Where to find summer clothes in winter?

RLP66

I live in Washington state and we are leaving the end of January out of Port Canaveral for a Caribbean cruise. I am in the process of losing weight and am stressed out I won't be able to find summer clothes for my cruise. Where do people find summer clothes when they vacation in the winter?

Well, online might be your only option! Unless you have an idea of what size you might be by then, then I would start hitting the clearance racks....you may find stuff from this past year that will work.

Very frustrating trying to by "out of season" clothes!

Edited by cb at sea

Many stores will add resort clothes after Christmas - like in mid January. Last year we sailed in the 3rd week of January and I found some stuff - but ultimately I did best by ordering a few things online. Places like Kohls, Talbots, JJill, Loft seem to have summer stuff on super clearance online in the dead of winter.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Awhfy, does Orlando sell summer clothes year round? We are flying in 3 days before our cruise to hang out and get in "vacation mode".

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Awhfy, does Orlando sell summer clothes year round? We are flying in 3 days before our cruise to hang out and get in "vacation mode".

Most of FL has summer clothes year round. I've bought shorts in Orlando in December & January. You shd be ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest maddycat
You could go to FL a couple of days early as well & do some shopping there...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That was my first thought. From what I've read on these boards, there is a large outlet mall not too far from the cruise port.

Try Dillards.com . It is a more southern group. LL Bean and others like it that send catalogs have sort of year around clothes -- always short sleeves in the LLBean and Land's End Business clothes catalogs. (they do not look like uniforms/have lots of variety of sizes/are easy clean and mix and match/ so can always find season appropriate things like shorts, shirts, capris, blouses.

I really don't think you are going to have any problem ordering on-line and most are able to return things that do not fit. Most all dresses now seem to be sleeveless and my problem is finding sleeves for my tops and my dresses.

Always take your basics with you and then go shopping in Florida. I love Dillards/Macy's and others depending on your size. I'm plus petite so that is rather difficult to find sometimes. Believe me Florida has good shopping and I have the charge card to prove it. :D

Depending on your style, you may or may not like Bealls. When we lived in Florida I wasn't always thrilled with what they offered in winter ... Lots of golf styles. They will have a mix, but it's not like what you'll find in June.

Target will likely have a full complement of summer clothes. Macy's at Florida Mall usually has a lot of summer stuff. At the outlet mall, Dress Barn will probably have a lot of summer clothes. Florida stores absolutely have more warm weather clothes, but there will also be a surprising selection of sweaters ... the blood thins when you live down there and 60 degrees is sweater & jeans weather ;)

You can always find lighter weight clothing during the winter months in Florida. The stores should start to get their spring lines in when you are there. You will not have a problem finding clothes.

By the way, blood does not thin out living in a warm climate. That is a myth. A body may lose fat and people become unaccustomed to the cold but it is not because of "thin" blood.

Temperature is so personal -- a perception rather than a fact when applied to comfort by people. Have 2 people and chances are they will not agree on what is a good temperature. Thus the great thermostat wars ! :D

Blood does not thin but perception sure does change -- what is a nice warm spring day 67 degrees and no coat wahoo! becomes where is my fleece at the same 67 degrees in late November.

I agree I don't think you will have any problem finding clothes in Florida that will meet your needs. I don't know your size but if you need plus range still -- look for the great thread on Plus stores in Florida that ran about 2 weeks ago on this forum.

By the way, blood does not thin out living in a warm climate. That is a myth. A body may lose fat and people become unaccustomed to the cold but it is not because of "thin" blood.

Yes, I know blood does not thin ... I was joking! :eek::eek:

Bowie Me Me was right. I spent most of my life in Canada and always felt very proud that I could walk to work in minus 30 degree weather. After spending a couple of years in Florida I found myself wearing my down coat to walk the dog when it was 50 degrees ...

• 2 weeks later...

You can order from Bealls online and they pretty much have summer stuff all throughout the year.....another great source is Ebay. I have three shirts coming. There are many swimsuit companies online....and I've also found some clearance at JCPenney's throughout the year....that's pretty limited though.

I found some cute and cheap maxi dresses on rosegal and on wish online i thought they would be light and easy for a cruise but this will be our first cruise in april so im not sure what to take

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most of FL has summer clothes year round. I've bought shorts in Orlando in December & January. You shd be ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Orlando, and can assure you that most stores don't carry summer clothes year round. In early January the better department stores and Tommy Bahama begin to offer their resort lines. Otherwise the summer clothes are generally few and far between, and found in size 2 and 14 on the clearance racks.

I have found some beautiful, very good quality clothing in these stores. A navy blue, lined Calvin Klein swing skirt for $40 in perfect condition, some Suzy Wong dresses, etc.

Also, try international stores. An Indian food store in my neighborhood had some lovely, gauzy cotton dresses for under $50. Saris, too, though they were pricier given most were silk.