Probably same old, same old from a Newb

OneKZCarp

Let me start by saying that, "no", I've not read all the thousands of posts and I'm sure somewhere in there are all my answers. :o

This is our first cruise and we booked a 14 night Southern Caribbean. To add to the anxiety we are celebrating my wife's 50th and our 30th wedding anniversary.

I think I've already decided on getting a Classic beverage package. My one concern is what percentage of drinks are going to be outside the package "not over" for beer, cocktails, wine. $6,$8,$9

Clothing. Bring less cloths and more money. 2 bathing suits at least one dinner formal outfit.

Excursions booked through the cruiseline are usually not the best way to go. Too expensive and can be over crowded. Find a local tour company in the port. Visit Port of Call forum for info. I am anxious about this one. Finding my way around a totally unknown place looking for the best beach seems a bit...dangerous.

What do people suggest?

We are a solitude couple. We usually rent a vacation home and go it alone. We do have friends and know how to get along, but what are the cruise do's and don'ts to meeting people on board?

It seems to me that you would want to get off the ship as often as possible. What are the pros and cons of this? Why would anyone want to do something they could do at home of a dry land hotel?

Ok, that's enough for now. As you can I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Breathe & Happy Anniversary.

To maintain your preferred solitude, pick Any Time dining. If you do not, even if you request a table for two with traditional dining, you will most likely be paired with others for dinner.

Your Q about the Classic beverage package is cruise line specific but with any of those "all you can drink" packages you have to know what is included, what are you habits & what do you like to drink. DH & I enjoy cocktails on vacation but most of what we drink is not included in the package so we don't get it. We'd rather have fewer drinks of stuff we like then more of stuff we don't care for.

If you are an otherwise seasoned traveler, doing your research & booking independently can save money. If you don't travel outside the country a lot, the more conservative option is too book through the cruise line. The one caveat is check your Roll Call thread & see if your fellow travelers have something interesting organized. Some good places to do research include the ports of call boards here; the sister site, TripAdvisor; local tourism board websites; and Fodors.

Some people sail for the ship & the on board amenities. They have no interest in getting off or have been to the particular island many times. It's a choice. If it's not yours, fine, get off at every port. Neither is right or wrong.

What ports will you be visiting? In many places it is easy to take a cab on your own to the beach or other places.

If you would like to eat alone ask for a table for 2 although you didn't mention which line you are traveling on.

As far as clothes......I personally would never tell anyone to bring less....especially a woman. I pack as much as I can possibly fit into my luggage.

Let me start by saying that, "no", I've not read all the thousands of posts and I'm sure somewhere in there are all my answers. :o

This is our first cruise and we booked a 14 night Southern Caribbean. To add to the anxiety we are celebrating my wife's 50th and our 30th wedding anniversary.

I think I've already decided on getting a Classic beverage package. My one concern is what percentage of drinks are going to be outside the package "not over" for beer, cocktails, wine. $6,$8,$9

Cruise line specific questions like this will get a better response on that line's forum. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Clothing. Bring less cloths and more money. 2 bathing suits at least one dinner formal outfit.

Excursions booked through the cruiseline are usually not the best way to go. Too expensive and can be over crowded. Find a local tour company in the port. Visit Port of Call forum for info. I am anxious about this one. Finding my way around a totally unknown place looking for the best beach seems a bit...dangerous.

What do people suggest?

Working outside your comfort zone is something you shouldn't do. Ship's tours can be the way to go until you become comfortable with going out on your own. We booked ship's tours at first but rarely do that any more. There is safety in numbers. A good place to meet a few of your fellow shipmates and organize/join independently booked port activities is within your roll call. We have often joined a group for tours in port but didn't feel obligated to socialize with them aboard ship. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1825754

We are a solitude couple. We usually rent a vacation home and go it alone. We do have friends and know how to get along, but what are the cruise do's and don'ts to meeting people on board?

Your roll call is one way to meet people ahead of time. The dinner table is another. Other than that, there are no rules. We are like you and do not go out of our way to meet people. We are sociable but don't have any drive to socialize.

It seems to me that you would want to get off the ship as often as possible. What are the pros and cons of this? Why would anyone want to do something they could do at home of a dry land hotel?

People cruise for different reasons. Some people enjoy the quiet aboard ship when everybody else is ashore in port. No chair hogs around the pool, reduced prices in the spa, etc. Others cruise to explore the ports and find that next land vacation destination (that's us). And still more get off the ship in a port they have never seen and head for a resort hotel to sit around their pool (never understood that).

Join your roll call. The folks there will likely be Celebrity veterans who can answer cruise line or ship specific questions. Roll call member often get together briefly at the start of the cruise to put a face to the names they have "met" electronically.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

As a first time cruiser I think you would be better off booking excursions through the cruise line, especially since you say you are uncomfortable finding you're way around a foreign country.

