Pre Cruise Hotels Newark, New Jersey

djo53

Thanks for all the info Carol you have helped me greatly!!!:D:D

I think I have narrowed it down to we will be flying into EWR and staying at the Doubletree in Jersey City; we will only be here for one night so will need maybe lunch and dinner ideas and if there would happen to be a liquor store nearby?

Others will have to offer food and liquor suggestions. My food experience is limited to the Courtyard - we did a rehearsal dinner and a wedding in NYC for our dining experiences. Just google "restaurants Newport Jersey City" to find possibilities.

If you are going to take the SOL ferry, you won't need the Staten Island one. Some people use it as a free way to pass by the SOL, but it's not a tourist attraction - it's public transportation.

I did not realize there was a SOL ferry. I only mentioned the ferry because I thought it would be neat to do the ferry ride. I'm totally naive when it comes to NY....lots to learn and that's why I'm turning to cruise critic and tripadvisor.

Call them and ask. Be sure to check out Holiday Inn Express on Tripadvîsor. I know it exists, but noone has really posted their experiences on this forum.

If you stay on Staten Island, coming from the south you want to take Exit 10 from the NJ Turnpike and go across the Outerbridge Crossing Bridge. This will save you some toll money to offset against the cost of the bridge.

Thanks again Carol for your help. One last question and I should be all set...I feel like I should send you a gift or something :).

I have narrowed it down to the Ramada Plaza Newark or the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island with price being somewhat of a consideration but making my In-laws happy MUCH more important!

Based on the photos and reviews on trip advisor it appears that the Hilton is much nicer than the Ramada but I think I remember reading that the Ramada has recently been renovated, is that correct? If so, then the overall rating on TA would be skewed with negative reviews pre-update when the property was long in the tough. So would the Hilton today be nicer than the Ramada enough to justify the cost difference (about $50 per room...booking 3 rooms)?

Thanks so much again for your input Carol...and anyone else willing to help a weary travel planner :D

I also can't tell you if its worth $50 more. You're from North Carolina which is a less urban area of the country. Your inlaws might not be prepared for the Newark area, which I often describe as being a "highly urban industrialized area". By contrast the Hilton Garden is located in a corporate park surrounded by woods. It's hard to believe you are in NYC.

We'll be flying into EWR airport in October to join our "Summit" cruise and my head is reeling because I'm trying to find an overnight hotel . I have been reading a lot of posts and I'm still not sure what to book, especially when there seem to be dozens of "Courtyards", "Residences" , "Hiltons" in the area etc. which don't really seem to differ at first sight - so which ones are the mouldy apples to leave and which one will fit best?

So here are my questions - thank you for your patience in answering them - I'm sure they will have been asked again and again....

1. The area around Jersey Gardens Mall seems to be best for an overnight stay - we'll just have an afternoon and evening to spend in the area and don't want to do much after the long flight.

2. Which of the hotels might be the best choice: Courtyard Newark Elizabeth or is it Courtyard Newark Airport??? , Residence Inn Elizabeth, Courtyard Inn & Suites, Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites is the most expensive, Country Inn & Suites the least expensive.

3. Which one of the hotels has got a real restaurant?

4. Would you recommend another hotel as an alternative - we are just looking for something to do in the afternoon like a walk or some light shopping and easy access to the hotel from the airport and an easy cab ride to the port. Breakfast and dinner opportunities would be appreciated, cleanliness of room etc. is a must.

Thank you very much for your answers!

I also can't tell you if its worth $50 more. You're from North Carolina which is a less urban area of the country. Your inlaws might not be prepared for the Newark area, which I often describe as being a "highly urban industrialized area". By contrast the Hilton Garden is located in a corporate park surrounded by woods. It's hard to believe you are in NYC.

Which hotels in Jersey City have the best view of the harbor? I would imagine their rates are higher because of the view.

We'll be flying into EWR airport in October to join our "Summit" cruise and my head is reeling because I'm trying to find an overnight hotel . I have been reading a lot of posts and I'm still not sure what to book, especially when there seem to be dozens of "Courtyards", "Residences" , "Hiltons" in the area etc. which don't really seem to differ at first sight - so which ones are the mouldy apples to leave and which one will fit best?

