Looking for someone to change my mind...

magsbags

Hi there, all! My 1st cruise with Carnival was in June and I really didn't love my experience. I got the idea of what Carnival was trying to accomplish, but it really left me feeling kinda blah. It was the Carnival Ecstasy, one of the older ships. It was a "Live" cruise.... Jennifer Hudson.

Aesthetically, it's really blah. The good wasn't great and the choices the same. Our cabin was a standard outside cabin. No complaints about that really. I just felt like the cruise was crowded, rushed and dinky. Many of the passengers were kinda low-class (having every 5th word being a curse or yelling at kids at the top of their lungs, etc). Now, I only have one other cruise with a different company to compare it to. I'd really like to try Carnival again, but maybe a different (newer) ship? Maybe it was just the length of the cruise?

What ship would change my mind? I don't want to be so rigid as to say that is never cruise them again. But I definitely don't want to waste money on another beneath mediocre experience! 😊

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful input!! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

there was a post here earlier by someone who was on the Sensation, and had a similar experience with badly behaved cruisers on the ship. Don't know what happened to the post but it seems to be gone,

anyway, with regard to your situation and experience, I recommend trying a cruise that is 6 days or longer, on a conquest class ship or newer. I have nothing against the fantasy class ships, and I loved my 7 day on the sensation back in 2000, but they are generally only now on the shorter cruisers, and I seem to hear more complaints about noisy, loud, badly behaved people on those short cruises.

Try a newer, bigger ship, 6 day or longer cruise, and steer clear of major holiday or march break/spring break cruises, and you will likely have a different and probably more pleasant experience.

Hi there, all! My 1st cruise with Carnival was in June and I really didn't love my experience. I got the idea of what Carnival was trying to accomplish, but it really left me feeling kinda blah. It was the Carnival Ecstasy, one of the older ships. It was a "Live" cruise.... Jennifer Hudson.

Aesthetically, it's really blah. The good wasn't great and the choices the same. Our cabin was a standard outside cabin. No complaints about that really. I just felt like the cruise was crowded, rushed and dinky. Many of the passengers were kinda low-class (having every 5th word being a curse or yelling at kids at the top of their lungs, etc). Now, I only have one other cruise with a different company to compare it to. I'd really like to try Carnival again, but maybe a different (newer) ship? Maybe it was just the length of the cruise?

What ship would change my mind? I don't want to be so rigid as to say that is never cruise them again. But I definitely don't want to waste money on another beneath mediocre experience!

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful input!!

Seeing as you've been here since Nov 2011 with over 100 posts, you should have an idea as to the type of responses you will receive. Anyway, on to addressing some points you mentioned.

Overcrowding: Carnival typically has a lower passenger to space ratio than other cruise lines. An example would be the Carnival Destiny -> Carnival Sunshine transformation. A ship that already had a crowded feel to it in some areas had lost many public areas and new staterooms were added. To compare the Carnival Breeze's space ratio of 29 with the Oasis of the Seas' space ratio of 36, you will find the Breeze to be more crowded and congested than a ship that can take ~2,000 more passengers. The Carnival Ecstasy has a space ratio of 28.5, whereas Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas can boast a space ratio of 44.

Demographics: As you mentioned the passengers were "low class," I'm not going to get into that argument. However, you will find an older demographic on cruise lines such as Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard once you drift away from Carnival, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Others will add their two cents and may suggest to sail Royal Caribbean, but you'll find the same type of onboard demographic that you saw on your short cruise on their short cruises, as they are both priced pretty similar. Royal Caribbean has dipped below $100pp, just as Carnival has.

Length of cruise: The onboard passengers will be dramatically different when comparing a 3 night weekend cruise on the second oldest ship in the fleet to an 8 night cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

Edited by Disconnections

Older ships are usually on shorter itineraries. Some are known as 'booze cruises.

Prices are lower and they attract folks who fit into that demographic.

I suggest the Breeze, the newest and biggest in the Fleet. January and February are good months for your trip. Fewer kids, longer itinerary will make a difference in your experience.

And it is not just Carnival....time of year and length of cruise affects all cruise lines to some extent.

What ship would change my mind? I don't want to be so rigid as to say that is never cruise them again. But I definitely don't want to waste money on another beneath mediocre experience! 😊

Ecstasy was our first cruise and although we didn't love the ship, we loved our cabin and we knew we loved cruising. We ended up with one of the balcony cabins on the Ecstasy and did enjoy that so much.

So, for our next cruise we talked and said let's try something else. So we cruised Princess. A little more upscale but still a nice line and it had a great price. It was too fancy for us. We had a great time and we loved it, but I kept thinking I was too young to be there and that my mom would have more fun there.

So for our next cruise we went back to Carnival and gave them another chance and did a longer 7 day on a 2.0 ship, Liberty and we LOVE Carnival now. It's great. It fits us so well.

