Costa Rica coffee question

summer slope

When DH & I visited Costa Rica several years ago, we too visited the local grocery store in town. I think it's a really fun thing to do in a foreign country! Bought local chocolate & several bags of coffee from different brands - no problems from customs either. Suitcase smelled wonderful coming home as a bonus!0

Just returned yesterday from a Panama Canal cruise (Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale). We bought 2 1811 coffee from a stand in port for 2 for $14.00 (each package was 500 grms or pound and 1.63 ounces.

My son went on a ship's tour and bought a pound of Terrazo for $8.00 a pound. Bargaining in Spanish helped!

Get roasted beans or even ground coffee to avoid any possible pests.

J

My son went on a ship's tour and bought a pound of Terrazo for $8.00 a pound. Bargaining in Spanish helped!

Mea culpa! He told me it was a little over 1/2 pound!

I looked under Costa Rica Terrazo or Costa Rica coffee on Amazon and prices were competetive. Don't know how fresh it would be - but again, buying in Costa Rica, one doesn't know either.

I have never been to costa rica by ship. I will be sailing on the zuiderdam in December if that help's with which pier.

Should have asked what PORT

Looks like Puerto Limon, Costa Rica ...there are coffee vendors right in the port or you can walk up 2 blks & left 2-3 blocks to the supermarket

If you are on the Partial Panama cruise you can also get good coffee beans at Colon ..there is a supermarket just outside the port building

Edited by LHT28

• 1 month later...

Reporting back on the coffee

We found at the pier the supermarket had small bags (250g) of the Cafe Chichen itza coffee ..not cheap but good coffee beans

They did have lots of ground coffee there as well

We also walked a few blks to the big supermarket & got a large bag of Beans 1kg... I think it was about $15 USD

I also checked the box with food on the customs forms ...the officer just asked what type of food & waved us on our way

Edited by LHT28

Holy Smokes! It never occurred to me that coffee is considered food on custom declarations. I only bought a small amount on a couple of occasions, but didn't know enough to claim it. Really appreciate being informed. THANKS!!!

I have been in and out of Costa Rica for more than 20 years and have always brought back coffee; while on ships or just staying at hotels. I also never thought of this as food and never declared it. I may just have to change my ways.

Edited by Pia1913

We had a private tour in Puerto Limon and it stopped near a grocery where we could buy coffee.

On the guide's advice we bought 1820--it was delicious. No problem getting it back into the USA.

A bit cheaper in the store than the pier as I remember.

On our honeymoon in Montego Bay - many moons ago :) - we fell in love with Blue Mountain Coffee.

We've enjoyed Maxwell Masterblend at home for the past few years. When in Jamica a couple of years ago we spent a small fortune on a couple of bags of Blue Mountain Coffee Beans. When we returned home I hurried to make a pot of the beloved Jamican coffee. What a let down - the taste was hardly any different than the Masterblend we drink every day - an arabica-robusta blend.

Hehehee... I gave the unopened Blue Mountain bag along with a nice coffee mug as a Christmas gift :D

We had a private tour in Puerto Limon and it stopped near a grocery where we could buy coffee.

On the guide's advice we bought 1820--it was delicious. No problem getting it back into the USA.

A bit cheaper in the store than the pier as I remember.

Interesting. Two weeks ago in Limon, Costa Rica we bought two bags of coffee in the shopping area of the pier:

Cafe 1820 Grano Entero - absolutely no taste, a waste of money IMO.

Cafe Brit Tarrazu montecielo - Grano - much better, but not great either. Not worth the bother to get it IMO.

I must have done something wrong.

No problem with customs - I put it on our form and was waved right through.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

If I purchase coffee at the dock, can I bring it back to the US without any problems with customs?

About 10yrs ago, not cruising, we brought home 32 lbs of the coffee it was excellent at $1.00lb. Last year the same was $14.00lb at the port. Buy in town. Likley cheaper