So here are my questions - thank you for your patience in answering them - I'm sure they will have been asked again and again....

1. The area around Jersey Gardens Mall seems to be best for an overnight stay - we'll just have an afternoon and evening to spend in the area and don't want to do much after the long flight.

2. Which of the hotels might be the best choice: Courtyard Newark Elizabeth or is it Courtyard Newark Airport??? , Residence Inn Elizabeth, Courtyard Inn & Suites, Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites is the most expensive, Country Inn & Suites the least expensive.

3. Which one of the hotels has got a real restaurant?

4. Would you recommend another hotel as an alternative - we are just looking for something to do in the afternoon like a walk or some light shopping and easy access to the hotel from the airport and an easy cab ride to the port. Breakfast and dinner opportunities would be appreciated, cleanliness of room etc. is a must.

Thank you very much for your answers!

The hotels on Glimcher Realty Way near Jersey Gardens Mall are just fine - we recommend them all the time. Only the Courtyard Elizabeth has a restaurant, but the other hotels are close by as is IHOP and Ruby Tuesdays. Courtyard Newark is located elsewhere on the north side of the airport.

There is an Appleby's and a food court in the mall. Google Jersey Gardens Mall for more details.

Which hotels in Jersey City have the best view of the harbor? I would imagine their rates are higher because of the view.

I can't speak to the views. I would think that the Westin and the Hyatt might have better views because they are taller. We were on the 8th floor of the Courtyard and overlooked a parking garage, but we did have a view of the top of the Freedom Tower which was very nice lit up at night.

Thank You Carol for all the help you have given to us.

We are flying into Newark on Saturday March 28th we get in at 5:30 pm and just want a clean safe room for the night with breakfast in the morning. We will just order pizza for dinner that night. want to spend under 200 for the night.

We are a family of 4 with a 10 and 13 YO so want to make life as easy as possible.

I am looking at:

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West. Mainly because it has queen beds instead of doubles. People say the location is not ideal. Okay.

Springhill Suites by Marriott Liberty also has good reviews its more expensive but not that much more. It looks really nice and new. My Fave I think.

Ramada is the cheapest so I wonder why.

Courtyard Newark Elizabeth looks good too but if I go with queens it costs as much as Springhills doubles.

I am leaning towards Springhill but would love to know your opinion. Any advice on getting the shuttle. Sounds like from what I have read we get our luggage take a "train" to get to the outside and find the shuttle area.

We are just going to call a cab to take us to the port in the morning am I right in understanding that will be about $50 from these hotels?

Thank You Carol for all the help you have given to us.

We are flying into Newark on Saturday March 28th we get in at 5:30 pm and just want a clean safe room for the night with breakfast in the morning. We will just order pizza for dinner that night. want to spend under 200 for the night.

We are a family of 4 with a 10 and 13 YO so want to make life as easy as possible.

I am looking at:

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West. Mainly because it has queen beds instead of doubles. People say the location is not ideal. Okay.

Springhill Suites by Marriott Liberty also has good reviews its more expensive but not that much more. It looks really nice and new. My Fave I think.

Ramada is the cheapest so I wonder why.

Courtyard Newark Elizabeth looks good too but if I go with queens it costs as much as Springhills doubles.

I am leaning towards Springhill but would love to know your opinion. Any advice on getting the shuttle. Sounds like from what I have read we get our luggage take a "train" to get to the outside and find the shuttle area.

We are just going to call a cab to take us to the port in the morning am I right in understanding that will be about $50 from these hotels?

What hotel prices are you seeing? With or without tax? Are you willing to prepay the hotel?

To get transportation for $50 for four people, you should contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Do you really want to stay at a property where it's not comfortable to step outside?

I'm seeing the Courtyard Elizabeth on aa.com with queens prepaid for $148 tax included. That's under budget, so you can afford some breakfast at IHOP. If the kids are antsy, you can run them through Jersey Gardens Mall.

To get to the hotel shuttles you do have to take Airtrain from the upper terminal area to get to the shuttle pickup at the P 4 station.