You might pay a bit more for a cruise line excursion but, the peace of mind you'll gain from not having to worry about anything except getting on and off the bus, is worth every penny.

I've taken a look at your itinerary and it's a great one. There are several ports you can easily explore on your own on foot and others that would be better suited to ship excursions.

Willemstad, Curacao: is a lovely port to stroll through. Stroll across the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge that connects the Punda and Otrabanda sections of Willemstad. You can also stop by the oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere. Stop by the Kura Hulanda Hotel a unique little oasis right in the center of town, a great place to have a cold drink and walk through the village within a village square and grounds.

St. Kitts: You might consider doing the Sugar Cane Train Ride, this is a three-hour train trip through the countryside and gets many good reviews here on Cruise Critic here's a link:

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/

We did something years ago called the Rocky Roller Tour which we booked through the ship. It was a large military type vehicle that took us up into the rain forest, it was quite enjoyable.

St. Maarten: If you're a beach fan, don't miss the excursion to Orient Bay Beach. There are always excursions here some three hours others longer. A shuttle bus from the ship will take you there, you will get a cocktail when you get to the beach and chairs on the sand. It's a really beautiful spot with azure blue water, love this beach.

Barbados: One of my favorite excursions of all is the Jeep Tour here. You can book this through the ship. I am certain it will be offered. You will be met in by a driver who's jeep holding about six or eight passengers will give you a tour around Barbados, up through the countryside, over to some cliffs for a view, a quick off-road romp through the sugar cane fields and topped off with a glass or two of special Island Punch.

Pick up a guide book and read up on all of the islands you are visiting and book the excursions that cover the places and pursuits you are most interested in experiencing.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Thanks everyone. All the information is very helpful. Sounds like it might be time to check in with my fellow cruiser via Roll Call.

Cruiserking, thanks for the port updates. We are beach people and are looking forward to snorkeling, swimming and simply relaxing on the beach. We like the ability to wade out to snorkel. Not keen on being dumped overboard in deep water.

Marie51, I think my wife will be in your camp. Bring as much as possible.

trish1c, thanks and remembering to breathe is good advice. Pretty soon here I'm going to make a few decisions then just cruise and enjoy.

Thanks everyone. All the information is very helpful. Sounds like it might be time to check in with my fellow cruiser via Roll Call.

Cruiserking, thanks for the port updates. We are beach people and are looking forward to snorkeling, swimming and simply relaxing on the beach. We like the ability to wade out to snorkel. Not keen on being dumped overboard in deep water.

Marie51, I think my wife will be in your camp. Bring as much as possible.

trish1c, thanks and remembering to breathe is good advice. Pretty soon here I'm going to make a few decisions then just cruise and enjoy.

Since you like the beach it is very easy to take a cab to Orient Beach in St Martin. You can rent chairs and get something to eat/drink at beach restaurants. Plenty of cabs there to take you back to the ship. Bring small bills. Very relaxing beach day......I've done it many times.

Get a guidebook on your ports...then the places you visit will NOT be "unknown"! A bit of research is the best way to get the most of your time ashore, whether you DIY or pay for an excursion.

On a cruise, you can be as social or alone as you like...just wait and see what feels right to you! Hubby and I take multiple vacations alone, but we do enjoy dinner with others, or chatting around the pool...it just gives us more to talk about! We've been together for 39 years...and it works for us!

Edited by cb at sea

I think I've already decided on getting a Classic beverage package. My one concern is what percentage of drinks are going to be outside the package "not over" for beer, cocktails, wine. $6,$8,$9 As others have said, check out the Celebrity board. And ask there if you can't find the answer on the Celebrity website (there should be a FAQ section).

Clothing. Bring less cloths and more money. 2 bathing suits at least one dinner formal outfit. I'm an overpacker. Unfortunately Celebrity doesn't have a self-service laundry (that's our dealbreaker as we've been taking two week cruises or pairing a week cruise with a land trip). On the plus size, I don't take many shoes. I'll wear my flat sandals all the time if I could (I actually have worn them on formal night).

What do people suggest? Most of the time, I go to the public library, get some guide books and take notes. Sometimes I'll even get the most recent edition of a guide book too (Amazon or if the little book store near us has it). I also google each port and there's usually a lot of tourism sites. Make sure to find a good map (some cruise lines will provide one with that day's ship newsletter, but usually it's not very complete and often more lists their "suggested stores").

When we do an excursion, it's booked through the ship. We seem to prefer the ones we've booked this way -- and sometimes I find the same independent excursion on line, and often the costs aren't that much different.

