Complete list of Oasis of the Seas Drydock Changes

ahecht

Interesting, but where are you finding the statistics on "passenger density" for RCI and competitors?

This is typically called the Passenger Space Ratio and is the gross tonnage divided by the number of passengers. Here is how it breaks down for Royal Caribbean:

Ship, PSR (max occupancy), PSR (dbl occupancy)

Adventure of the Seas 36.00 44.01

Allure of the Seas ship 35.66 41.63

Anthem of the Seas 39.00 51.37

Brilliance of the Seas 36.00 42.89

Enchantment of the Seas 30.37 36.82

Explorer of the Seas 35.76 44.10

Freedom of the Seas 35.29 42.49

Grandeur of the Seas 30.25 37.85

Independence of the Seas 35.29 42.49

Jewel of the Seas 36.00 42.63

Legend of the Seas 33.33 38.32

Liberty of the Seas 35.29 42.49

Majesty of the Seas 27.00 31.00

Mariner of the Seas 36.32 44.40

Navigator of the Seas 36.32 44.40

Oasis of the Seas 35.66 41.63 40.43

Oasis III 35.66 41.63

Quantum of the Seas 39.00 51.37

Radiance of the Seas 35.59 42.11

Rhapsody of the Seas 32.49 39.29

Serenade of the Seas 36.00 42.63

Splendour of the Seas 33.33 37.77

Vision of the Seas 32.43 39.21

Voyager of the Seas 35.75 44.08

The third number for Oasis assumes 160 extra passengers (with the rest of the ship at double occupancy) because of the new cabins.

Here are the numbers for Carnival:

Ship, PSR (max occupancy), PSR (dbl occupancy)

Carnival Breeze 27.46 34.80

Carnival Conquest 30.31 37.00

Carnival Dream 27.71 35.20

Carnival Ecstasy 26.72 34.23

Carnival Elation 26.75 34.29

Carnival Fantasy 26.72 34.23

Carnival Fascination 26.75 34.29

Carnival Freedom 21.22 25.90

Carnival Glory 30.31 37.00

Carnival Imagination 26.75 34.29

Carnival Inspiration 26.75 34.29

Carnival Legend 33.03 41.67

Carnival Liberty 30.31 37.00

Carnival Magic 27.43 34.76

Carnival Miracle 33.03 41.67

Carnival Paradise 26.75 34.29

Carnival Pride 33.03 41.67

Carnival Sensation 26.75 34.29

Carnival Spirit 33.03 41.67

Carnival Splendor 30.96 37.69

Carnival Sunshine (Destiny) 31.72 38.36

Carnival Triumph 30.49 36.81

Carnival Valor 30.31 37.00

Carnival Victory 30.49 36.81

Tables are horrible here so look at the attached images for better formatting. :o

Carnival.jpg.5c7430dd6a58dc62aa3804f13bfb5d8b.jpg

Royal.jpg.b82450d1fc8c23bc6d6357cdc2a1300a.jpg

Edited by tahqa
Table didn't work

By the way, if you look at this number as a whole for the fleet you get these average figures for the fleets:

Royal Caribbean:

AVG PSR DBL: 42.59375

AVG PSR MAX: 35.256293

Carnival:

AVG PSR DBL: 36.089738

AVG PSR MAX: 28.89

Also consider that for standard type interior and OV rooms that Carnival rooms are usually larger than RC. Now, whether the space was in the cabin or not isn't going to change the overall PSR, but the larger room on Carnival means proportionately you get more of your smaller amount just in the room, and therefore proportionately less of an already smaller amount of space in the public areas.

Also consider that for standard type interior and OV rooms that Carnival rooms are usually larger than RC. Now, whether the space was in the cabin or not isn't going to change the overall PSR, but the larger room on Carnival means proportionately you get more of your smaller amount just in the room, and therefore proportionately less of an already smaller amount of space in the public areas.

Agreed. Historically speaking the Royal Caribbean 'way' was to have smaller cabins and larger public spaces so that the passenger was out of their cabin and spending money. It wasn't until the Vision class and later that cabins started to get larger.

The library is still on the Deck Plans from

14-Oct-2014 to 27-Oct-2014 deck plans and the 1-Nov-2014 to 30-May-2015 but is missing after 6-June-2015.

Wonderland is supposed to open in March 2015 according to the description, but I'd bet it'd going in the library.

I didn't see the new deck plans, and not sure whether anyone has this answer, but does that mean no more library after March 2015? We are sailing Nov 2015.

I didn't see the new deck plans, and not sure whether anyone has this answer, but does that mean no more library after March 2015? We are sailing Nov 2015.

