Which website can I visit without paying?

acegolfer25

Once connected to wifi, I can still visit a limited number of websites without paying the fee.

If correct, what are those websites?

You pay to connect to wifi ! Where you go after that is entirely up to you.

What is free is an "intranet" facility allowing you to access certain Princess sites.

Edited by taxmantoo

You to pay to connect to wifi ! Where you go after that is entirely up to you.

What is free is an "intranet" facility allowing you to access certain Princess sites.

Can anyone confirm this?

Using my laptop via wifi, I can visit certain Princess sites for free.

Edited by acegolfer25

Can anyone confirm this?

Using my laptop via wifi, I can visit certain Princess sites for free.

Basically you can visit Princess.com for free.

You can also send free Princess e-cards.

Here are some screens that should help. (They may look a little bit different on your cruise.)

Upper right is link to the free stuff

89021605421614InternetCafe-E-cardscreen1DSC06120_zps06f5e109.jpg

Left side shows links to the free sites

89021605521614InternetCafe-E-cardscreen2DSC06121_zps847c76b8.jpg

E-card options (be sure to have the addresses you want to send them to)

89021605621614InternetCafe-E-cardscreen3DSC06122_zps94c2357a.jpg

Edited by caribill

Not much on the intranet, normally, although I understand that there are added features coming our way soon on the intranet.

If you utilize the free eCards, you will need your email contacts addresses because you cannot access it through the free site.

To connect to wifi onboard you pay. Period.

You are implying I can't buy internet minutes from laptop because I can't connect to wifi first.

So to summarize, the only way to use internet is

first, I have to go to the desk and buy the internet minutes (the above states I can't do this from laptop)

then I can connect my laptop to wifi.

Is this correct?

Edited by acegolfer25

Here's the real question that I wanted to ask. Please reply if you are familiar with system network.

Q: Will the DHCP server assign an IP address to my device before or after buying the internet minutes?

(not for the new ships)

Here's the real question that I wanted to ask. Please reply if you are familiar with system network.

Q: Will the DHCP server assign an IP address to my device before or after buying the internet minutes?

(not for the new ships)

Ahhhhhhh.......... While I don't have the answer for you I can understand your specific question. While many won't actually understand the question, as stated I would imagine that enough folks here here will understand what an IP address and a DHCP server are that someone will be able to give you the answer.

Actually you are NOT charged to connect to wifi. You find the Princess wifi network on your device and connect. No password needed, your device will likely remain connected to wifi for the cruise as long as it is on or around the ship. Thus I would say that you have a DHCP address at that point.

Once connected to wifi you can click certain Princess links (or enter the address yourself) on the home page, primarily Princess.com and you can surf as much as you want without having to purchase an Internet package.

If you try to go to another web site you will be rerouted to a Princess page listing the prices of several packages that you can purchase as well as the pay by the minute rate. You can select one and will then create an ID and password. if you get free Internet from Princess due to being Platinum or above, it still works the same, you pick one of the free packages from the list. Once you or choose a package (if you purchase or choose a package), you will have to log in each time that you want to go to other than the free Princess sites. All packages are time based, not bandwidth.

Yes it is true that if you purchase a package and then while logged in you go to Princess.com you will be consuming time from your package. But you could have gone to Princess.com whether you purchased a package or not by just going there while NOT logged in.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

You are implying I can't buy internet minutes from laptop because I can't connect to wifi first.

So to summarize, the only way to use internet is

first, I have to go to the desk and buy the internet minutes (the above states I can't do this from laptop) then I can connect my laptop to wifi.

Is this correct?

You can buy an Internet package from your laptop. No need to go to the Internet Cafe to do this.

And you can access the free sites (mainly Princess.com) without buying any packages or minutes.

WIFI is free on all cruise ships.

At Princess you can use WIFI to stay connected to their server all day long without paying a penny.

But as soon as you want that server to connect you to the internet, you have to agree to pay - and then you are connected.

The only exceptions are the websites - like Princess.com - that Princess is willing to allow you to access without charge.

Princes employees can use the free WIFI to connect to the company's intranet - if they have the access codes.

Yes.

Thanks to everyone for clearing up this confusing question.

To sum, one can connect to the "intranet" (not internet) via wifi without paying.

That's all I need. BTW, I'm not trying to hack or do anything illegal. My objective is not about accessing internet.

Edited by acegolfer25

There are other discussions on here about apps that might let two passengers communicate between their devices while onboard. Also, the iMessage function on Apple is known to continue allowing incoming and outgoing messages (not just between devices that are on the ship) after disconnecting from paid internet.

Terry

There are several free Princess sites. But I believe you must access them without signing into the WiFi.

On the cruise we where just ,you have to set up an account to access your sail pass account. This was free . It also had access to a number of free websites as well.

I am aware of ripple. Last time I checked they didn't have android version.

I tried several point-to-point messaging apps on carribbean.

1) Connecting to wifi IS free

Anyway, for point-to-point messaging to work -- you have to

be able to obtain an ip address from a dhcp server, and the router

tables have to be configured to loop back messages to stations

on the same sub-network.

In my experience, there were no router tables set up for this.

I could NOT send a message to a particular station on my subnetwork,

but I could send a broadcast message to all stations on my subnetwork,

and the second station would receive it.

However, starting in November on Regal, and over time on other ships,

princess is going to offer an on board messaging service, with browser,

android and ios clients.

I tend to think they will simply have a server re-routing user's messages,

otherwise, even with router tables, it's hard for local message

to cross sub-domains.

As to what sites are free:

Princess.com

and a couple hosted by mtn

Crew wi-fi has others, access to BBT crewcard online site.

Princess Portholes,

and a few more.

If it is important, I can probably find some screenshots of both

pax and crew login pages which list the sites.

I tried several point-to-point messaging apps on carribbean.

In my experience, there were no router tables set up for this.

I could NOT send a message to a particular station on my subnetwork,

but I could send a broadcast message to all stations on my subnetwork,

and the second station would receive it.

Thanks for this valuable information.

Can you explain how to send a broadcast message to all stations (I suppose this is for the same subnet).

After researching, I found that devices can't locate (ping) another device even in the same ship subnet. So using any p2p on ship network is probably not going to work.

An alternative is firechat or serval mesh. Both theoretically should not rely on access points. However, both have limitations and I'm looking for a method to overcome these.

Edited by acegolfer25