Ebola scare?

pearose

Thanks for calling me a liar.

I will just say you are wrong. Fever is a symptom.

Read this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-second-ebola-patient-20141015-story.html#page=2

Personally I am not to confident in the CDC guidelines of 99.5* vs 100.4* or whatever. Heck they could not even get the gloves right in Dallas. Fever is a symptom. She had a fever. That is my takeaway.

And frankly I don't care about Ebola in the wild. I care about it in the hospital, at the store, in my work place, on the school bus and on a cruise ship. I don't think it really matters were the virus originated once it starts spreading. 50% fatal is 50% fatal. I checked that math too!

You are welcome. You should avoid doing so.

I too believe that the CDC was wrong. I believe that the Dallas hospital was almost criminally wrong in letting the nurses care for Duncan without protective gear. I am angry when I see hasmet workers cleaning the nurse's apartments in better protection than I think the nurse had to work in.

I agree that we have reason now to be worried. However Ebola has not spread. There is no outbreak. Ebola is not "in the wild" in America. Also there is no host for the virus after every case is resolved. The viral host(s) all are in Africa most likely in the primate population. The most likely way that it gets from monkey primates into human primates is the eating of bushmeat. No one in America is hunting wild monkey for a gamey meal.

The "In the wild" means an ebola patient not directly related to the care of Mr. Duncan. Until that happens i am not concerned by the crazy Ebola fears. It may happen. The CDC's choices to date makes me fearful that it may happen, but it is hyper fear to be frozen by these concerns, it is hyper fear that project a hollywood virus syfy scenario.

The death rate in Africa is upwards of 70%, even 90% in some outbreaks. I do not want to find out what it will be in a country with very good medical care, but I would think it would be less than 50%, perhaps 25%. And yes, that is scarry.

As a virus affectionado, Ebola does not scare me. The incubation period is too short and it kills its host to fast. There are worse thing in the virus world.

Your take away that the nurse was infectious while in flight is correct, imnho, and I am POed about this too. The take away from you citation is the degree the Dallas hospital was unprepared for the patient care and the waste created. Secondly, the nurse was not vomiting and I'll assume not having dysentery. Just being sick with Ebola, having a temp, does not mean that she was shedding any virus product.

Edited by untailored bostonian

As long as the two nurses who are infected either fight off the virus or die,and no one else gets infected from treating them, and no one with Ebola enters the US, everything will be fine.

I really don't understand why people are canceling their cruises. There is a similar thread on the Royal boards and they are discussing canceling too. My next cruise is in 2016, so we will see how things go.

I will not give up my hump balcony until Ebola poses a real threat to cruises! :)

Unless you become patient #3.

My frustration is those saying those nurses didn't follow protocol, yet, there was no established protocol. More odd was watching that patient #2 being put on a plane by people in HAZMAT outfits, and one guy walking among them in plain clothes. WTH is going on?

My frustration is those saying those nurses didn't follow protocol, yet, there was no established protocol. More odd was watching that patient #2 being put on a plane by people in HAZMAT outfits, and one guy walking among them in plain clothes. WTH is going on?

I understand. I don't even know why the Ebola patients were treated at the Dallas hospital. They should have been flown immediately to a level 4 equipped hospital.

As long as the two nurses who are infected either fight off the virus or die,and no one else gets infected from treating them, and no one with Ebola enters the US, everything will be fine.

I really don't understand why people are canceling their cruises. There is a similar thread on the Royal boards and they are discussing canceling too. My next cruise is in 2016, so we will see how things go.

I will not give up my hump balcony until Ebola poses a real threat to cruises! :)

Your next cruise is in 2016 that is why you can be so confident

If it were a few weeks away?

3 months out?

Totally different

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your next cruise is in 2016 that is why you can be so confident

If it were a few weeks away?

3 months out?

Totally different

True, but it is not something I would cancel unless there was a case of Ebola near my home or onboard a ship.