Edited by 138east

I am getting the price off Hotels.com Not sure if they have taxes or not included most likely not.

So the airport hotels are in a rough area and we would be better off taking a cab from the airport to a hotel else were.

Newark Airport is in a highly industrialized area. The hotels tend to be in isolated areas which is actually good because they are relatively inaccessible to random foot and vehicle traffic. It's bad because there are virtually no services like restaurants and sundry shopping. The exception are the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way. The hotel I was referring to when I said you might not feel comfortable stepping outside was the Best Western. The cheap hotels at the airport tend to be exactly that - cheap hotels. We advise folks to be selective when choosing a hotel,

IHOP is within walking so distance of the Courtyard Elizabeth. When we stayed at Country Inns, my family had no interest in the free breakfast and we walked next door to IHOP. Ci's breakfast would have been fine for me, but it was very crowded and my crew opted out.

Edited by 138east

I'm a little late posting this, but I thought it might be helpful. My husband and I took the Quantum inaugural (Nov. 23-Dec. 1, 2014) and stayed at the Ramada Plaza. We had booked their cruise & stay special for about $190 through Trinity Reservation. We drove up from Washington, DC, left our car at the hotel, and had the round-trip shuttle to the port. It was convenient, and we got everything we needed.

The hotel is a bit hard to find from the turnpike, so be sure you have directions. We parked the car right in front of the hotel entrance. The parking area is very secure. The hotel is modern, and our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was excellent. As soon as you arrive, be sure you tell the front desk that you're getting the shuttle and when, and it doesn't hurt to remind them the next morning. Save any receipts they give you, for when you leave. We didn't have to wait long either going to or coming from the port.

We had arrived late at the hotel, so we ordered a take-out pizza from the hotel restaurant that we ate in our room. It was about $12 and though not big, it was enough for what we wanted. We were only there for the night.

The hotel offered shuttles into New York too. You can call them for more info. I would use this package again if sailing out of Bayonne.

Edited by Florida Fan
Added Trinity cite.

Several of the hotels in JC have some rooms with views of the Hudson and the Manhattan skyline, but the one in which virtually all rooms have such views would be the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d246778-Reviews-Hyatt_Regency_Jersey_City-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

It's built on the foundations of an old pier jutting into the Hudson River. These brief videos show the exterior of the hotel and will give you a good idea of the setting and the views:

This video has views of the Hyatt Regency from the river. Skip ahead to about 2:45 in the video, and then again to 3:40 onward:

Several of the hotels in JC have some rooms with views of the Hudson and the Manhattan skyline, but the one in which virtually all rooms have such views would be the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d246778-Reviews-Hyatt_Regency_Jersey_City-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

It's built on the foundations of an old pier jutting into the Hudson River. These brief videos show the exterior of the hotel and will give you a good idea of the setting and the views:

This video has views of the Hyatt Regency from the river. Skip ahead to about 2:45 in the video, and then again to 3:40 onward:

Thank you. That's great information.

The hotels on Glimcher Realty Way near Jersey Gardens Mall are just fine - we recommend them all the time. Only the Courtyard Elizabeth has a restaurant, but the other hotels are close by as is IHOP and Ruby Tuesdays. Courtyard Newark is located elsewhere on the north side of the airport.

There is an Appleby's and a food court in the mall. Google Jersey Gardens Mall for more details.

Thank you so much for your help. So Courtyard Elizabeth sounds best if we don't want to go outside again for a meal even if Country Inn & Suites in the same area is the cheapest - rates are about a third less. Can you recommend it or would it be better to choose one of the higher priced hotels?

I'm having trouble understanding your priorities among cost, ability to go somewhere outside the hotel, and ability to eat dinner in the hotel. Here are some options:

1). Cost - cheapest - aa.com - Ramada Plaza - $87 plus tax - restaurant, Teddy's Sports Bar, Quick Cafe. No place to go nearby. Cancellable

2). Stuff outside the hotel - Country Inns - $122 plus tax - prepay - free Breakfast, walk to Jersey Gardens Mall - no restaurant - Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP next door

3) Dinner in Hotel - Courtyard Elizabeth - $154 plus tax - restaurant in hotel - walk to Jersey Gardens Mall

4) Dinner in hotel - aa.com - Courtyard Newark Airport - $111 plus tax - prepay - restaurant - no place to go nearby

If you're not going anywhere, then it's not necessary to stay near the Mall. It's primarily an outlet mall, so you can't pick up wine or most personal sundries there.

