Ebola scare?

pearose

Way to insult and minimize those who have concerns on a scale greater than yours.

I gave up cable and get my news from the NYT and Reuters (Twitter). I am astounded at the debacle with the index case and the subsequent infection of the nurses. A nurse flew while symptomatic with Ebola, if we are to consider elevated temp a symptom (we are).

Is there something I'm missing? Am I hyperventilating and acting like a child?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you are not missing anything

You are using your brains and Intelligence and realize something is just not right

Well at least the American people are waking up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmm, our military men and women sent to Liberia ARE NOT ARMED!!!! What deadly force are you talking about? Actually, (and I will look this up) at WHO, that isolation/quarantine on people who have come into contact with an Ebola victim should be 42 days not 21. 200+ medical professionals have died from this disease. Sending more in means more body bags. The natives refuse to quit eating monkey and fruit bats, and they depend on their witch doctors to fix the problem. This is really out of everyone's control at this point. My medicine is to remain calm and be vigilant.

Here's one article, I'll keep looking:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonfortenbury/2014/10/15/21-days-not-a-long-enough-quarantine-for-ebola-according-to-new-study/

I said I wish that they had that authority.

The 200+ were indigenous medical staff. Have you seen what they call medical facilities? They had very little in the way of protective garb, and they are treating thousands and thousands of dying Ebola victims. By the way they need many, many, many more body bags. Perhaps a million or more. I hope the world sends they the tools to handle their dying.

If there are million of infected, the risk of some getting out of the Hot Zone is a near certainty. The only way to end this African outbreak is to contain the sick, and let them die where they cannot infect others. The only end to the outbreak is to let it burn itself out and avoid new transmissions.

Because the virus has host in the local jungles, and the customs of eating anything they kill, will result in other outbreaks. There will be more outbreaks. Liberia is one of two totally separate outbreaks active in Africa today. There will be more in the future. The Liberia outbreak is the result of human to human contact, not eating habits. Their index case(s) are most likely bushmeat eaters, and you are right, we cannot stop that practice.

Edited by untailored bostonian

They quickly blamed the first nurse "breach in protocol". But it turned out there were only poor or no protocol. They quickly blamed the 2nd nurse "violated guidelines by flying on a commercial jetliner". Then it turned out that the nurse reported CDC and they allowed her to fly.

Sure these nurses were not the first medical workers who treated Ebola patients in this country. But they were the first medical workers who treated developing and dying Ebola patient. These brave yound ladies were fighting the deadly virus without adequate equipments or trainings. And those so-called experts who only saw some recovering patients still blamed them?!

I cruise in 3 weeks to the Caribbean and Mexico. There are no case of Ebola in the Caribbean, Central America, Or Mexico. But I am slightly concerned of the viral risks there. I fear Norovirus, so I will wash my hands with soap and water frequently. I have some concerns about Chikungunya and Dengue which are endemic in those regions. As a result I am taking an ample supply of 100% deet for my excursions.

I would not travel to certain area of China, and I would be concerned about trips to the Saudi regions of Africa. I would stay away from any thought of going to the Western regions of tropical Africa.

Cancelling a cruise out of America and Europe base on the facts on the ground is imnho a mistake. How many of us think avoiding Cleveland or Dallas makes any sense?

If you believe that there is an American outbreak, then yes you are. That day may come, but to project that based on the current evidence is fear mongering.

Epidemiology is fascinating. Part of that is projecting out. WHO estimates are up to 1.6 million by January. A far more worrisome spread is Africa to Asia. If it goes to India there is no way to contain and isolate. But as we see in the US, our front line containment and isolation is a great big fail.

Who knows what will happen but the concept of people descending in white spacesuits and putting places on lockdown and spiriting people away to level 4 containment facilities has given way to the reality of someone with Ebola flying to Cleveland to work on wedding plans like it's no big thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cruise in 3 weeks to the Caribbean and Mexico. There are no case of Ebola in the Caribbean, Central America, Or Mexico. But I am slightly concerned of the viral risks there. I fear Norovirus, so I will wash my hands with soap and water frequently. I have some concerns about Chikungunya and Dengue which are endemic in those regions. As a result I am taking an ample supply of 100% deet for my excursions.

I would not travel to certain area of China, and I would be concerned about trips to the Saudi regions of Africa. I would stay away from any thought of going to the Western regions of tropical Africa.

Cancelling a cruise out of America and Europe base on the facts on the ground is imnho a mistake. How many of us think avoiding Cleveland or Dallas makes any sense?

Yeah... No patients that you know of...

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me (I'm not referring to you, I'm referring to all of the supposedly "quaranteened people" or those who are being "monitored for symptoms"). There are possibly hundreds of those people right now who would not hesitate to join you on your cruise rather than cancel, just like Amber Vinson did with her trip to Cleveland. These people are not being watched, and many are probably idiots just like she was. What if she was on the ship and started to show symptoms at sea? There are hundreds of people now in the US who are at risk and not YET showing symptoms.

