Check in question

BrownCalico

Good morning! Strange question...

I have upgraded from an inside stateroom to a balcony as an anniversary surprise for my husband. Is there any way to have our account noted so that they do not say what TYPE of room we are in when we check in? I want him to first find out when he walks in the room. I thought about putting a note on a sticky (post it note) on my credit card when we check in, but thought that might be a little too bankrobberish! :-) Ideas? ;)

Thank you!!

No guarantees, but as a general rule, the shore-side clerk who checks you in does not make any verbal reference to room type. Everything is done by cabin number that appears on your pre-registration form that you hand to them. They take your credit card, your health questionnaire, check your passports, take your picture, hand you your room cards and then send you on your merry way.

What is the reason for a picture to be taken?

Mainly, when they scan your key card each time you board or go ashore, your profile comes up on their computer screen, with the picture they took.

Wow seanote, guess we both were answering together. BUt then great minds think alike, as I see you're a fellow Sox fan. GO RED SOX (we'll do better next year, I hope).

Edited by QuiGonJohn

What is the health questionnaire? I don't recall ever having this on Carnival.

They ask how has your health been recently, type of questions.

Some important info about this. While mostly NCL was organized for check in at Whittier, this was one area that was seriously lacking. As we were walking into the building, they had someone yelling at us to walk under the awning to go the 20ft to the door, that people coming off buses were directly heading for, (not on the walkway). Yet once inside, NO DIRECTION OR APPROPRIATE SIGNAGE.

You see, I saw 2 large tables with folks gathered around them, and then off to the left, what was clearly the line to start check-in. So we got in the line. Once we actually got to a person helping people, (up near where the line was forming, thankfully), they asked us for our health forms. Not knowing anything about that, they had to tell me to go back to one of the 2 tables and fill it out, then get back in line. Seems they should have had someone just inside the door telling people to go there first, or large signs indicating this.

Alternatively, they could have you answer questions when you do your online check-in and print edocs. Or at least print a blank form and tell you to bring that along, filling it in the day of your cruise.

After that, it went pretty smoothly.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

What is the health questionnaire? I don't recall ever having this on Carnival.

It's a brief form that asks you to describe any symptoms of communicable illness you may be experiencing, such as any gastrointestinal difficulties, excessive coughing, etc.

Here's an example of one...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=263398&d=1362785106

I did just this on a cruise last year. I got an awesome deal on a balcony (our first balcony ever) and upgraded our interior to it. I didn't tell the hubby or my daughter and surprised them as I opened the door up. It was amazing and the looks on their faces. :D

Never once has anyone mentioned anything during check in about what type of room you are staying in. I think the only OBVIOUS way to tell a room would be if you booked something like the Haven...you best believe they are whisking you away to the private lounge, showering you with gifts, giving you a foot massage and manicure (just kidding of course), but it would be quite obvious that you didn't actually have an interior room in that case. :p

What is the reason for a picture to be taken?

Picture is taken twice during the check-in/boarding process- the first as stated is linked to your cabin card so when it is scanned your picture comes up on the screen, the second is the boarding picture the photographers take in front of a green screen. The first is mandatory, the second isn't. (And if you want a really cool boarding picture wear a light green shirt when you board- your head will be floating in air:)).

Wow seanote, guess we both were answering together. BUt then great minds think alike, as I see you're a fellow Sox fan. GO RED SOX (we'll do better next year, I hope).

Hard to do worse than last place

Red Sox are my American League team, love anyone who beats the Yankees

Hard to do worse than last place

Red Sox are my American League team, love anyone who beats the Yankees

Yep, and my NL team is the Braves. They looked real good most of the season, neck & neck with Washington, until Sept, when they only won 6 games all month.

Thanks everyone! I was trying to remember, but I thought they said "we have you in balcony stateroom xyz" or something similar. Jusr never really paid attention to that detail, I guess! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app