If you go out on your own, take the ship's newsletter which will have the time to be back on board (usually an half hour before sailaway), and check everyone's watches against the ship's clock.

I'll look (and maybe join) the roll call for our cruise, but we're not interested in booking our excursions this way.

I tend to be shy but not my hubby. So from the start, we'll go with the large table (it seems the best waiters get assigned to the bigger tables). We've also joined in on the cruising tradition in the casual buffet -- if you go at a busy time and there's spaces at a table, ask if you can join them. It seems most of the time, people are happy to meet others this way and we always say, please take a seat. Less waiting all the way around.

My hubby doesn't like standing in line, so we don't try to be the first off in any port or even on the last day of the cruise (any travel arrangements would avoid a morning flight -- or else, we stay in that city for a post-cruise stay and extend our vacation). And as someone mentioned, you don't even have to get off the ship at all (until the last morning, of course). There's some people who like a ship so much that they repeat cruises on it and don't bother to go into port each time.

I had it easy on my first cruise as my traveling companion (then my bf, now my hubby) had been on his first cruise already and was my guide.

My first piece of advice for anyone is to get to your embarkation port at least a day early. As we live an hour's drive from our closest port, we'll drive but leave around 10am or so. Anywhere else, we'll get there at least a day ahead.

My second piece of advice -- don't try to overdo things. Don't plan out every moment of every day -- part of the fun of a cruise is being able to simply relax.

Neither have I, and I've been on 25 cruises.

I think I've already decided on getting a Classic beverage package. My one concern is what percentage of drinks are going to be outside the package "not over" for beer, cocktails, wine. $6,$8,$9 What cruise line are you going on?

What do people suggest?

I agree. I would not recommend going independent for a first time cruiser. I will be on my 26th cruise in a few weeks. I have booked ALL of my excursions through the ship. I have done some independent excursions, but there is a lot to consider. For example, will the ship's time and local time be the same? This is not always the case and you must stay on ship time.

While I agree, why do something you can do at home, different people have different reasons for cruising. Some just want to relax and let others take care of things (cooking, washing dishes, cleaning the cabin ...). In fact, if you try to do too much (something that is easy for a first timer to do), you may find that you need a vacation from your vacation.

I'm assuming you're on Celebrity Eclipse's 14 night cruise. Here's the thing with the Classic package---if any drink is above the amount your package covers, and MANY alcohol beverages and wine are above the coverage point, you will have to pay the full cost of the drink---not just the difference in price. If you upgrade to the Premium package, most alcohol beverages and many wines are covered, and if your beverage is more expensive than the limit, all you'll pay is the price difference. For example, if you choose a glass of wine that's $19 a glass, all you'd pay is $6, but if you have the Classic, you'd pay the full $19.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I also suggest that you book the ship's excursions since you seem anxious about your first cruise.

Happy birthday to your wife and have a wonderful anniversary. Book one of the specialty restaurants for the celebrations -- maybe even buy a nice bottle of wine to celebrate.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for all the information. We will be fine if we simply find people like you on board. Being a newb, I just don't want to miss anything. I just need to remember that the first things are to enjoy the time with my wife, the ship, the scenery and let the rest take care of it's self. The guides books are a great idea. I've used those before and it made all the difference.

You will be glad to know that I've switch my vernacular to calling it a "ship" instead of a "boat". :rolleyes:

Edited by OneKZCarp

• 1 month later...

The results are in. Our Cruise is has completed and we had a great time. We did not get the drink package and I'm happy we didn't. The cost for all drinks for the both of us was about $700. That is less than 1 drink package. I'd be kicking had we purchased a package at $780 each. However, I suppose, if I had a drink package I would purchased more bottled water, soda and coffee. However, I doubt even then it would add more than $200 to our total.

We went on 5 ship excursions. I tried to get brave in Aruba and take the city bus to Eagle Beach, but got propositioned at the bus terminal and ran back to the ship and hid. I forgot the first rule, "Never go out alone". We did take a taxi to a beach in Curacoa, but felt like the price was too high and he let us off at the wrong beach. We argued that we were at the wrong beach, but after awhile he got a bit menacing and we decided to drop it. So, for me, I will always use the ship excursions.

Antigua Prickly Pear Island was by far the best excursion.

The results are in. Our Cruise is has completed and we had a great time. We did not get the drink package and I'm happy we didn't. The cost for all drinks for the both of us was about $700. That is less than 1 drink package. I'd be kicking had we purchased a package at $780 each. However, I suppose, if I had a drink package I would purchased more bottled water, soda and coffee. However, I doubt even then it would add more than $200 to our total.

