Early or Late

kenmerloo

Definitely early. We like to be on board between 10 and 11:00. we like to get there before the mobs so we can explore, take pictures while the ship is still empty and have a relaxing lunch and just sit by the pool. It's like an extra day onboard!

Definitely early. We like to be on board between 10 and 11:00. we like to get there before the mobs so we can explore, take pictures while the ship is still empty and have a relaxing lunch and just sit by the pool. It's like an extra day onboard!

most times passengers embark approx 12 noon and not between 10 and 11

I don't think you can board between 10 and 11, can you.

Don't know how you can say "most" board at noon, as I am sure it varies each cruise.

when i said most.... if they are on time and dont have staggered boarding princess will start to embark around 12 noon

When pray tell, have you ever boarded a Princess ship between 10 and 11?

We like to board early, Why not start our cruise as soon as possible?.

There are usually lines then, but we have not found them to be a real problem. In most port we have gotten on quickly.

Others prefer to wait till mid afternoon when the lines are gone.

When pray tell, have you ever boarded a Princess ship between 10 and 11?

Coming from Denver. But then again...I forgot to set my watch to local time! :D

We are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale on Oct 27. What is the best time to check in ? Is it better to go really early, or wait till the rush is over ?

Many thanks

If it is your first time on board, or if you are intent on signing up for certain limited access features such as the Sanctuary or Ultimate Ship's Tour, or you really want to have a sit down lunch in the Main Dining Room, then show up early, wait in line, and get on board around noon-ish. If you want to waltz on to the ship without so much as a moment's delay, with no lines and no waiting, show up between 2:00-2:30. It's scary how fast you can board when you arrive at 2:30. Of course, you chances of booking the Sanctuary for the full week, or getting into the Chef's Table or Ultimate Ship's Tour are slim to none. But if none of that matters to you, then go late.

Yes, this is our first cruise, so will probably go early.

Totally understandable. We are about to go on our 17th cruise next month (on Holland America) and have our 18th cruise (on Princess) booked for next year. And we get there as early as reasonable, because we are excited to get on the ship and start our cruise! After all those previous cruises!

As mentioned, we are on Princess next year, but this is after many years on other lines. Still waiting to hear about getting on between 10 and 11am. We are in a Suite (more reason we can get on early and be excited about it), so we want to be able to sign up for the Sanctuary and whatever other special things, and most importantly, get on as early as possible....

But I don't think you can get on between 10 and 11.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Yes, this is our first cruise, so will probably go early.
We go early (around 11 most cruises) because we now get the "preferred" boarding passes that cut down on our waiting time. Those start after five cruises. Princess boards Elites, suite passengers, and passengers needing wheelchair assistance first, then Platinum passengers, then the rest. Depending on how many of the former are on your cruise, it could be awhile before they start getting to the rest. If you get there at 10, you could have an hour of waiting before being allowed to check in and then an hour and a half of waiting afterward. If you waited until noon to get there, you might be able to cut that waiting time in half.

Out of Ft. Lauderdale on Princess they begin boarding Elite/Suite at about Noon. ;)

LuLu

Most passengers are still onboard at 930 1000, and b2b dont leave until 1030 or so

Thanks OCruisers...that is what I have been looking for.

M4dC0w seems to be saying the bulk of pax getting off are still on board at 9:30. Doesn't sound reasonable to me either, and our last 4 cruises (all on HAL), the ship has been calling final disembarkation before 9:30, when we are on the B2B we have been meeting at 9:15 or 9:30, and off the ship for clearance at FLL by 10am.

That may have been on HAL,.

This is Princess, on Sept 25th at FLL, we were on a b2b, schedulled for 10:30 at the Island dining room, after leaving the ship we were back onboard by 1115. So believe what you want, I know what we did

There were 500 b2b passengers, and the ship was empty quite a while until after 12 noon, assuming the started baoarding by then

Edited by M4dC0w

That may have been on HAL,.

This is Princess, on Sept 25th at FLL, we were on a b2b, schedulled for 10:30 at the Island dining room, after leaving the ship we were back onboard by 1115. So believe what you want, I know what we did

There were 500 b2b passengers, and the ship was empty quite a while until after 12 noon, assuming the started baoarding by then

I guess the problem comes from drawing generalizations about what "most" people do based on what you did, or what 500 b2b people did. There were over 3,000 people on board. Most of those who were not on b2b cruises had disembarkation times between 7:30-9:00. So I think if you asked a Princess "regular" what time "most people" get off the ship, the common understanding would be between 7:30-9:00. Which is why a statement that "Most passengers are still onboard at 9:30 10:00" seems odd. Notwithstanding what you, personally, experienced.

Edited by JimmyVWine

M4dC0w seems to be saying the bulk of pax getting off are still on board at 9:30. Doesn't sound reasonable to me either, and our last 4 cruises (all on HAL), the ship has been calling final disembarkation before 9:30, when we are on the B2B we have been meeting at 9:15 or 9:30, and off the ship for clearance at FLL by 10am.

Isn't what happens on Princess. It is usually 10:30 or 11:00 before all passengers are disembarked. At least that is our experience (I am sitting here looking at the disembarkation schedule from our last cruise on the Ruby in March. It shows our group as leaving at 10:30am and I can tell you that we left about 15 minutes late.). Also, FWIW, no matter how early we are at port, we have not seen Princess begin embarking passengers until 12 noon or a little later. Also, unless you are a Suite, Elite or Platinum passenger you will be waiting longer.

Enjoy your cruise no matter when you are boarded. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Like Kenmerloo i am also a newbie to cruising. I figured I'd check out of my hotel room at 11am and head to the ship. After reading this thread I actually learned nothing, so I will carry on with my original game plan and hope for the best. I do have a question, what is a 2b2?

Like Kenmerloo i am also a newbie to cruising. I figured I'd check out of my hotel room at 11am and head to the ship. After reading this thread I actually learned nothing, so I will carry on with my original game plan and hope for the best. I do have a question, what is a 2b2?

It can be confusing. Sorry. If you want to be among the first non-preferred people to board, you have to arrive early (10:45-11:00) and be prepared to stand in line and have a boring wait. At some unknown time after 12:00, people will start to board. No way to know exactly when. So the drudgery of a long wait results in the reward of earlier boarding. Many people hate the waiting. They like to pull up to the pier and get through security quickly without standing or sitting around. This is done if you show up after 2:00. You just have to choose which boarding scenario suits you better. A long wait with earlier entry, or no wait with later entry.

A b2b is a back-to-back cruise. Two successive cruises on the same ship. Princess detects these itineraries and makes special arrangements for these passengers. They still have to get off the ship and re-board, but they can get off their first cruise later and board their second cruise earlier.

For me its just about getting to the pier. Once the car is parked and I am in "any" line, I am happy. I usually am very impatient but once I am standing in line to board (and I have checked for the 121 time that I got the boarding passes and passports) I become much more relaxed. I usually get there early but don't mind a wait, its just part of the cruise. I should point out that I even like the muster drill. I heard we dont have to take the life jackets any more, how disappointing, its always one of the first pictures:(

For me its just about getting to the pier. Once the car is parked and I am in "any" line, I am happy. I usually am very impatient but once I am standing in line to board (and I have checked for the 121 time that I got the boarding passes and passports) I become much more relaxed. I usually get there early but don't mind a wait, its just part of the cruise.

That desrcribes me as well. My wife....not so much.