I really do agree that Carnival can't be judged by short 3-5 day older ship cruises. They draw in cheaper crowds, and are often party cruises. Please don't judge Carnival by that!!

Seeing as you've been here since Nov 2011 with over 100 posts, you should have an idea as to the type of responses you will receive. Anyway, on to addressing some points you mentioned.

Overcrowding: Carnival typically has a lower passenger to space ratio than other cruise lines. An example would be the Carnival Destiny -> Carnival Sunshine transformation. A ship that already had a crowded feel to it in some areas had lost many public areas and new staterooms were added. To compare the Carnival Breeze's space ratio of 29 with the Oasis of the Seas' space ratio of 36, you will find the Breeze to be more crowded and congested than a ship that can take ~2,000 more passengers. The Carnival Ecstasy has a space ratio of 28.5, whereas Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas can boast a space ratio of 44.

Demographics: As you mentioned the passengers were "low class," I'm not going to get into that argument. However, you will find an older demographic on cruise lines such as Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard once you drift away from Carnival, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Others will add their two cents and may suggest to sail Royal Caribbean, but you'll find the same type of onboard demographic that you saw on your short cruise on their short cruises, as they are both priced pretty similar. Royal Caribbean has dipped below $100pp, just as Carnival has.

Length of cruise: The onboard passengers will be dramatically different when comparing a 3 night weekend cruise on the second oldest ship in the fleet to an 8 night cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

I have no preconceived notions as to what kind of responses I'd get. I asked because I'm not bashing the whole Carnival enterprise at all. I'm willing to go on this just being a bad experience.

I'm sorry "low-class" bothered you. It is what it is.

I think you're on to something... The length and the price have got to be it. Thanks for your input! 😊

there was a post here earlier by someone who was on the Sensation, and had a similar experience with badly behaved cruisers on the ship. Don't know what happened to the post but it seems to be gone,

anyway, with regard to your situation and experience, I recommend trying a cruise that is 6 days or longer, on a conquest class ship or newer. I have nothing against the fantasy class ships, and I loved my 7 day on the sensation back in 2000, but they are generally only now on the shorter cruisers, and I seem to hear more complaints about noisy, loud, badly behaved people on those short cruises.

Try a newer, bigger ship, 6 day or longer cruise, and steer clear of major holiday or march break/spring break cruises, and you will likely have a different and probably more pleasant experience.

Thanks for your input! School had just let out for many during the time we went... there were so many rowdy kids! Not just being kids either. Completely out of control. 😳

What ship would change my mind? I don't want to be so rigid as to say that is never cruise them again. But I definitely don't want to waste money on another beneath mediocre experience!

We are Platinum on Carnival but have decided after our cruise in November we will cruise Princess or another line. We book suites but get nothing other then priority embarkation from Carnival. Although it is a little more to book a suite on other lines the amenities make up for it. Plus you get a different atmosphere.

Edited by tootsiescurly

I have no preconceived notions as to what kind of responses I'd get. I asked because I'm not bashing the whole Carnival enterprise at all. I'm willing to go on this just being a bad experience.

I'm sorry "low-class" bothered you. It is what it is.

I think you're on to something... The length and the price have got to be it. Thanks for your input! 😊

I'm glad that my post may have helped you. However, the low class comment didn't bother me at all. I just didn't want to get into that because even though I don't sail on Carnival any longer, I am still friends with many who do and don't believe they are included in that category, nor do I wish to judge and categorize a person that I do not know personally. Carnival attracts a wide variety of passengers that sail their vessels each week. There will be some who may be "low class," but Carnival is a family cruise line and on their week long cruises, that is who they try to attract.

I have found that how much a person spends on a vacation does not dictate their vocabulary.

I have also found that no matter how much money one has in their bank or wallet, they're choice of cruise lines is based on not how much it cost, but rather what better fits their choice for enjoyment.

We've been happy with Princess and will continue to cruise on Princess. If and when Carnival gets a new ship to California, we might consider taking a cruise on that ship. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the Inspiration and Imagination. We've done those itineraries many times and the two ships just doesn't get it for us. So until then, Princess it will be.

We did the Sensation 4 nighter (sun - thurs) last August. We enjoyed ourselves and it was not as much a wild party ship as 3 night (weekend) cruises are. This August we did a Sunshine 5 nighter. Much less partying by far! Because 4 nighters are almost the same rate as 3 nighters, I would do a 4 nighter or more.

You might want to at least consider a Princess cruise. ;)

LuLu

So for our next cruise we went back to Carnival and gave them another chance and did a longer 7 day on a 2.0 ship, Liberty and we LOVE Carnival now. It's great. It fits us so well.

I really do agree that Carnival can't be judged by short 3-5 day older ship cruises. They draw in cheaper crowds, and are often party cruises. Please don't judge Carnival by that!!

Just wondering what is meant by a 2.0 ship? And which ships are these type (of the Carnival line) besides Liberty?

