Elegant Night Dress Code for men

Some of us do not believe that getting dressed up is having fun... Since Royal does not enforce the 'suggested' dress codes, we are probably in the majority.

Everyone is correct who says there are no truly formal dress codes which are enforced, and he will be ok in dress shirt and slacks. But no, you are not in the majority. Look around on formal nights, the majority still clearly adhere to the suggested dress code. The vocal CC minority still tries to convince everyone otherwise though...

Unless things have change very dramatically in the last 6 months, formal night on RCCL ships we see about 75% of the passengers in very dressy clothes. Most, not all, but most men are wearing a jacket to dinner. Most, not all, but most women are wearing glittery clothes, short fancy dresses, and I'd say about 25% wear long dresses.

I'm not telling anyone to wear or not wear any certain type of clothing. I just want to get the information into perspective: formal night on RCCl is mosly "dressed up" people.

Agreed. Again, no one should imply its required, but it is most definitely still the norm...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Everyone is correct who says there are no truly formal dress codes which are enforced, and he will be ok in dress shirt and slacks. But no, you are not in the majority. Look around on formal nights, the majority still clearly adhere to the suggested dress code. The vocal CC minority still tries to convince everyone otherwise though...

Agreed. Again, no one should imply its required, but it is most definitely still the norm...

Guess we've been fortunate in always having had tablemates who respected the suggested manner of dress and have always worn at least dark suits if not tuxes on formal night. While I don't go around looking at everyone in the dining room, I must say that I've never seen anyone on formal night in jeans, shorts, whatever.

I'll be wearing slacks and a button down as will my sons and my wife will probably we wearing a dress or slacks and a blouse, and if someone wants to judge us because we're not dressed like its prom, so be it. It won't ruin my vacation if someone is wearing a tshirt and shorts.

I wore what bwfoster15 has said he will be wearing.

You will not be in the minority!

I did however see a mother and her 2 sons standing off to the side because the boys had on shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes .

Thinking but not positive they were DENIED entrance to MDR on formal night.

It is a life lesson to adhere to some guidelines. I also understand that financial situation come into play, with that being said if they can afford a cruise or treated to one they could certainly go to a thrift store and find something . JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not understand why people get so excited about formal nights. If you wish to wear a tux or a dark suit, then you should do so. If you encounter someone who doesn't wish to dress to that standard, let it be.

It's not a matter of respect or disrespect. It's not a matter of whether one can afford fancy clothes. Some people simply do not wish to dress up. As long as they meet the minimum standard for the MDR, they should be allowed in.

As long as they meet the minimum standard for the MDR, they should be allowed in.

Nope! There is a difference between the requirements of "Formal Night" and every other night.

Unfortunately, our society has sunken to a lowest common denominator mentality, as you suggest. You seem to imply that there is no difference between "Formal Nights" and every other night, but that is simply not the case!

Going on the Oasis in November. First time on Royal. Can someone clarify the dress code or give me a link where I can read about it? My husband is not a suit person. Will slacks and a dressy button up shirt be allowed or is it suit and tie mandatory?

The majority of people will dress according to the dress code, and some will not. Just like any place you go, there will always be those that don't want to take the extra minute to put on a tie. He will not be alone, just in the minority. If he does not like to take the extra few minutes to look good, than why not try one of the alternative eating areas on the ship?

Not singleing you out for any reason, your post just presented an observation.

It also says, "Tonight is formal night........." It does not say tonight is a suggested formal night. The suggestions are for what to wear that is acceptable.;):)

LOL, I guess you could look at it that way,:D

Going on the Oasis in November. First time on Royal. Can someone clarify the dress code or give me a link where I can read about it? My husband is not a suit person. Will slacks and a dressy button up shirt be allowed or is it suit and tie mandatory?

Sure.

Nope! There is a difference between the requirements of "Formal Night" and every other night.

Unfortunately, our society has sunken to a lowest common denominator mentality, as you suggest. You seem to imply that there is no difference between "Formal Nights" and every other night, but that is simply not the case!

'Suggestions' are not 'requirements'.

As many posters here have stated, tuxedos, suits, jacket and ties, or even just a tie are not 'required' for admittance to the MDR on formal nights. In effect, just the normal MDR attire is all that is 'required'. Therefore, my 'implication' that there is no difference between "Formal Nights" and every other night is, simply, the case!

This isn't the "lowest common denominator". It is the preference of the majority of cruisers who just do not see the value of formal nights.

[quote=RocketMan275;44493911

This isn't the "lowest common denominator". It is the preference of the majority of cruisers who just do not see the value of formal nights.

The value of formal nights is mostly the value to the photographers on board & ultimately to the bottom line of the cruise line.

Just don't want the food quality to erode further by the elimination of formal nights. Otherwise formal night is useless.

Edited by mechcc

It is a matter of disrespect. Ever heard of thrift stores?

I do not understand why people get so excited about formal nights. If you wish to wear a tux or a dark suit, then you should do so. If you encounter someone who doesn't wish to dress to that standard, let it be.

It's not a matter of respect or disrespect. It's not a matter of whether one can afford fancy clothes. Some people simply do not wish to dress up. As long as they meet the minimum standard for the MDR, they should be allowed in.

It is a matter of disrespect. Ever heard of thrift stores?

Service and quality levels have degraded to the point that if the cruise line doesn't want to put in the effort we don't always feel compelled to either unless we want a keepsake photo dressed to the 9's.

There's no white glove service anymore. There's no baked alaska any more (though I understand they can't be walking around with flaming deserts). The dining rooms have gotten very large and chaotic. I don't recall the last time a Captain has toasted the dining room on a formal night. Midnight / Gala buffets are gone. The food quality has seriously eroded. Intermezzo has not been served in years. It's really just for the photo sales now I believe. If the cruise line wants to "respect" formal night traditions and do things how they used to be done, I bet more people would be inclined to participate.

If the cruise line wants to "respect" formal night traditions and do things how they used to be done, I bet more people would be inclined to participate.

I think you're giving people too much credit but that's just my humble opinion. :D

Again, it's a complete lie that it's the majority. It's the CC vocal minority, period. The majority still respect and comply with the suggested formal night dress minimums. I know you and the rest of that vocal minority wish that wasn't true - but it is.

Again, it's a complete lie that it's the majority. It's the CC vocal minority, period. The majority still respect and comply with the suggested formal night dress minimums. I know you and the rest of that vocal minority wish that wasn't true - but it is.

Compliance doesn't mean that is what they want. What do they write on their comment cards? Are they only dressing to comply while they'd rather simply be comfortable?

Whenever I log in here this is always the hotly contested debate of the week. You can dress formal every night. You can dress smart casual every night. It's really just a theme night so play it however you are most comfortable and enjoy. I don't see any reason for people to get so wound up about this.

Whenever I log in here this is always the hotly contested debate of the week. You can dress formal every night. You can dress smart casual every night. It's really just a theme night so play it however you are most comfortable and enjoy. I don't see any reason for people to get so wound up about this.

It really is ridiculous. Who cares what other people are wearing.

Agreed. Most men are wearing jackets and ties on formal night. As a matter of fact, I observe a huge majority of guests complying with the dress code. The few that don't is a tiny fraction of those that do.