Suggestion for a new "exotic" cruise

MSBerliner

We have grown tired of the long flights to other parts of the world and would much prefer to sail there. Almost any long cruise that starts and ends in the US will make us sit up and take note.

A few years ago, Princess offered four straight TAs between London and NYC. We took the middle two which made a wonderful 36 day cruise. We had a fairly short flight from home to NY and back.

Last year we were on the Grand Princess around South America. Another wonderful cruise. Next year we go to the South Pacific r/t LA

As a non-Californian if I were looking at three cruises, same itinerary, but one left from San Francisco, one from Los Angeles and the third from San Diego I'd probably be least likely to book the one from Los Angeles. I'd want to go in a day or two early and San Francisco and San Diego are much more appealing and less hassle. I'd personally love to see some 10-11 day pacific coastal cruises and 21 day Hawaii cruises (with overnights in several ports).

If we are asking Princess for a dream cruise can we please ask for a dream price? They should give us a price break just for coming up with this great plan. No one else, just us. They might need a test run or something. We could spread the word on CC and everything.

Come on Princess....cause a big stir in the cruise world. We love cruising and this would be great. Think of the ads...parkas and flip flops, glaciers and volcanos. Pine trees and palm trees.

To make it interesting we could do musical cabins. You only get the balcony for one portion and then switch. It would cut the cost and on a sea day when you hear Hawaiian music you grab your stuff and move. Pack light.

I will meet you by the pool for a hot chocolate with an umbrella or a fruity drink with a candy cane.

If you only knew how good Crystal is!

With prices at a 50% discount being nearly $400/person/day for the cheapest cabin for a great "luxury" cruise line it's not affordable for most Princess cruisers. I know a Crystal district sales manager & got a tour and lunch on their ship. I know "how good Crystal is" but it's too expensive for many of us.

For those who can afford to sail in Princess suites then a Crystal Cruise in a non-suite cabin can be an affordable option...it's just not affordable for me. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

If we aren't going for anything based in reality, I'd love to do something like this:

Depart Fort Lauderdale

Sea Day

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Sea Day

Curacao

Aruba (or Bonaire, either one would work)

Cartagena

Panama Canal full transit

2-3 sea days

Acapulco

Puerto Vallarta

Sea Day

San Diego

Los Angeles (they'd probably need to do a turnaround day here)

Sea Day

San Francisco

Sea Day

Victoria

Vancouver

23 days, covers the interesting ports from Eastern Caribbean, Southern Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera and California coastal itineraries all in one, PVSA compliant, and ends close to home for me (maybe they could even throw on a Vancouver to Seattle 1-day at the end.) This one seems unlikely to ever happen and sounds expensive, but one of these days I would love to do one of the Panama Canal full transits from Fort Lauderdale to LA with the LA to Vancouver coastal repo added to the end.

How about a 40 night (41 day) West Coast, Alaska and Hawaii adventure with overnights in San Fransisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Honolulu and Maui?

Day 1 Los Angeles

day 2 Santa Barbara

Day 3 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 4 Monterrey

Day 5 San Fransisco

Day 6 San Fransisco

Day 7 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 8 Astoria

Day 9 Seattle

Day 10 Seattle

Day 11 Victoria

Day 12 Cruising inside passage

Day 13 Cruising inside passage

Day 14 Juneau

Day 15 Skagway

Day 16 Cruising Glacier Bay

Day 18 Sitka

Day 19 Cruising Tracey Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier

Day 20 Ketchikan

Day 21 Cruising inside passage

Day 22 Vancouver

Day 23 Vancouver

Day 24 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 25 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 26 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 27 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 28 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 29 Hilo

Day 30 Honolulu

Day 31 Honolulu

Day 32 Kauai

Day 33 Maui

Day 34 Maui

Day 35 Kona (with late night cruising Kiluea volcano)

Day 36 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 37 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 38 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 39 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 40 Cruising Pacific Ocean

Day 41 Los Angeles

Scott,

I like this idea! My DW wants to cruise to Alaska however i'm not so interested in cruising with a jacket and pants on:D This cruise would suit both are interests. She could see ice, animals, and green forest and I could enjoy the warmth, beaches, flip flops and swimtrunks in Hawaii! :D

I'm not even retired yet but i'm on board!

