How far in advance?

beachlover777

First, what port are we talking about? In most Florida situations, a taxi is the preferred transport method, so no prior arrangements are required. Exceptions, Port Canaveral/Orlando cruises, and travel between Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Not sure why you are waiting on hotels? Price drops? If the price drops, you cancel and rebook at the lower price.

I guess it was just more of a general question to see what others do.

Personally, I'm looking at PC area and I think the private transfer I looked into (executive VIP) is non-refundable which is why I was waiting. The hotel, well I guess I wasn't sure if it was too early to book. I suppose if there was an issue I could always cancel.

I was just wondering if people usually book this stuff when they book their cruise or if they wait until closer to the sailing date.

How far in advance do people book transfers and hotels for their cruises? We are two months away so I wasn't sure if I should do it now or wait a bit longer.

I normally book my hotel as early as possible (I book directly with the hotel). Then I watch the prices and rebook if they go down. Since there is no penalty on hotel bookings being cancelled, you have nothing to lose this way.

DaveOKC

When I book my hotel depends on when the cruise is and what port I'm going out of. If the cruise is out of Ft. Lauderdale, I'm very familiar with the area and aware of the peak season so I book earlier if during peak season as soon after I book the cruise. If off season I feel comfortable waiting a bit.

If I don't know the departure port city, I book rather close to cruise booking time. I was very unsure for our second cruise (Alaska) so I did the RC transfer/hotel/flight all together so RC would be the organizer.

How far in advance do people book transfers and hotels for their cruises? We are two months away so I wasn't sure if I should do it now or wait a bit longer.

I book directly with a hotel so I book as far in advance as I can, and then I monitor pricing. Often the pricing goes up. However, if it goes down I then obtain the lower price. So if this is me, I would book it today.

For a transfer I would book it particularly if you are using a private transfer because sometimes companies have maximum limits on how many people they can carry.

Keith

I BOOKed my cruise 2 years out and hotel 1 year out. Remember 30,000 people or more are staying the night before a cruise so why would you wait so long to book. They will charge you more if you wait the last min. Taxis you have no problems getting to the airport . They have plenty.

I don't prearrange transportation. That is if the hotel is only a few mins. away from the cruise. We did before a bus and we waited hours for it. And I don't call for a taxi either. They are late too. We just walk out front of the hotel and flag one down. Do the same after the cruise.

We prearrange a bus from the cruise to the airport one year and we were the last people to leave the port.Never again.

When is your cruise? Sorry I may have missed that. My cruise is in Jan. 2016 and I have booked my hotel for Port Canaveral. I book the hotel very shortly after I book the cruise. Why? Because I didn't have to pay anything and it's refundable up to 24 hours in advance and I have done my homework. I know what hotel I want and why wait.

If I see it cheaper I can always cancel and re book. But here's the thing. Introductory rates are a lot of times the cheapest rates the hotel offers. They then adjust them up or down based on demand. And, I am going to Florida in January. That is peak season. I doubt it will go down, but if it does I am protected. I can cancel and rebook. If you know the hotel you want you better jump on it. Hotels are only so big, once they're sold out, they're sold out....

As far as shuttles go, usually you have to pay those up front so once I have booked my non-refundable airfare I book the shuttle. I for sure want to wait until I have flight times and numbers and more secure plans. Once I have all that together I book the shuttle, because they will need and want that information.

I book with Southwest Airlines and I book their flights as soon as they come open. Same thing. Their prices rarely go down and they get picked over quickly.

I hope this helped you :)

Edited by kelkel2

I always book my hotel very soon after booking my cruise....I booked my hotel for next Sept's cruise just a couple weeks ago...I only waited that long because the hotels didn't accept bookings that early...;)

I waited mostly because I wasn't sure where to stay and the details of how we were getting to the port. I did book our hotel today since I was off (thanks Columbus!). I have to decide on our private transfer to our hotel in cocoa beach ASAP. A taxi would be a bit easier, but we need a car seat for my toddler so it won't be as easy. We sail in December so I guess I was a bit last minute on things. We usually do all inclusive resort vacations so the cruising stuff is kinda new to me. At least I know for next time, I should book the hotel early lol!