Canada-New England question

cruisersMandW

Layers. When we did this cruise leaving from New York City a couple years ago in late Spet, we had very warm temps. Actually wore shorts and tops for the first 6 days. However then it changed to chillier weather with rainy skies as we headed west to Quebec.

You don't say when you are cruising. Take a look at the projected temps. Or use weather underground for historical looks.

But knowing all that varies tremendously, just pack clothes for fall....jacket with hood, rain cover,jeans,maybe a pair of capris if it does get warm ( unlikely right now) sweaters and you can layer,etc. Being from Fl, you will probably be more sensitve to the raw air.

Edited by eandj

This is very important if your reference point is Florida weather. When you are looking at the daily high temperatures for Northern New England and Canada, you will see a high temperature. In Florida, the high temperatures are hit by around noon and continue for most of the day. Up north, that high temperature represents the temperature you will get from about 2:55 to 3:00 PM. After that, the temperature will drop pretty quickly. Once the sun starts to go down, it will drop even further.

Layers are your friend, as are fleece jackets.

Thanks for the hints POA1 and eandj. Do you think jean/pants with a shirt and sweater topped by a windbreaker will be enough?

It would be for me, but if you chill easily, I'd go with fleece. If you have a warmer top under your windbreaker, you should be fine. If not, you're cruising during the time when all the shops will have their merchandise on sale and you can buy something.

Thanks for the hints POA1 and eandj. Do you think jean/pants with a shirt and sweater topped by a windbreaker will be enough?

If it isn't enough add another piece. ;) We had fleece vests along. DH is always colder and he wore that with a sweater and windbreaker by the time we got to Quebec. A nice long sleeved thermal knit tee works great under shirts too.

Hope there is color for your trip. Wis. is just gorgeous this year.

We took the Sept. 14 HAL cruise to New England/Canada (Eurodam---which we loved). A couple of days it was quite chilly! (under 40 in the early a.m. and low 50s as the high.) We wore both our silk long underwear and also wool sweaters, all of which we had tucked into our suitcases "just in case". We are from Texas, so perhaps more sensitive to cold. It was extremely windy which increased the chill factor to make it colder than what the thermometer would lead one to believe. Also, a big factor in the "apparent" temperature was if one was in the sun or shade (or if it turned cloudy).

We had mid 80 temperatures last week and 50's this week in Boston.

On your Canada/NE, you should expect it well could be chilly in the mornings and warm up in the afternoons, or it could rain all day, or it could be just about anything. This is very changeable weather part of the world at this time of year. By all means, a jacket with a hood, a hoodie or other sweater, long sleeve top(s) but also some short sleeve ones you could put under a hoodie and remove if it warmed up.

It's a great cruise. Enjoy. :)

I was in Quebec City for five days ending on Tuesday. The first few days it was a bit cold in the morning but you definitely had to change to shorts and a t-shirt in the afternoon. The fourth day I was pelted by icy rain coming from a huge wind blowing in my face. Expect everything!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for all the info cc friends. I will definitely bring layers! Can't wait for the cruise!

Speaking of fleece...in Port Halifax there was a shop in the terminal selling fleece capes for under $20. Hubby wanted to buy if for me, but I said," no, I don't need that, I have plently of warm clothes". Well, he bought it anyway and it turned out to be a very useful garment during our voyage. Light weight, but warm and washable! Lovely lavender color! (It's around my shoulders now as the temp in NY is getting rather chilly and I can imagine that it would work well on chilly nights in Florida too). So there's my plug for the shop in Port Halifax :) Wishing you a wonderful cruise! -S

Edited by Salacia

Hi all. Just wondering about the weather up there in Quebec and New England. It's still so hot here in FL that it's hard to think about what to pack. Do you have any suggestions for what to wear for daytime touring?

Nova Scotia right now today is about 53 degrees f. right now and drizzle tonight will be about high 40's.

We had mid 80 temperatures last week and 50's this week in Boston.

On your Canada/NE, you should expect it well could be chilly in the mornings and warm up in the afternoons, or it could rain all day, or it could be just about anything. This is very changeable weather part of the world at this time of year. By all means, a jacket with a hood, a hoodie or other sweater, long sleeve top(s) but also some short sleeve ones you could put under a hoodie and remove if it warmed up.

It's a great cruise. Enjoy. :)

always check the local weather network website for Quebec or Halifax and see what the trends are.

I just returned from a 10 day cruise on Princess and the weather was all over the place. Mostly perfect weather,but the wind on PEI required gloves and a scarf. i bought the homemade scarf in Sydney and was so glad i did. The color was spectacular once you got out in the countryside. Like others have said,layers are the answer to what to pack.

Hi all. Just wondering about the weather up there in Quebec and New England. It's still so hot here in FL that it's hard to think about what to pack. Do you have any suggestions for what to wear for daytime touring?

If you intend to go in October be prepared for lows in the 30's and highs in the 50's.

We went this past August and had great weather. The coolest morning was about 50 and the hottest day was over 80.

You didn't mention when you will be cruising. We turned our furnace on yesterday, Sunday, with the inside temperature was only 62.

Last week the weather changed to cold wind and raining. It was only 7 C when I left for work this morning. Many days the high temperature will be the 4:00 PM temp just before sunset, not noon temperature like you have in the southern climates.

I say a fleece jacket with nylon or water resistent outer shell, or a fleece vest with a windbreaker.

Layers are your friend!

Enjoy. It is beautiful if you are not cold.

I just returned from a 10 day cruise on Princess and the weather was all over the place. Mostly perfect weather,but the wind on PEI required gloves and a scarf. i bought the homemade scarf in Sydney and was so glad i did. The color was spectacular once you got out in the countryside. Like others have said,layers are the answer to what to pack.

Layers are the right thing. The colours right now are at their peak.:):)

Hi

Weather has been all over from warm to cold. Had to put heat on. Its been cold at night. IN 30's. Its nice the weather always gives my town how cold/warm and such. If you going this week or next colors are peaking. Early than usual dress in layers. Also rain gear. I live South of Boston

Mary