princess cays snorkel question

searoses

Do you have to wear one of those hideous float vests?.... I tie it to my ankle if I HAVE to be issued one....many reports on trip advisor about rocks getting in to the water....they can come and go....anyone there recently who had trouble getting in? I booked the regal for jan today....first princess cruise.....

No, you don't have to wear a vest (maybe unless you're a kid). The snorkeling is only so-so, maybe not even. The best areas are around rocky points, but you can enter through sand and swim over.

Edited by shepp

We were at Princess Cays 10 days ago. We went to the beach area to the right after getting off the tender, much smaller and less crowded than the larger area to the left. Water and beach were great. Very few rocks getting into the water. Saw many fish around the rock island that serves as the lifeguard stand. Had a fantastic day, weather, waster and beach were all fantastic! Have fun!

Edited by xyankee

If I recall correctly RCI did make you wear one of those vests years ago. I really think it had to do more with generating income from their rental stand than safety. We bought our own, used them a few times & since we're almost exclusively sailing Princess lately haven't had the opportunity to use them again.

Maybe Princess will begin requiring them someday in the future to capture some of the same $$ but as of yet you can snorkel without one. ;)

Do you have to wear one of those hideous float vests?.... I tie it to my ankle if I HAVE to be issued one....many reports on trip advisor about rocks getting in to the water....they can come and go....anyone there recently who had trouble getting in? I booked the regal for jan today....first princess cruise.....

If you get on your Princess cruise personalizer and go to the part for browsing and reserving shore excursions for Princess Cay, you can reserve a set of snorkeling gear. It will include mask, snorkel, flippers, and vest. I have been there several times and have never been required to wear the vest. I too don't like wearing them but then I am naturally buoyant enough, (fat), to keep me from sinking.

We bought the yellow blow up vests when we bought our own snorkel gear. For myself, I would never snorkel w/o a vest. I don't like being in water above my head w/o having something to hang on too (a mat) or a vest if I am snorkeling. Hubby wears one also, he just doesn't put much air in his. I would rather have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. Feel much safer and I can enjoy my snorkeling knowing I am safe. I cannot float, so would be lost w/o a vest.

When we were last at the Cays a couple years ago, we snorkeled in the area to the left of the pier (in front of the cabanas), thought it was pretty good, saw quite a few fish! We bring our own equipment & have vests, just because it makes it easier to just float along, but you don't HAVE to wear them, even if included in the rental.

When we were last at the Cays a couple years ago, we snorkeled in the area to the left of the pier (in front of the cabanas), thought it was pretty good, saw quite a few fish! We bring our own equipment & have vests, just because it makes it easier to just float along, but you don't HAVE to wear them, even if included in the rental.
In our trips there, we found the snorkeling to also be the best in front of and to the left of the pier. If you buy snorkeling equipment and bring it with you, it should pay for itself beginning your second snorkel experience. Edited by taxatty

We tried snorkeling to the right as you get off the tender. We found it very hard getting into the water with fins on as there were plenty of rocks to get in the way.

I have read here that if you want a better place to snorkel, head to the left hand side. A little more sandy there and I heard that the small dock along the beach has lots of fish to see. Thats where we plan to try on our next visit this winter.

I also saw on the excursion list for the island there is one for snorkeling somewhere around the island.

We pack our own gear and as we are both good swimmers, we don't wear the vests in this shallow water. If we are on an excursion elsewhere, then yes, we do.

Have a great cruise! Bring your sunscreen and your mosquito stuff with feet!

Bring your own snorkel stuff. It's not that expensive. You can wear a vest or not, depending on your comfort level. The snorkeling is great the farther you go along the beach. Princess Cay is a wonderful beach day IMO. Have fun. :D

My 12 year old son and I snorkeled all day at PC while my husband relaxed and older son tried out the wind surfing and stand up paddle boarding. We took our own gear and did not wear vests but we snorkel often. We found the best place to start was a beach to the left, beyond the food palapas, where there are stairs down to the beach. It is a few coves past the rental hut. We saw tons of fish. Best wishes for a great trip and clear weather on your snorkel day, either way a day at PC beasts any other!

When everyone mentions the beach "to the left", do you mean to the left as we get off the tender (so when we are looking towards the shore -> go left)?

This is a good point. When giving directions to beaches, dive sites and snorkel areas, it is always important to note: "To the left as you are on shore looking out at the water"; or "to the left as you are in the water, looking in at the shore." From what I have read, the best snorkeling is out by the hexagonal(?) viewing platform which is to the left, as you are in the water looking in at the shore. In the direction of the "adults only" beach.