I can tell you that I'm from tallmadge and they have shut down 2 schools here already due to staff being on the flight with her. Her parents entire street is closed off, yet her family is NOT under quaranteen. Her parents were also at their doctor last week while she visited. My mom received the notice not to go into her physician office due to them being there until it is cleaned. Again, these people are NOT QUARANTEENED!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jetta8300

They quickly blamed the first nurse "breach in protocol". But it turned out there were only poor or no protocol. They quickly blamed the 2nd nurse "violated guidelines by flying on a commercial jetliner". Then it turned out that the nurse reported CDC and they allowed her to fly.

Sure these nurses were not the first medical workers who treated Ebola patients in this country. But they were the first medical workers who treated developing and dying Ebola patient. These brave yound ladies were fighting the deadly virus without adequate equipments or trainings. And those so-called experts who only saw some recovering patients still blamed them?!

Yes, I have a real problem with that, too. The CDC and the Dallas Hospital owe these young ladies and their families an apology for 'throwing them under the bus'.

Makes sense to me to stay away from any city with Ebola patients. No telling where they've been. The journalist doctor slipped out of her house to go get some soup, because she has that entitlement mentality. She should be fired along with the head of the CDC.

Living near Cleveland, they have closed several schools here and some college employees, that are relatives, are on a 21 day hiatus. School, that had employees on the flights, are being scrubbed and busses are being decontaminated. They have finally gone is full attack mode here. The nurse should have never been allowed away from Dallas to begin with. Ebola education is just starting here. A lot of talking heads and very little information. We cruise in 3 weeks. I planned on driving to FLL anyways. I am not buying, for a second, it's not easily spread. Try sitting in an airplane without touching next to you. BS. How about the carryon that's now overhead being bounced and rubbed on. The virus is known to survive on surfaces for weeks (fact).

Living near Cleveland, they have closed several schools here and some college employees, that are relatives, are on a 21 day hiatus. School, that had employees on the flights, are being scrubbed and busses are being decontaminated. They have finally gone is full attack mode here. The nurse should have never been allowed away from Dallas to begin with. Ebola education is just starting here. A lot of talking heads and very little information. We cruise in 3 weeks. I planned on driving to FLL anyways. I am not buying, for a second, it's not easily spread. Try sitting in an airplane without touching next to you. BS. How about the carryon that's now overhead being bounced and rubbed on. The virus is known to survive on surfaces for weeks (fact).

About being allowed out of Dallas. That nurse was being completely selfish by even going. She was in direct care of Duncan, she's a "professional" by trade, yet chose to expose herself not only to the public in general, but to expose herself to many in an airtight "container" full of people:(

No one took her by the hand and said don't travel, so she did. I'm sorry, but not travelling would have been Nursing 101!

I wonder who's doing the scrubbing and decontaminating and just how well they are protected. I bet minimum wage janitorial employees get even less protection and training than hospital nurses.

It's already popped up in my hometown (Dallas, TX) so I wouldn't be surprise if a case hits the Caribbean sometime soon. I think we'll continue to see more and more ebola cases outside Africa as time goes by unfortunately.

Not a worry for me though...I'm going to enjoy my cruise, no matter what the current disaster or epidemic is.

All, it's just a matter of time before someone boards a cruise ship with that disease, effecting the passengers and no one will be allowed to disembark until this incompetent government decides the fate of the passengers.

You can already see how the few cases that have come up now seem to be expanding. Although small in increments, but since patient zero, there are now three more. Watch the double effect my fellow cruisers!

About being allowed out of Dallas. That nurse was being completely selfish by even going. She was in direct care of Duncan, she's a "professional" by trade, yet chose to expose herself not only to the public in general, but to expose herself to many in an airtight "container" full of people:(

No one took her by the hand and said don't travel, so she did. I'm sorry, but not travelling would have been Nursing 101!

Wasn't going to post on here. The back and forth on this thread alone is enough to raise people's anxiety levels. But I agree 100% with this statement. She is a nurse......She treated an Ebola patient.....in a hospital who's nurses are now all saying that they weren't given proper protocols to follow for something such as this.......Its been in the news for weeks........I simply cannot understand how she could POSSIBLY think that it was ok to travel somewhere right after being in that situation much less in a plane. She shouldn't have had to have anyone tell her that. If you are monitoring yourself to ensure you don't start having symptoms....is that not enough to tell you that you shouldn't be traveling anywhere just yet?

Her becoming infected was due to lack of protocol. But her exposing hundreds of other people to the possibility of it wasn't a lack of protocol, that was a lack of common sense.

It appears Connecticut may have one case of Ebola, with a second person being closely monitored. Two medical students from Yale (Yale New Haven Hospital) returned from Sierra Leone a few days ago, DID CONTACT the CDC and were told if they had no contact with anyone having Ebola they did not need to be isolated. Both have been monitored by doctors anyway and one now has a fever and is being treated as having Ebola until tests can be conclusive. The second student has no symptoms. From all reports these two have been very responsible and the symptoms were reported immediately to the Doctor.

On the ABC affiliate there was mention of travel restrictions and cruises were mentioned (Not singled out) as wondering if anyone is screened if they were from or traveled from those African countries.

As for the 2nd Nurse - I alluded to her in another post here, she is the reason I most concerned, unlike the two medical students in Ct she had no regard for the dire effects she can cause, and there are surely more like her.

Edited by Tampa8