What would you do!!!!

c*r*u*I*s*e

We have 3 days to our cruise (Emerald princess 14th oct)
The cruise line rang and asked us to cancel our cruise, if we did they would give us a free 12 day cruise in June next year aboard Royal princess with balcony, and refund half money from our upcoming cruise.
Should we consider the offer???

That's a personal decision. Will you be really upset to miss the cruise you planned to take in 3 days? Will the cruise that is offered work for you or will it be problematic to cruise at that time?

[I][B]A free cruise next year isn't really free if you are only getting half of your money back on the current cruise...[/B][/I] You might want to tell them you would be happy to accommodate them but you need the full cost of your current cruise refunded.

[quote name='c*r*u*I*s*e']We have 3 days to our cruise (Emerald princess 14th oct)
The cruise line rang and asked us to cancel our cruise, if we did they would give us a free 12 day cruise in June next year aboard Royal princess with balcony, and refund half money from our upcoming cruise.
Should we consider the offer???[/QUOTE]

Hold out for all your money back, the upgrade and the free cruise. If they really need your cabin they'll give it to you. Otherwise, enjoy the cruise. I was supposed to be there with you.

[quote name='CruiserBruce']As we know nothing about your situation- your ability to go on that cruise next year, for example, or any air fares you have locked up and will use, or lose, very hard for us to make any recommendation for you.[/QUOTE]

OP is local to Southampton port.

I don't know what the official name of this is, but it's what many of us call a "move over offer."

Did you pick the date of next year's cruise or was this the option Princess offered you? The reason I'm asking is that for both of the move overs we were offered by Princess, it wasn't specified which cruise we could substitute in the first one (just if we would postpone our cruise for a few weeks, we would get a FULL refund and an upgrade from the lowest category on the ship -- I don't think there was a lower one, but it was a Plaza inside far forward -- to a balcony; the second one offer suggested a few choices, but for after the holidays -- which was the only time we could go due to school -- but a half refund).

If you are flexible about changing your sailing and want to call them, do try to negotiate for a full refund as you've heard of other Princess customers getting this for a move over, and if there's a different ship/sailing, you're interested in, then mention it. Otherwise, why have to wait til next year?

My family chose not to take the move overs for many reasons, but other people have jumped on them. If you don't take them up on it, you still have your original cruise, and they'll call others to get them to change their plans.

Hi Cool Cruiser

We are also due to sail on the Emerald next week so I really do understand your predicament. I have given your offer some thought and have come to the conclusion that I might reject Princesses offer.

I have been looking forward to this cruise for some time even though we have another shorter cruise booked on Cunard Queen Elizabeth in a couple of months. I have the suitcases ready to pack and am in need of this holiday.

I suppose you need to ask yourself:
1. Do you need a holiday NOW
2. Are there any cabins on another ship

Please come and let us all know your decision. Edited by Pjran

[quote name='SJSULIBRARIAN']I wouldn't take this offer. They will find someone who will. You have been looking forward to this cruise. Why give it up with only three days to go?[/QUOTE]

Ummm, 'cause they can get a 12 day for half of what they paid for their current cruise. Taking the offer makes sense IF it makes sense for them. Certainly worth significant consideration. Edited by Luvmyrotti

[quote name='seamwoman']Did you cancel this cruise? I was looking forward to your LIVE! Hope you will be
able to go on your other booked cruises. Karen[/QUOTE]

Waited until the last second; Mike still not cleared to fly. For now we can only grab local cruises, which we did for a few days 2 weeks ago.

Yes, the official name by Princess is "Moveover Offer". The one we got last year was for a substitute cruise 12 months later, valued four times what our cancelled cruise was, change from an inside to a balcony and all of our cruise fare refunded as cabin credit on the second cruise (just as good as a cash refund, in my opinion), and no additional charge for increase in insurance or port fees/taxes. This was from a counter offer I presented to them. Your results may differ. Good luck!

I think it depends how flexible you are. For us, it would be a no go. We have to plan our trips ahead of time due to work and only get so much time off a year. Plus I don't think I could ever not go on a cruise that was 3 days away! My mind is already half way to vacation land/sea a week before the cruise! ;)

[quote name='c*r*u*I*s*e']We have 3 days to our cruise (Emerald princess 14th oct)
Should we consider the offer???[/QUOTE]We had something similar happen, with a mover-over offer happening 3 days before our Western Mediterranean cruise was to set sail. However [U]we were able to choose[/U] another 12 day cruise - Aegean and Egypt for us - and were given a cabin upgrade (balcony to mini-suite), no change fees for Princess Air (actually got a refund as flights were less expensive), and were given a substantial [U]refundable[/U] OnBoard Credit.

In our case we got a better cabin, a cruise to somewhere we wanted to go (but couldn't afford), and that big OBC. We paid our original price (and had already received a cabin upgrade). For us this combination was a win-win situation.

I had to establish that it wouldn't be a problem for me to go back to work instead of the anticipated vacation, and to arrange for the future vacation time.

Thank you each and everyone who replied to this thread.
Our circumstances are that we booked the(canaries) cruise a year ago and have been counting down each and every day,as this was our only vacation planned for 2014
All of your replies made total sense too,for differing reasons.
I think if we had other cruises booked or vacations pending we would have taken the offer ,as this isn't the case I think it is a no-brainer.........Tuesday 14 October ......11 days aboard the lovely Emerald Princess in Madeira, Canary islands and Vigo,Spain..... We picked this cruise for its itinary,and time of year,and the offer itinerary didn't match this.
Thank you ever so much again,
Steve n wendy

[quote name='c*r*u*I*s*e']We picked this cruise for its itinary,and time of year,and the offer itinerary didn't match this.
Thank you ever so much again,
Steve n wendy[/QUOTE]

I would hold out for all your money back.

We got the best move over offer the day before the
cruise was scheduled to leave.

As you're not sold on what they are offering, wait and see
if they make a better offer, and if it is more interesting.

[quote name='Pia1913']Waited until the last second; Mike still not cleared to fly. For now we can only grab local cruises, which we did for a few days 2 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear Mike's been ill. Hope he's cleared to travel soon!

Kay