At this point, I don't think anyone knows for sure. We'll have to wait for reports from passengers on the TA and those sailing on her after she gets back to the US.

I agree it is a bit confusing! :p

The library does still show on the plans for the date ranges of "14-Oct-2014 to 27-Oct-2014" and "01-Nov-2014 to 30-May-2015", but if you look at the furthest out set of dates (06-Jun-2015 to 30-Apr-2016) the Library is then missing.

One theory, that would account for this change over time, is that Dynamic Dining is not due to launch on Oasis until March 2015 or later, and the new Wonderland restaurant (in the former CL space) is part of the Dynamic Dining concept...so they probably don't need to really free up the library space, to probably fold into Wonderland, until Dynamic Dining starts up.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

When will Dynamic Dining be introduced on Allure?

Most likely after her dry dock, which I think is scheduled for around May 2015.

I suspect it will be sooner than that, as there are a number of cruises right behind that timeframe and they would probably not make people wait to the last minute to secure reservations.

Since they know it's coming...doing so in early 2015 is a possibility.

I suspect it will be sooner than that, as there are a number of cruises right behind that timeframe and they would probably not make people wait to the last minute to secure reservations.

Since they know it's coming...doing so in early 2015 is a possibility.

Well whenever it is, Royal should tell us. I'm considering an Allure or Indy cruise in the end of March/early April, and if Allure gets DD before her dry dock, I'll stick with Indy for this time around.

EDIT: I just did some dummy bookings for the Allure. Most of the Caribbean cruises before the dry dock, along with the TA, show Traditional Dining available, while most of the cruises in the Med after the dry dock, show no availability of Traditional Dining and no options for a wait list. This also leads me to believe that DD will be implemented following the dry dock.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

as far as the VCL goes, it kind of seems like a hit or miss thing as far as crowds go. Wife and I enjoy cocktails up there....quiet, good views, inside and a great service. Sometimes we go up and there are tons of people and other times not so much. We will miss it, but I totally understand the $$ behind the move, but as with any change there will be upset people and happy people....I think I am in the middle, will miss it, but one day I may enjoy the new space....We have never done a suite on a cruise....but one day we will...

Am I the only one that think it stinks that Royal is taking away public spaces to add more cabins to a ship with the most passenger capacity in the world? Making bathrooms smaller to squeeze in two cabins? We sail on Oasis next year. I will truly miss the VCL, loved the views. The secret balconies are great for sailaway or to get away. And Oasis was one of the few ships to have a chapel. If the changes were open to all, but they're not. Concierge & Diamond lounges weren't enough private spaces? I'm really feeling annoyed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

You are far from the only one. I sail on this ship again in a couple of weeks (my second year doing the Halloween cruise) and I find the changes "scary"! They are all about squeezing as much money out of every inch that they can, and as a stock holder in both RC and Carnival, I can see where this could be in part behind their stock doing much better than Carnival this year where even with Carnival disasters in the media in past times, they two stocks tracked about the same. More important to me than stock prices, though (perhaps because I don't own but the minimum required to get the on board ship credit perk), is to have a great cruise and I am REALLY disappointed that they made the VCL for the rich folks only (or rather those willing to blow more wad on their cabins/suites as my guess -from knowing people personally and what cabins they book- is plenty of people in inside cabins (and certainly balconies which aren't suite cabins) actually have more net worth than those in the suites (indeed, those who are multi-millionaires seem more likely to book inside suites than those who aren't and likely have under a million in assets, though there are exceptions naturally).

I loved the donut shop, too, and donuts on a tray is not the same experience. I also do believe the food in the free places is purposely going down hill just to try to get people to pay for their dinners, like they used to have top notch steaks and lobster some nights on RC cruises for free and now it seems they charge for those, at least on most nights.

And I loved the public balconies at the back and am really bummed that those have become new cabins, though I understand the financial motivation there.

Getting rid of the chapel also annoys me. We renewed our wedding vows for our 25th and purposely picked a ship with a chapel (NCL, not RC) and if we live to make it to 50 years, I guess there will be no chapels on any ship to use as I think all ships are likely going to go this route out of greed.