That video really makes you wonder doesn't it?

Was the video fake?

Is there an antidote?

Timing of this is interesting I believe

Scare people into staying home?

Quarantine sometime around November 1st?

Hmmm

No the sky isn't falling my friends but I think some people are finally seeing all the propaganda out there and the hatred from those in power. CDC allowing her to fly? Lets not upset her of course.

And prayers for all of us if this whole thing is intentional.

I guess I'll jump in here. I too am very scared about the safety of my family when we fly and cruise in April due to the lack of precautions being taken to protect us, namely, no plane that has touched down in Africa should be allowed here and no person that has set foot in that area should be allowed on US soil.

That being said, everyone from the government spokespeople to people on here are saying the risk is very very low unless you touch fluids, its not spread by air etc etc. OK, answer this, an infected person in their 21 day time slot, not showing any symptoms (or maybe just mild ones) is on a plane, in a store, on a ship etc may not be spreading it by breathing on anyone, but what about the person with less than proper hygene goes to the bathroom and doesnt wash their hands or sneezes in their hands or whatever and then touches 10 different door knobs, shopping carts, whatever.....is this not spreading bodily fluids??? And be honest with yourselves, you KNOW there are more people out there that do this than we care to admit........

Just my .02

Totally understandable, I am thinking of cancelling my cruise as well, I am supposed to be going in November.

And there is a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance that everyone else will go on that cruise and have a great time and no one will get ebola.

I have been reading along. We have not cancelled either of our cruises; however, we have not purchased our air for May as of now. I am more worried currently about the seasonal flu, enterovirus and, on the cruise itself, noro- although we have taken many cruises and never been on one with an outbreak (it still spreads more easily and faster in the US than Ebola as of now). Not so much worried about HIV or Hep C for obvious reasons. Yes, the mortality rate of Ebola is alarming. I believe the animal vector is most commonly bats, which we have flying all around here. Assuming bats start wild outbreaks ...by biting one villager who then spreads it to the town, etc, etc, not likely to have a wild outbreak in the U.S. Pretty rare to hear of bat attacks and first one needs to be infected.

It's definitely something we all will want to follow. The cruise lines are generally very effective at decontaminating after noro (and porting the ship, canceling a cruise, if needed, to decontaminate). Who wants to be on the next cruise after an Ebola decontamination? What about that plane (someone already said their cleaning is questionable, and certainly no one is testing for Ebola after cleaning, or are they? Who? How reliable is the testing? They can't swab the entire plane!) Most of us wouldn't think twice about boarding after a noro decontamination. This certainly creates a huge responsibility for the cruise lines to educate themselves and prepare for isolating a patient and decontaminating a ship should a case be identified.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That video really makes you wonder doesn't it?

Was the video fake?

Is there an antidote?

Timing of this is interesting I believe

Scare people into staying home?

Quarantine sometime around November 1st?

Hmmm

No the sky isn't falling my friends but I think some people are finally seeing all the propaganda out there and the hatred from those in power. CDC allowing her to fly? Lets not upset her of course.

And prayers for all of us if this whole thing is intentional.

And think about this one. All of a sudden, restrictions nationally, but internationally, still OK. With a nonsense check of body temps for show.

Time for people to wake up.

Unless she was vomiting, bleeding, or defecating onto the man in plain clothes he was at no risk of infection. The is a protocol, but if you do not have the correct garb, you cannot implement it. Hazmat like outfits is what is needed for the medical folks.

I have been reading along. We have not cancelled either of our cruises; however, we have not purchased our air for May as of now. I am more worried currently about the seasonal flu, enterovirus and, on the cruise itself, noro- although we have taken many cruises and never been on one with an outbreak (it still spreads more easily and faster in the US than Ebola as of now). Not so much worried about HIV or Hep C for obvious reasons. Yes, the mortality rate of Ebola is alarming. I believe the animal vector is most commonly bats, which we have flying all around here. Assuming bats start wild outbreaks ...by biting one villager who then spreads it to the town, etc, etc, not likely to have a wild outbreak in the U.S. Pretty rare to hear of bat attacks and first one needs to be infected.

