Water Package available or needed?

BlessedAZWife

When we cruised another line, we bought a water package, as I need water in morning and evening to take meds. I am not seeing where Princess has a water package available. Do they allow pax to bring bottled water aboard?

I know of no water package per se, but on my recent sailing on the Golden out of L.A., my in-room fridge had a 1.5L bottle of Crystal Geyser still water upon boarding, along with an assortment of canned sodas. The water was priced at $3.50 plus 15% gratuity per bottle. Your steward can bring you additional bottles if you need them, and they are available from the bars around the ship also.

Edited by Ryndam2002

When we cruised another line, we bought a water package, as I need water in morning and evening to take meds. I am not seeing where Princess has a water package available. Do they allow pax to bring bottled water aboard?

The tap water is fine for drinking and taking meds.

Bring a refillable bottle to avoid all that plastic waste, fill it from your tap, and chill it in the fridge - perfectly clean safe drinkable water.

I actually bring two refillable bottles so that one is always ready chilled in the fridge while I carry the other one with me. I use collapsible bottles so they don't take up much space in my backpack when I've drunk the water.

I bring a water bottle and I've been drinking ship water for years with no problems. I've rarely paid for bottled water. With me, it isn't just the waste, I'm not convinced bottled water sitting around on a semi or pallet somewhere in the heat is the safest either.

Agreed. The tap water is very pure. Double check the source of your bottled water. It could be city reservoir water. If so, the ship's water is just as good or better.

Agree. 19 cruises and counting, and the stateroom tap water is all we ever need. I bring a nice Princess bottle that I bought onboard, and refill as needed. (In fact, I've used it so much the Princess logo is wearing off.....)

Unfortunately Princess doesn't offer the water bottle pkg... yet. Who knows, it may be available down the road. Of course that doesn't help you now.

I'm one who drinks a ton of water on a daily basis. In the past, we have brought a carry-on full of water. It's easy when you sail from your home port. However, on the recent Tahiti/Hawaii cruise I brought along the brita hard sided water bottle w/filter and it fit the bill just perfectly. I'd fill the bottle up just before going to bed, leave it in the fridge and in the morning it would be chilled. It was great. In Canada they run about $15 or so dollars.

I, for one, do not like the idea of lugging cases of bottle water around. We drink the tap water all the time. There is an ice bucket in the refrigerator that the steward will keep filled too. Tap water and ice makes a nice refreshing drink anytime!

And any time you want you can o to any bar and ask for a glass of ice water for free!

There is nothing better after a nice stroll on deck to sit down and enjoy a nice glass of ice water for the bar!

Edited by AKman2495

I've never felt the need to carry water around all day with me...on the ship, any bar or eating venue will give you a glass of ice water whenever you ask.

In your cabin, the tap water is fine, but you will need ice, so have your cabin attendant keep you stocked with ice! The tap water never "runs cold", so ice is pretty much a must!

All of your food, drinks and ice is made with the same water that's in your bathroom tap!

We drank the tap water and it was fine, though it came out of the faucet kind of luke warm no matter how we turned the handle. (Well, that's not true. We could also get it hot. Just not cold.)

We also both used CPAP machines, and under special requests when we booked, we asked for distilled water to be left in the room. They did this without a problem and without a charge. While your water need is obviously different, if its to take pills, that's a medical need, and they should be willing to help out one way or another.

We drank the tap water and it was fine, though it came out of the faucet kind of luke warm no matter how we turned the handle. (Well, that's not true. We could also get it hot. Just not cold.)

We also both used CPAP machines, and under special requests when we booked, we asked for distilled water to be left in the room. They did this without a problem and without a charge. While your water need is obviously different, if its to take pills, that's a medical need, and they should be willing to help out one way or another.

While distilled water is needed for the CPAP machine (and it is lovely that Princess provides it), they already provide a great accommodation for those who need to swallow pills...potable tap water! I wouldn't expect them to provide all those who take oral meds with anything else.

Edited by rpcv77
Error

While distilled water is needed for the CPAP machine (and it is lovely that Princess provides it), they already provide a great accommodation for those who need to swallow pills...potable tap water! I wouldn't expect them to provide all those who take oral meds with anything else.

Now that I'm Elite, they provide champagne to wash my statins down, though Princess won't spring for Taittinger. Damn cutbacks!

Now that I'm Elite, they provide champagne to wash my statins down, though Princess won't spring for Taittinger. Damn cutbacks!

;). Seriously, though, there have been other threads discussing how shipboard water tends to be high in sodium. However pure and safe it may be, passengers who need to restrict this have to drink bottled water or use filters that remove salt content as much as possible.

I have read that sodium levels can vary from cruise to cruise, depending at least partly on whether local tap water was taken on in port, or sea water is being used and processed onboard.

Edited by Ryndam2002

;). Seriously, though, there have been other threads discussing how shipboard water tends to be high in sodium. However pure and safe it may be, passengers who need to restrict this have to drink bottled water or use filters that remove salt content as much as possible.

I have read that sodium levels can vary from cruise to cruise, depending at least partly on whether local tap water was taken on in port, or sea water is being used and processed onboard.

I'm unsure whether there's any hard and fast statistical evidence out there re: sodium in ship's water. I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking that shipboard water that's been desalinated properly should have a low sodium level. Also, tap water, according to EPA rules, must be disinfected and tested for E. Coli and Giardia, but not bottled waters, which are regulated by the FDA. I recently looked at an Alhambra water label: both sodium sulfate and sodium bicarbonate had been added for taste. And here in San Francisco, those who drink the popular Crystal Geyser brand get 50% more NaCl in their water than those of us who stick to tap.

While there are people who indeed have a medical need for a very low-salt diet, I'd be willing to bet you dinner at Sabatini's that a hefty majority of pax who schlep water onboard have never had their doctor tell them to shun tap, and a whole bunch of them are markedly overweight and/or cigarette smokers and/or eat bacon and French fries, and have no idea how much sodium is in the water they buy.

A lot has to do with status, or the vague feeling that by buying water, people are doing something healthy for their bodies, even if - as with the gluten-free fad - that's not necessarily factually so.

I'm unsure whether there's any hard and fast statistical evidence out there re: sodium in ship's water. I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking that shipboard water that's been desalinated properly should have a low sodium level. Also, tap water, according to EPA rules, must be disinfected and tested for E. Coli and Giardia, but not bottled waters, which are regulated by the FDA. I recently looked at an Alhambra water label: both sodium sulfate and sodium bicarbonate had been added for taste. And here in San Francisco, those who drink the popular Crystal Geyser brand get 50% more NaCl in their water than those of us who stick to tap.

While there are people who indeed have a medical need for a very low-salt diet, I'd be willing to bet you dinner at Sabatini's that a hefty majority of pax who schlep water onboard have never had their doctor tell them to shun tap, and a whole bunch of them are markedly overweight and/or cigarette smokers and/or eat bacon and French fries, and have no idea how much sodium is in the water they buy.

A lot has to do with status, or the vague feeling that by buying water, people are doing something healthy for their bodies, even if - as with the gluten-free fad - that's not necessarily factually so.

A few years ago a friend who was a chemist with the Water Board bought some water back and tested it. It was purer than the brand of bottled spring water marketed by the big[est] soft drink manufacturer.

You are supposed to use distilled in your CPAP to prevent mineral build-up in the water reservoir. It isn't necessary on the ship. Tap water is fine for short periods. If you do get a build-up, use a 1:2 vinegar:water solution to soak for a couple of hours. And don't forget to replace ALL of your supplies as recommended by the manufacturer and allowed by your insurance.