Canceling to rebook?

agentcorona

I initially booked my cruise back in May. Now I'm considering canceling to rebook in order to purchase 'cancel for any reason' trip insurance. I also would like to transfer the newly booked reservation to a TA for the perks. I understand I would lose my initial room if not rebooked immediately and all the other reservations/excursions. However is there any real downside to this I am not seeing? The deposit to book is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Price would be the current price for your room.

Any incentives with the original booking would be lost, but you would get the current incentives. FOr example the original might have some OBC for each person. If that offer has expired you would not get it with the new booking.

Verify that you would not lose the original deposit.

I am not sure this plan will work. Ins company can easily find out you had a previous booking. Suggest you be very sure you are eligible for this insurance before you cancel.

Yes...perhaps a "look back" period..your advice to be cautious is wise.

I initially booked my cruise back in May. Now I'm considering canceling to rebook in order to purchase 'cancel for any reason' trip insurance. I also would like to transfer the newly booked reservation to a TA for the perks. I understand I would lose my initial room if not rebooked immediately and all the other reservations/excursions. However is there any real downside to this I am not seeing? The deposit to book is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It likely will not work. Please read this information

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/can-i-re-book-to-reset-my-initial-deposit-date/

You would need to change trip dates and document that no funds from first booking were applied to second booking. But it also depends on which policy you are considering.

VERIFY this but

I think most companies would sell you a new policy for your 'new' booking but when it might come time to make a claim, they will learn you had already booked and cancelled that same cruise. I seriously doubt a company would pay a claim under those circumstances but do your research and please let us know what you learn.

You'd be better off cancelling the existing cruise and booking a totally different one.

Edited by sail7seas