I'm a little late posting this, but I thought it might be helpful. My husband and I took the Quantum inaugural (Nov. 23-Dec. 1, 2014) and stayed at the Ramada Plaza. We had booked their cruise & stay special for about $190 through Trinity Reservation. We drove up from Washington, DC, left our car at the hotel, and had the round-trip shuttle to the port. It was convenient, and we got everything we needed.

The hotel is a bit hard to find from the turnpike, so be sure you have directions. We parked the car right in front of the hotel entrance. The parking area is very secure. The hotel is modern, and our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was excellent. As soon as you arrive, be sure you tell the front desk that you're getting the shuttle and when, and it doesn't hurt to remind them the next morning. Save any receipts they give you, for when you leave. We didn't have to wait long either going to or coming from the port.

We had arrived late at the hotel, so we ordered a take-out pizza from the hotel restaurant that we ate in our room. It was about $12 and though not big, it was enough for what we wanted. We were only there for the night.

The hotel offered shuttles into New York too. You can call them for more info. I would use this package again if sailing out of Bayonne.

This is the exact deal I have used twice, and will most definately use again!!!!! Glad to hear from others!!!! It really is a great package!

Thanks for the youtube links... We are staying at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City for 2 nights before our Feb 2, 2015 Quantum of the Seas cruise...

Sue from Fairfield, CA

I'm having trouble understanding your priorities among cost, ability to go somewhere outside the hotel, and ability to eat dinner in the hotel. Here are some options:

1). Cost - cheapest - aa.com - Ramada Plaza - $87 plus tax - restaurant, Teddy's Sports Bar, Quick Cafe. No place to go nearby. Cancellable

2). Stuff outside the hotel - Country Inns - $122 plus tax - prepay - free Breakfast, walk to Jersey Gardens Mall - no restaurant - Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP next door

3) Dinner in Hotel - Courtyard Elizabeth - $154 plus tax - restaurant in hotel - walk to Jersey Gardens Mall

4) Dinner in hotel - aa.com - Courtyard Newark Airport - $111 plus tax - prepay - restaurant - no place to go nearby

If you're not going anywhere, then it's not necessary to stay near the Mall. It's primarily an outlet mall, so you can't pick up wine or most personal sundries there.

Oops, another stupid mistake I made - picking up some wine and snacks to take onboard was my priority. Comes from being a newbie to the area.

So even if I am a bore: can you recommend another good hotel with a shopping centre near to the airport price range 130-180 $ , perhaps including breakfast ? This is the last question I'll ask - I promise!! And thank you again.

[/color][/b]

Oops, another stupid mistake I made - picking up some wine and snacks to take onboard was my priority. Comes from being a newbie to the area.

So even if I am a bore: can you recommend another good hotel with a shopping centre near to the airport price range 130-180 $ , perhaps including breakfast ? This is the last question I'll ask - I promise!! And thank you again.

Unfortunately, there aren't any hotels in the area that are near a store where you can buy wine and snacks.

There's a shopping center (I believe it's called South Cove Commons) just down the road from the entrance to Cape Liberty on Rt. 440 that has a Stop And Shop supermarket and a wine and liquor store where you can buy what you need. If you're taking a taxi from your hotel to the port, have them stop there first. Of course it will increase your taxi fare if you have them make this extra stop.

[/color][/b]

There are no airport hotels that are near a shopping center. This is a highly urban industrialized area - no real shopping centers, no strip malls, no houses, no real services, and very few stand alone restaurants.

Some folks have taken a cab into Elizabeth to get wine and sundries. Others have booked a car service to Bayonne and paid to make a stop at a shopping center just south of the port. Others have rethought their packing and brought wine with them.