It's definitely something we all will want to follow. The cruise lines are generally very effective at decontaminating after noro (and porting the ship, canceling a cruise, if needed, to decontaminate). Who wants to be on the next cruise after an Ebola decontamination? What about that plane (someone already said their cleaning is questionable, and certainly no one is testing for Ebola after cleaning, or are they? Who? How reliable is the testing? They can't swab the entire plane!) Most of us wouldn't think twice about boarding after a noro decontamination. This certainly creates a huge responsibility for the cruise lines to educate themselves and prepare for isolating a patient and decontaminating a ship should a case be identified.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What on earth would they do if at debark and a possible Ebola where do the 4000 pax go?

Oh lord.

Unless she was vomiting, bleeding, or defecating onto the man in plain clothes he was at no risk of infection. The is a protocol, but if you do not have the correct garb, you cannot implement it. Hazmat like outfits is what is needed for the medical folks.

Ridiculous. The man was as close to her as the medical team. He even touched the red bags. Holding it open for the guy in the suit to put the soiled bag into

It is either insanity or just a script that was not well executed

I also find it interesting that there just happens to be a perfectly clear video from a perfect vantage point.

Something is wrong here.

Incompetence?

Ignorance?

Conspiracy?

Diversion?

I don't understand it.

We are in the twilight zone IMHO.

I am going to drop out of this thread, but a few points first.

The news media, and therefore the public as represented here by some posters, is hyperventilating Ebola. This is emotionally and critically on the level of a child who is afraid of the dark. Facts make no difference to these groups.

I read a post in this thread that uses imagery from the movie Contagion. This Hollywood portrayal of a worldwide pandemic is both scary and no where near as scary as a true pandemic would be. What is happening with Ebola is nothing like that. Also there is no risk of exposure that justifies avoiding air flight, or staying at home instead going on a cruise.

People will react to their level of their education to the facts. Those that project a global pandemic of Ebola in the coming months do not understand the facts related to this Ebola outbreak in Africa. If these same people were paying attention to the African epidemic months ago, and using their voices to get adequate aide into that area, that outbreak would have been controlled. But that was Africa, not America. Those were third world peoples and their suffering and their squalor was not worthy of our concern.

Since the "American Ebola" concerns, no updated accounts about the Ebola epidemic in Africa makes the news. Unless that outbreak is addressed, millions and million of cases will occur there. That is what we need to be afraid of because some of those sick individuals try to run away from their doom. This is my fear, not the incidental Ebola cases as a result of one Liberian bring it to Dallas.

Try not to be panic by the dust bunnies under the bed.

Hi I am from the UK

And yes I heard that as well, it said on our morning news, that she boarded a plane and that the US Authorities are desperately trying to trace the passengers on that plane!

So I don't know what the update will be when you guys are fully awake

Me I am not cancelling any cruises at all, but we do not go until April 2015 I can't wait to go on mine, but you know what they say about us Brits "Mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun". ;)

The news media, and therefore the public as represented here by some posters, is hyperventilating Ebola. This is emotionally and critically on the level of a child who is afraid of the dark. Facts make no difference to these groups.

I read a post in this thread that uses imagery from the movie Contagion. This Hollywood portrayal of a worldwide pandemic is both scary and no where near as scary as a true pandemic would be. What is happening with Ebola is nothing like that. Also there is no risk of exposure that justifies avoiding air flight, or staying at home instead going on a cruise.

People will react to their level of their education to the facts. Those that project a global pandemic of Ebola in the coming months do not understand the facts related to this Ebola outbreak in Africa. If these same people were paying attention to the African epidemic months ago, and using their voices to get adequate aide into that area, that outbreak would have been controlled. But that was Africa, not America. Those were third world peoples and their suffering and their squalor was not worthy of our concern.