TIA

We've been on five Carnival cruises so far and haven't had a bad experience yet but all of our cruises have been 7 days. We have been going in May but this year we went in April two weeks before Easter. This cruise had the most kids that we've ever experienced on a cruise. I have heard the horror stories about cruise ships being overrun by unruly kids and teenagers but we did not experience that at all. These kids had manners and some teenage boys held doors for us and said "You're welcome" when we thanked them. I'm not saying incidents with kids didn't happen on our cruise, but we didn't see anything other than kids being kids and having fun. To avoid the possible scenario of kids running wild, the months that they are in school with the exception of March and April would be good times to try. We had kids on the cruises we took in May, but there weren't that many and again, never any problems. We've been on the Conquest Class ships the past three cruises and although some areas do get crowded at times, like any ship, but never felt overcrowded throughout. We've also been on Miracle, which is Spirit Class, and it didn't seem overcrowded either. Hope this helps.

You might want to at least consider a Princess cruise. ;)

LuLu

We have done just that. After 30 cruises between Carnival and royal we are finally taking a princess cruise. Royal has abandoned the west coast and our last few carnival cruises are as the poster describes so we have decided to try princess. The experience seems to be a giant step up. The prices were similar. Carnival was fun while it lasted but with all the cutbacks and the deterioration of the entertainment we are ready for something new.

In March I cruised on the Carnival Liberty for 7 nights out of Miami. It was an excellent experience, no badly-behaved adults or kids, although there were a lot of college-age spring breakers. The "Carnival 2.0" ships are the ones who have upgraded food and bar choices such as Guy Fieri's Burger Joint, a Mexican Cantina, sushi, fish and chips, the usual pizza place, and also a new specialized Rum Bar on one side of the main pool, and a Tequila Bar on the other side. The Liberty has had this upgrade. Check the cruises you are interested in and the reviews will tell you if the ship has been upgraded.

Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done just that. After 30 cruises between Carnival and royal we are finally taking a princess cruise. Royal has abandoned the west coast and our last few carnival cruises are as the poster describes so we have decided to try princess. The experience seems to be a giant step up. The prices were similar. Carnival was fun while it lasted but with all the cutbacks and the deterioration of the entertainment we are ready for something new.

Keep an open mind and expect to have a great time!

Sometimes, it's fun to "sleep around". :D

LuLu

I am not a cruise expert but the length of the cruise and the time of year will change your experience. My first cruise was on the Sensation in Feb. 2010. I loved it. Hardly any children and a lot of mature adults. We spent time in the club each night. Never had an issue.

I went on the same ship in March 2011 and it was crazy. We had fun but it was wild. A lot of spring breakers. A lot of drinking. Dishes not cleared on the lido deck. Room service trays in the hallway..you get the picture. I was embarrassed that I recommended this cruise to others. The experience was not the same as before.

The last cruise was on the Valor for 6 nights in June 2012. There were a lot of families. It wasn't as rowdy as the 3 night on Sensation but there were a few family reunions on board. And there were kids, kids and kids.

The lesson I took away from that is no more spring break short cruises. And if possible, no cruises during the summer when schools are out.

Edited by adriennerm

We sailed back-to-back on the Freedom a couple years ago. The first leg was an 8 day itinerary and the second leg was 6 days. There was a noticeable difference between the "quality" of the 8 day passengers and the 6 day passengers as I noted in my review after the trip.

I've got to attribute the increased lack o' class to the shorter, less expensive, sailing. Can't imagine what the 3 day itineraries might bring out of the woodwork. :eek:

Brian

Try a cruise on the Magic or sister ships. We sailed in August. Rarely, if ever, were all the main pool lounge chairs taken, and there was always more than one place you could find to be by yourself. The deck 5 lanai seemed vacant all the time....almost to the point that nobody would sit out there because nobody was sitting out there, if you know what I mean. There were hundreds of loungers available. Most times there were only 1-2 other people in the aroma saunas. Treadmills never full in the gym according to my son. Comedy shows were crowded but not maxed out. Show up to the MDR 5 minutes after you scheduled time and you stroll right in. Only went to one show in the theatre this year (Illusionist) and that was crowded. Getting off in the ports was no hassle (always a line getting back on at sailing time of course). The Lido Buffet was like a ghost town at 730pm. By far our most relaxing cruise.

Definitely try a newer ship, like a Conquest class (Glory, Valor, Liberty, etc.) or newer. Longer cruises do seem to have fewer reports of bad behavior, and if you can avoid going during school breaks, so much the better for you.

I've done five 7 day cruises, and can honestly say that only once did I hear unruly kids (teens), and that lasted for all of 3 minutes before security was escorting them away. I've seen "over-served" adults behaving badly only once, and that also seemed to be dealt with quickly.

Admittedly, I haven't sailed any other line, so I can't compare the experience, but I can say that I've had extremely positive experience on Carnival!