Oasis of the Seas TransAtlantic Voyage Through the Eyes of Art & Ellie

artbcpa

I have to give a shout out this morning to my new favorite breakfast place - the Wipe Out Cafe. They specialize in pancakes, waffles and french toast - three of my favorite breakfasts. They have a series of syrup choices and fruit to boot. I made my pancakes into banana pancakes. I was also impressed that they had raisin challah (egg bread). It was excellent. Many of the locations also have lox, bagels and creme cheese. So when I went down to the dog house and ordered a Coney Island hot dog, I was surprised that they didn't have relish for the hot dogs. LOL

It is now time for bridge. I will check in later.

Good to hear you enjoyed the Wipe Out Café. it is a nice outside alternative and when we've eaten there on the Allure, it always seemed fresh.

On the Allure, there was a small table to the left of the Dog House that had mustard and relish packets. Just cannot eat a hotdog with them! :) Guess another detail yet to be resolved from dry dock. :p

Thanks for your perspective on this post dry dock cruise.

Great review and information Art. I am surprised to hear about the carpet cleaning issue, as early dry-dock info indicated that all new carpet was going to be installed throughout the ship. We will be boarding on Nov 29 LOL!

One other issue for me... why do people quote a long post, that was just above thiers, then make a one line comment. Seems like a great waste.

Just Sayin !

Enjoying the review, Art. We are also in a GS and knew nothing about another CL in Dazzles? We also didn't know about breakfast and lunch in Chops for suite guests until I just kept asking questions. I feel that there should have been better communication about these types of things, especially considering the price of the suite.

We are also experiencing many of the same customer service issues that you have experienced. Just had breakfast at Johnny Rockets with the most surly, miserable server ever. She never greeted us, never smiled, no response when we said thank you when she brought things to the table... I find it really strange that RCI would allow a person like this to have any contact with passengers. I did mention it briefly to the supervisor.

Enjoy the rest of the crossing!!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Hi Art,

Great review so far. As I mentioned before a few days ago, we were also booked on the cruise...I think we were one of the first since we booked while on the Freedom OTS in April 2013 at 7:30 am. But after 6 months of thinking about how Crowded and the possibility of the ship not being finished renovating...we jumped to the Adventurer OTS.....plus for the fact we are really Port Guys and water and sun Guys. So I think we made the correct decision in changing. If you could, can you give weather report everyday and possibly let us know where you are on the pond?

If I can, For Chelsea1.....Do you know if the Adventurer will sail out of the same Dock as the Oasis? Does RCL have a certain dock for all ships?

Like you...after dozen and dozen of Cruises...we like to be the last on Board and skip the Long Lines. Can we drop Luggage early and go sight see in Town? Is there a store close by the port so we can buy water? Is there a MUST see or do in Southampton. Thanks for any info you can supply!

And Art, Weather in So Cal is still Beautiful...Mid 80's all this week.

Have FUN everyone! :):):)

Doesn't Adventure sail out of San Juan?

Not till next month; right now it's sailing out of Southampton. As a veteran of many cruises from Southampton, berths are assigned based on the port traffic on any given day and will vary by date for any given ship. It appears Adventure TA is due to sail from QE2 terminal; I would doubt that would be used for the OASIS.

According to the schedule the prior Adventure voyage sails from the City Terminal. I think Ocean Terminal is the biggest in Southampton and that is likely the one Oasis used.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Enjoying the review, Art. We are also in a GS and knew nothing about another CL in Dazzles? We also didn't know about breakfast and lunch in Chops for suite guests until I just kept asking questions. I feel that there should have been better communication about these types of things, especially considering the price of the suite.

We are also experiencing many of the same customer service issues that you have experienced. Just had breakfast at Johnny Rockets with the most surly, miserable server ever. She never greeted us, never smiled, no response when we said thank you when she brought things to the table... I find it really strange that RCI would allow a person like this to have any contact with passengers. I did mention it briefly to the supervisor.

Enjoy the rest of the crossing!!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Is this complimentary for suite guests on Oasis ? Is this because Coastal Kitchen is not done ??

I have never heard of this but it would be a great perk. We sail in a few weeks.

