Dress Code for Young Teen Boys

We will be traveling with our grandsons - 13 and 15 - on the Freedom of the Seas next February. It has been a long time since our son was that age and I am just wondering how dressed up the boys need to be for "formal" nights. Both are most comfortable in shorts or jeans - neither would be appropriate (IMHO). However, I just don't want to make a major investment for a few hours of wear. Suggestions, please???

Well, this is one of the most hotly-contested subjects here on the boards. You will get many views, some opposing - but the "suggested dress code" is for adults and children alike. Whether or not it is enforced (and it likely won't be) is another story.

Shorts on Formal Night - no, but if they only have jeans, that will be fine. Pair them with a nice clean shirt, maybe collared, and they will look great. If you want to go to a thrift store or a discount store and purchase some dark pants for them - even casual, they don't have to be dress pants - perhaps they will have occasion to wear them again. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

We will be traveling with our grandsons - 13 and 15 - on the Freedom of the Seas next February. It has been a long time since our son was that age and I am just wondering how dressed up the boys need to be for "formal" nights. Both are most comfortable in shorts or jeans - neither would be appropriate (IMHO). However, I just don't want to make a major investment for a few hours of wear. Suggestions, please???

At that age, my son wore khaki pants, a dress shirt and tie and a blue blazer for formal night. He needed a blazer for school so we had one, but I know my brother's kids borrowed blazers for one of their cruises. Thrift stores have them cheap too.

For regular nights, my son did khaki pants and a polo shirt. He would change back into shorts and tshirts right after dinner.

Just off the FOS with a 15 yo. He wore black jean type pants, a collared polo shirt & black VAN shoes. He was fine. HAVE FUN!

Same sort of thing my sons wore when they were teens (around 5 years ago) - and they were still dressed smarter than some people - and the dress code is even more lax now ;)

Long pants and a collared polo shirt are fine. We don't allow our grandson to wear t-shirts or baseball hats ever. He has worn shorts a few times if there was something sports oriented going on later.

Thanks all. Neither of the boys have sports coats and probably would object. Long sleeve shirts with khaki or dark pants sounds like win-win. I agree, no shorts, not even on casual nights. I appreciated all your suggestions.

We had 5 of our grandsons with us on a cruise last year. The first formal night they wore black jeans or Dockers with black short sleeve shirts with colorful ties. the second formal night the same pants with colorful shirts with contrasting colored ties. Several people comented on how nice they looked

the dress code is for all passengers regardless of age. at the very minimum khakis and a polo shirt for formal night.

Thanks all. Neither of the boys have sports coats and probably would object. Long sleeve shirts with khaki or dark pants sounds like win-win. I agree, no shorts, not even on casual nights. I appreciated all your suggestions.

My son has cruised with us from age 4 to 18 and this is usually what he wore -- khakis and polo shirts -- to dinner even on the formal nights. When he was a teen, he wanted to be a little suave and rented a tux.

Milwaukee Girl

Both are most comfortable in shorts or jeans - .

LOL - I think there have been some great suggestions for your grandsons on here that will also suit your sensibilities, but I did get a chuckle out of your comment on what they find most comfortable.

I am about as far as you can get from a teen boy and I find shorts and flip flops to be my most comfortable clothing choice also. :D

We sailed Freedom with my 16.5 and 12 yo boys in August. Both nights, older one wore long sleeve dress shirt, tie and vest, but first night was with black dress pants and second night with black jeans.

Younger one wore dockers with shirt, tie and vest first night, second night black jeans with colored t-shirt and an over shirt in a checked pattern that complemented. Both looked great and in line with others in the dining room.

I think the suggestions above are all good and will work well.