$700 for drinks? I don't think I've paid that much for all my drinks on all my cruises. I've been on 26 cruises. However, it is your money and if you had a great time then that is all that counts, or matters. :)

We did take a taxi to a beach in Curacoa, but felt like the price was too high and he let us off at the wrong beach. We argued that we were at the wrong beach, but after awhile he got a bit menacing and we decided to drop it.

Good choice. The last group that got into a big argument over price spent time in jail on Antigua.

I also made a stupid mistake in Jamaica and forgot to very the price before taking what I believed was a taxi ride and what the taxi driver believed was a tour. That one cost me $100 (and I new better).

So what happened to you happens even to experienced cruisers.

$700 for drinks? I don't think I've paid that much for all my drinks on all my cruises. I've been on 26 cruises. However, it is your money and if you had a great time then that is all that counts, or matters. :)

Really?

Did I fail to mention that was for 2 people on a 14 day cruise? That is $25 a day including 15% gratuity. You don't drink soda, bottled water or specialty coffee? Not to mentioned alcohol. Not even 1 beer by the pool or a glass of wine with dinner? Well heck, it's your vacation. Water and brewed coffee for you. lol

It seems to me that you would want to get off the ship as often as possible. What are the pros and cons of this? . :rolleyes:

I get off the ship just to walk around the pier if we are not doing a land excursion-- (especially if going for 14 days)

I want to keep my land legs when i get back home.

(with our first cruise we stayed on the ship almost all week and it took forever to get rid of the sway I felt when I got back home)

I get off the ship just to walk around the pier if we are not doing a land excursion-- (especially if going for 14 days)

(with our first cruise we stayed on the ship almost all week and it took forever to get rid of the sway I felt when I got back home)

We had 5 excursions of the 8 ports we visited. I can't imagine staying on board. I live in a warm climate and have a pool in my backyard and beer in the refrigerator at home. If I'm sailing to see the Caribbean, I'm not staying on board just becuase it's quiet. I suppose after a few cruises the novelty will wear off. However, if that's the case I'll just stay at an all inclusive resort on one of the islands. Perhaps, it's just my ignorance talking. :D

Edited by OneKZCarp

This will be me. Even though ours is only 5 days, I would like to avoid sealegs as well

Did it work for you?

Really?

Did I fail to mention that was for 2 people on a 14 day cruise? That is $25 a day including 15% gratuity. You don't drink soda, bottled water or specialty coffee? Not to mentioned alcohol. Not even 1 beer by the pool or a glass of wine with dinner? Well heck, it's your vacation. Water and brewed coffee for you. lol

No, I don't drink soda (on a cruise), bottled water (waste of money, unless one is in Mexico - the ship's tap water is fine) or coffee (specialty or not - I doubt that I have had ten cups of any real coffee in my life). Three full priced alcoholic drinks on a seven day cruise would be a lot for me.

I was just on a two week repo cruise. I could get up to three (small) drinks per night for free. I had one or two and tipped $1 each. So for that one cruise I perhaps had 25 drinks costing me $25. Figure another about $25 per cruise on my prior cruises (where I had to pay full price - but would limit myself to two or three drinks total) and that comes to about $650 for 26 cruises.

Tap water, milk and juice is all I need or want while I am on a cruise. I have nothing against anyone drinking on a cruise (as long as you are not driving the ship). It is your money and you can spend it how you like. Still, $700 will get you a one week cruise in an inside cabin, so a $700 bar tab seem like a lot of money to me. Though, I doubt that you have set a record, even compared to some big single drinkers on a one week cruise.

Edited by Cuizer2

Not a bad price for two people for two weeks. If I don't get a package as part of the promo, I won't buy it. with the 'free' package, I will try new drinks and maybe drink one or two drinks more that I normally do. But not paying for it, is fine with us. Not worth it.

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and Celebrity. Are you addicted yet?

I hope other new cruisers are not discouraged from making their own tour arrangements by what they read on this thread. We've done it many times, both on Caribbean islands and in Europe. As well as saving money (because we do find ship's excursions more expensive, up to double the price) we've also enjoyed these activities more than the ship tours we've been on.

Why? Because the ship tours often have big groups, enough people to fill a big bus. That's a lot of people to load and unload at every stop and it takes time. Our private tours are usually in a taxi or a small van. As well, we can customize our tours, so we do things we're interested in, rather than fitting into a one-size-fits all package.

We've never had a problem with reliability or timing on our tours. You can check references on Trip Advisor or in the "Ports" section. These small tour operators make their living providing their service, and they make it their business to get you back to the ship on time. They know when the ship is leaving - the same time it left the last time it visited their port. And that info is also well-known by the port staff.

Hope you'll give the small tour operators a chance some time. You might really like it!