A link to my photos from sailaway:

Unfortunately I had to greatly reduce the pixels in order to post them, but I still believe some of them are quite good, especially when you consider it was midnight.

Hi Art,

<snip>

If I can, For Chelsea1.....Do you know if the Adventurer will sail out of the same Dock as the Oasis? Does RCL have a certain dock for all ships?

......Is there a store close by the port so we can buy water? Is there a MUST see or do in Southampton. Thanks for any info you can supply!

And Art, Weather in So Cal is still Beautiful...Mid 80's all this week.

Have FUN everyone! :):):)

It looks to me from Art's sailaway photos that he sailed from Ocean Terminal. Adventure looks like it will sail from QE2 terminal on her TA. It should be about 1 to 1 1/2 miles from the shopping areas to the dock.

Roy

Is this complimentary for suite guests on Oasis ? Is this because Coastal Kitchen is not done ??

I have never heard of this but it would be a great perk. We sail in a few weeks.

It's what they do on the smaller ships for suite guests. I assume they're doing it on Oasis right now because the CL is closed and CK isn't completed. We probably won't have the Chops dining since Coastal Kitchen opens November 8th.

I didn't want to go to bed without ending the day on a positive note. We went to the headliner show with Gary Williams. He put on a fabulous show. We then finished the evening at the Schooner lounge as pianist/singer Jim Long did a tribute to Elton John. It was a lovely way to end the day.

Tomorrow is another day. ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed the entertainment.....what else have you been able to take in as far as the entertainment goes.

It's what they do on the smaller ships for suite guests. I assume they're doing it on Oasis right now because the CL is closed and CK isn't completed. We probably won't have the Chops dining since Coastal Kitchen opens November 8th.

We too are the thinking about canceling Chops for Our November cruise. It has slipped a lot over the years, and the cost has only gone up. Costal Kitchen is looking and sounding good to me.

I had the opportunity this morning to visit a part of the ship that fortunately not too many get to see :D - the medical facilities. They are quite nice.

Last evening while walking down the stairs, the ship rocked just as I was reaching for the next step. I missed the step and felt a twinge in my knee. I tried icing it off and on the rest of the evening and night, but it was no better in the morning. So I went to see the doctor.

Fortunately he said it was not serious except for the pain. So I guess I will be mostly off my feet for the next couple of days - no need for crutches or wheel chair or surgery.

I will have time to read, post some photos, and answer any questions you might have (where I can).

Art, I'm sorry to hear about your mishap, but thankfully it's nothing more serious.

I'm not sorry that you're going to spend some of your down time adding to this wonderful review and posting pictures!:)

I hope you're "up and running" in no time!

Art, I'm sorry to hear about your mishap, but thankfully it's nothing more serious.

I'm not sorry that you're going to spend some of your down time adding to this wonderful review and posting pictures!:)

I hope you're "up and running" in no time!

Me too. Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear that, hope it is not too painful. Ship is rocking a bit this morning.

Quick update from us. We had a good dinner last night in the MDR, it was formal night. Enjoyed prime rib and lobster (ordered 1 entree each plus a lobster). Dined with a very nice couple and we were last to leave dining room @11PM.

Came back to find a strange smell in the bathroom and bath half full of old dirty soapy water, which was definitely not ours! There have been strange pumping noises and the water must have backed up into our bath from somewhere else. Gave it a good hose down with the shower and put the plug down very tight. It is fine this morning so hopefully it was a one-off.

Weather is cloudy today, but sun is trying to break through. Ship is moving a bit probably due to swell as wind is quite light.

Regarding question about Southampton terminals, they are all quite a distance from the shops and I don't recall any local convenience stores. The embarkation is usually pretty quick - Southampton is used to handling Independence and QM2 size ships. Hopefully the Oasis boarding was an isolated issue.

I have added photos from around the ship, including our Grand Suite, fitness center, Boardwalk and more still to come.

Great photos including the one of the work area still in progress.

From what I saw (from what I believe must have been the M&M), it wasn't at all conducive to mingling with others whom you have interacted with on the boards in the past few months leading up to the cruise.