AZmike480

If we are asking Princess for a dream cruise can we please ask for a dream price? They should give us a price break just for coming up with this great plan. No one else, just us. They might need a test run or something. We could spread the word on CC and everything.

Come on Princess....cause a big stir in the cruise world. We love cruising and this would be great. Think of the ads...parkas and flip flops, glaciers and volcanos. Pine trees and palm trees.

To make it interesting we could do musical cabins. You only get the balcony for one portion and then switch. It would cut the cost and on a sea day when you hear Hawaiian music you grab your stuff and move. Pack light.

I will meet you by the pool for a hot chocolate with an umbrella or a fruity drink with a candy cane.

Your sense of whimsy is refreshing! Sounds like you would be a fun time; maybe you can be the CD on this newly created voyage? HAHA :D

Mom and Dad did "Fire and Ice" 60+ days, years ago on Hal, started in Vancouver and ended in Los Angeles.

"My" retirement cruise was going to be the 64 day R/T Los Angeles/ Hawaii/F.P. and AUSTRALIA that Princess had 6/7/8 years ago? (When we lived in L.A.) I really wish they would bring that one back, I want to go to Australia, but don't want to fly to or from. So now the World Cruise is on my bucket list.

Tammy

Now that's the one we wish they would bring back. We did it in 2009 on Star Princess, and I have to say it was our very favorite cruise. It was 30 days over to Sydney and 30 days back, RT from LA, and we still didn't want to get off when we returned! We keep hoping they'll bring it back. Only problem was it stopped at the same places on both legs. Would love some added South Pacific ports, but we'd do it again even without the additions!! Actually, seeing New Zealand, as we did on this cruise, rather than Alaska would be our choice. The fjords are gorgeous!

Alaska ports dictate a summer voyage. Doubt that Princess would remove ships from their very successful Alaska market to go elsewhere. Would rather have a winter voyage to warm weather areas. Maybe down to Central America, across to Hawaii and return, or down to Chile and back.

The business drawback is that longer voyages equate to a reduced market demographic and to reduced onboard spending per passenger per day. Probably the reason Princess has many b2b's to get both markets.

Dear Princess,

As you have read (I hope), the one route that does not now exist is that between Alaska and Hawaii! That is the theme of this discussion thread. This new cruise must begin somewhere, the easily reached and heavily populated west coast of the United States is the correct location. The newish cruise centers in Los Angeles (or San Diego) are, for us preferred ports.

To make the cruise interesting a few day visits to ports of significance must be included. San Francisco, CA then on to Victoria British Columbia (CANADA, a "foreign" country both of much interest and in accordance with the "law"). On to Skagway, Alaska (yes, the capitol city of Juneau may be included). On to the great landmass of Alaska with ports of Seward and Whittier. Anchorage, Alaska's largest city could be included. Don't forget the opportunities to ride the Alaska Railroad to Denali National Park (Mount McKinley). From Alaska the cruise would sail on to Hawaii over the North Pacific Ocean. Who knows what could be explored on the way, with so many (probably five) sea days. In Hawaii the number of ports visited would depend upon how long the cruise would prove to be overall.

Finally, return to Los Angeles (or San Diego) over four or five days. We have deliberately restricted the number of ports visited to create an interesting itinerary with a reasonable length of time. Remember, this cruise is an "exotic" appealing to the cruise lines' major customers, not for everyone, sorry. What do you say Princess?

Your sense of whimsy is refreshing! Sounds like you would be a fun time; maybe you can be the CD on this newly created voyage? HAHA :D

Thank you,

Let's get this cruise floating first. I used to conduct assemblies in middle schools and I love being in front of a crowd so that is about the same thing. I ended my career in education managing a clothing bank and food bank in an inner city high school. Different crowd but still very fun.

I will see you on board our dream cruise.