my charger for my Canon D10's (I had 2 of them) and was kicking myself after the batteries in both of them ran out.

I went down and purchased an Olympus Tough 620 and fell in love with it. I loved the picture quality and everything that it did that the next cruise I purchased a second one (but this time it was the 830). I don't go anywhere without them now. :D

Simple if you do your homework. Price the equipment you are interested in at the major land based stores before you leave and then check your on-board prices. Might take you a few minutes in advance.

My guess is that on-board prices will be higher but I do not know.

DON