Okay, let me get to packing and stop sighing and griping here. I need to get back to my happy, positive place! ;)

You are far from the only one. I sail on this ship again in a couple of weeks (my second year doing the Halloween cruise) and I find the changes "scary"! They are all about squeezing as much money out of every inch that they can, and as a stock holder in both RC and Carnival, I can see where this could be in part behind their stock doing much better than Carnival this year where even with Carnival disasters in the media in past times, they two stocks tracked about the same. More important to me than stock prices, though (perhaps because I don't own but the minimum required to get the on board ship credit perk), is to have a great cruise and I am REALLY disappointed that they made the VCL for the rich folks only (or rather those willing to blow more wad on their cabins/suites as my guess -from knowing people personally and what cabins they book- is plenty of people in inside cabins (and certainly balconies which aren't suite cabins) actually have more net worth than those in the suites (indeed, those who are multi-millionaires seem more likely to book inside suites than those who aren't and likely have under a million in assets, though there are exceptions naturally).

I loved the donut shop, too, and donuts on a tray is not the same experience. I also do believe the food in the free places is purposely going down hill just to try to get people to pay for their dinners, like they used to have top notch steaks and lobster some nights on RC cruises for free and now it seems they charge for those, at least on most nights.

And I loved the public balconies at the back and am really bummed that those have become new cabins, though I understand the financial motivation there.

Getting rid of the chapel also annoys me. We renewed our wedding vows for our 25th and purposely picked a ship with a chapel (NCL, not RC) and if we live to make it to 50 years, I guess there will be no chapels on any ship to use as I think all ships are likely going to go this route out of greed.

Okay, let me get to packing and stop sighing and griping here. I need to get back to my happy, positive place! ;)

I'm exhausted just reading that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

EDIT: I just did some dummy bookings for the Allure. Most of the Caribbean cruises before the dry dock, along with the TA, show Traditional Dining available, while most of the cruises in the Med after the dry dock, show no availability of Traditional Dining and no options for a wait list. This also leads me to believe that DD will be implemented following the dry dock.

It's logical to assume that the dry dock is the opportunity to have the ship out of service and make such changes.

But booking for DD is generally available about 90 days before a cruise...and after full payment...so the "test reservations" you attempted would not represent the actual "live cruise with final payment" scenario.

It's also fair to assume that plans for DD on Allure will be announced in advance so that reserved passengers can plan accordingly.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

It's logical to assume that the dry dock is the opportunity to have the ship out of service and make such changes.

But booking for DD is generally available about 90 days before a cruise...and after full payment...so the "test reservations" you attempted would not represent the actual "live cruise with final payment" scenario.

It's also fair to assume that plans for DD on Allure will be announced in advance so that reserved passengers can plan accordingly.

I have actually found that booking for DD opens way earlier than booking specialty on ships without DD.

I already have all my DD reservations for my December 2015 cruise on Anthem.

I have actually found that booking for DD opens way earlier than booking specialty on ships without DD.

I already have all my DD reservations for my December 2015 cruise on Anthem.

I think the difference on those is that they are starting with DD instead of converting to it.

I will miss the Viking Crown Lounge. On every ship we visited this bar a number of times.

It was our tradition on the last night, after the packing was done but before we put it outside the door, to go up to this lounge and sit by the windows, have a drink and look out over the ship and talk about our past week and how fast it went. I will miss doing this.

I will find a new favorite bar.:)

Regarding lobster, american icon menu has surf and turf with Maine Lobster complimentary. Free restaurant and can have lobster every night.

I know where DD will want to eat:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the change list.

In addition to all those adjustments...the replacement of one engine and other mechanical updates were equally intriguing (in other threads already).

Oasis will be leaving dry dock this week and in significantly "newer and better" condition for sailing the next several years.

If a space was open to all & is now open to a few, then the change affects most. I didn't say most took advantage of them. Oasis does not have many spaces, besides pool/sports areas, that have an ocean view. Central Park is lovely, but no view of the water. My family loves Royal. We did Breakaway & didn't care for it compared to Royal. We like traditional dining, gone, we liked having a chapel, gone, we like relaxing in VCL at night, gone. I get they're a business, but why try to sell the same product as NCL? Be a different option. They had a good product, improve upon it, don't completely change it. Oasis has an advantage, as it is unique no matter what. But the smaller ships will have a harder time competing with NCL if their products are similar. Basically, you get less included for the same or more money. Sorry if I decline to agree. And for the record, I did not start with comment on anyone else's opinion, but shared my own.

Interesting..my friends, almost Diamond on Royal, went on the Breakaway last June & loved it..said food & entertainment BLEW RCI away..they LOVED The Waterfront area & all the great dining options & said all 7 nights of shows were OUTSTANDING...conversely, they went on the AOS in Feb, and said both food & entertainment were between mediocre & awful, and they would NEVER go on the AOS again...EVERY meal ( 5 in the specialty & 2 in MDR) were all very good to excellent, with Teppanyaki & Le Bistro ( my fav) being their favorites...