Since the "American Ebola" concerns, no updated accounts about the Ebola epidemic in Africa makes the news. Unless that outbreak is addressed, millions and million of cases will occur there. That is what we need to be afraid of because some of those sick individuals try to run away from their doom. This is my fear, not the incidental Ebola cases as a result of one Liberian bring it to Dallas.

I bet you think it is overreaction to be upset about sending

the best of our military to Liberia?

When they come back?

Maybe they are told they must stay there?

Hmmm. The best of our military in Liberia. Interesting.

I bet you think it is overreaction to be upset about sending

the best of our military to Liberia?

When they come back?

Maybe they are told they must stay there?

Hmmm. The best of our military in Liberia. Interesting.

Absolutely not!

It should have been done 3 months ago. What is wrong is they are not medical professionals. I am not sure what their objectives are. I am not sure what level of protective gear they have for personal use. I want them to have full authority to detain and isolate anyone they believe to be infected even if it means using deadly force.

The world, not just America, needs to send enough M.A.S.H. units to those countries to effectively isolate their Ebola victims. I wish they were being used to quarantine those countries, allowing only medical workers in and enforcing 21 day isolation for anyone wanting to leave.

Edited by untailored bostonian

They this goes against why the plane that she took to Cleveland, that then went to Fort Lauderdale (a cruise port), back to Cleveland, then to Atlanta (a cruise hub), and back to Cleveland, has now been taken out of service, decontaminated, and put in a hanger.

The entire crew has been given time off for 21 days.

THis nurse was not sharing body fluids on that plane.

Absolutely not!

It should have been done 3 months ago. What is wrong is they are not medical professionals. I am not sure what their objectives are. I am not sure what level of protective gear they have for personal use. I want them to have full authority to detain and isolate anyone they believe to be infected even if it means using deadly force.

The world, not just America, needs to send enough M.A.S.H. units to those countries to effectively isolate their Ebola victims. I wish they were being used to quarantine those countries, allowing only medical workers in and enforcing 21 day isolation for anyone wanting to leave.

Hmmmm, our military men and women sent to Liberia ARE NOT ARMED!!!! What deadly force are you talking about? Actually, (and I will look this up) at WHO, that isolation/quarantine on people who have come into contact with an Ebola victim should be 42 days not 21. 200+ medical professionals have died from this disease. Sending more in means more body bags. The natives refuse to quit eating monkey and fruit bats, and they depend on their witch doctors to fix the problem. This is really out of everyone's control at this point. My medicine is to remain calm and be vigilant.

Here's one article, I'll keep looking:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonfortenbury/2014/10/15/21-days-not-a-long-enough-quarantine-for-ebola-according-to-new-study/

Edited by elliair

Hmmmm, our military men and women sent to Liberia ARE NOT ARMED!!!! What deadly force are you talking about? Actually, (and I will look this up) at WHO, that isolation/quarantine on people who have come into contact with an Ebola victim should be 42 days not 21. 200+ medical professionals have died from this disease. Sending more in means more body bags. The natives refuse to quit eating monkey and fruit bats, and they depend on their witch doctors to fix the problem. This is really out of everyone's control at this point. My medicine is to remain calm and be vigilant.

Here's one article, I'll keep looking:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonfortenbury/2014/10/15/21-days-not-a-long-enough-quarantine-for-ebola-according-to-new-study/

Oh geez they are not armed. Very bad

Way to insult and minimize those who have concerns on a scale greater than yours.

I gave up cable and get my news from the NYT and Reuters (Twitter). I am astounded at the debacle with the index case and the subsequent infection of the nurses. A nurse flew while symptomatic with Ebola, if we are to consider elevated temp a symptom (we are).

Is there something I'm missing? Am I hyperventilating and acting like a child?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk