Pre Cruise Hotels Newark, New Jersey

djo53

Great info on this thread :). We are on the Summmit in July. It is just me and my husband, driving from western Ma. the day before the cruise, so looking for a pre-cruise hotel with parking option. I'm not as concerned about the $$ as the hotel itself as my husband is fairly picky, so I'm a little hesitant to book the Ramada after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor. We won't be going into the city to sightsee, and aren't as concerned about dinner options. TIA :)

Summit does a 7 day cruise leaving on Sunday. You should get a hotel in Stamford or Greenwich, drive the last bit on Sunday morning which is the lightest traffic day, and pay the money to park at the pier. This completely avoids Newark Airport and its hassles.

By the time you pay for a park sleep at EWR and pay the round trip port transportation, you can stay at a nicer property and have the convenience of getting in your car and on the road quickly when you disembark.

Edited by 138east

Help! We will be arriving at EWR around noon the day before our Oct 4 cruise. We would like to go to Times Square and the Statue of Liberty that afternoon if feasible. Celebrity has a pre cruise package at the Hilton Penn Station for $140 pp (taxes and transfer to pier included). Is this a good deal? What about transportation from the airport to hotel? Should we prearrange something? How complicated will it be getting into NYC?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Help! We will be arriving at EWR around noon the day before our Oct 4 cruise. We would like to go to Times Square and the Statue of Liberty that afternoon if feasible. Celebrity has a pre cruise package at the Hilton Penn Station for $140 pp (taxes and transfer to pier included). Is this a good deal? What about transportation from the airport to hotel? Should we prearrange something? How complicated will it be getting into NYC?

From what I read, it sounds as though the hotel will pick you up at EWR.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46671-d92485-Reviews-Hilton_Newark_Penn_Station-Newark_New_Jersey.html

The Newark Penn Station Hilton has a complimentary shuttle from EWR to the hotel. Hotel shuttles at EWR pick up their guests at the P4 AirTrain station, not at the airline terminals, so after you collect your luggage you'll have to board the AirTrain and take it to the P4 station. There's no charge for using AirTrain on the airport grounds and the ride to P4 will just take a couple minutes.

The Newark Penn Station Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by an enclosed walkway, and you can get both NJ Transit and PATH trains there. NJ Transit takes you to NY Penn Station, and it's only a relatively short walk to Times Square from there. PATH will take you to the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan, which is within reasonable walking distance of where you get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty.

IMO, with your afternoon arrival in Newark you don't have enough time for both a Times Square and a Statue of Liberty visit, and in fact you may not even have enough time to do a full Statue Of Liberty visit even without trying to go elsewhere .

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 months later...

Booked for a fall cruise leaving from Cape Liberty port. Where does one stay?

From the reviews, nobody seems happy with the choices. We want to spend

a couple of days before we depart on the cruise and will return to the same

port and stay another night before we fly home. Any suggestions?

We're sailing out of Cape Liberty in October and will be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City. I actually got a better rate calling the hotel directly.

The hotel gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor and if you sign up on your roll call, you may find someone else on your cruise who is staying there and possibly share a transfer to port with.

Not sure when you are sailing or which ship. I see you are new to cruise critic. If you post your ship and date of sailing, someone can provide the link to your roll call.

Here is the link to tripadvisor reviews for the Marriott.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d224096-Reviews-Courtyard_Jersey_City_Newport-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

Yes, we need your exact dates, number of people, NY sightseeing plans, and most of all budget for both hotel and transportation. The NY metro area is an expense shock for most folks.

You are really doing a great job helping us who need it. Thank you.

We are flying into Newark and staying at Doubletree Newark Airport. We won't be going out and have car service arranged to pier.

1. I read you said to take an Air Train to the hotel shuttles. What the heck is that and can we schlep our luggage easily? Is it worth doing that to save the money? Are there luggage cart machine rentals that we could use? We will have two large bags and two carry-ons. Is Baggage Claim before you board this train or after? (Just went to airport site and now I sort of know what it is...)

2. If not, best idea on a way to get to Doubletree? Maybe taxi and do you have idea appx cost? Shuttle for pay?

Again, thanks so much for all your advice.

Edited by Seacreature101

The air tran is free and that is the only way to get from the luggage pick up area to the free hotel shuttles. You could rent a luggage cart. There are elevators but you will have to pull your luggage all over the place and it is a pain. The tram is like the monorail at Disney you don't have to step up to get on it. Just walk straight on it. Cabs are expensive so best to take the hotels free shuttle if you can

Edited by bluehorizonlover123

A cab to the Doubletree is probably in the $20 range. You don't have to decide now what to do. When you get to baggage claim you can pop outside to the cab stand to ask the price and you can see how far it is to the elevator up to the airtrain and check the availability of luggage carts. Then you can decide what suits.

I have a question you may have the answer to - I'm flying United into Newark - staying at Doubletree Jersey City, I have hired Independent Driver to take us the hotel. Do I meet Independent Driver in the same general area as the taxis are located? Will I have to take the Airtrain to meet Independent Driver?

Thanks for all your help.

I have a question you may have the answer to - I'm flying United into Newark - staying at Doubletree Jersey City, I have hired Independent Driver to take us the hotel. Do I meet Independent Driver in the same general area as the taxis are located? Will I have to take the Airtrain to meet Independent Driver?

Thanks for all your help.

Usually meet a car service outside of the baggage area, or inside.

The air tran is free and that is the only way to get from the luggage pick up area to the free hotel shuttles. You could rent a luggage cart. There are elevators but you will have to pull your luggage all over the place and it is a pain. The tram is like the monorail at Disney you don't have to step up to get on it. Just walk straight on it. Cabs are expensive so best to take the hotels free shuttle if you can

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but is it a long distance to the elevators? We have quite a walk at O'Hare to the place where the hotel shuttles pick us up...is it worse than that? We'll be flying to EWR in June.

The tram sounds like the one in Atlanta.

Well we live in Chicago and use OHare and I wouldn't say it is that bad. Basically you get your luggage. We had 2 big suitcases and 2 carry ons. You walk about 200 feet to an elevator. You take the elevator to maybe the 3rd floor, can't remember the floor number exactly, then you are at the place where this monorail departs. It is about a 5 minute walk to the elevator in some parts. You just easily follow all the signs. You are on the monorail for about 5 minutes or so. You pull your bags off the mono rail and you are at the place where the hotel shuttles arrive every half hour or so. It is a lot of pulling the bags but it is doable. We are in our 60s and we could do it.

Edited by bluehorizonlover123

Well we live in Chicago and use OHare and I wouldn't say it is that bad. Basically you get your luggage. We had 2 big suitcases and 2 carry ons. You walk about 200 feet to an elevator. You take the elevator to maybe the 3rd floor, can't remember the floor number exactly, then you are at the place where this monorail departs. It is about a 5 minute walk to the elevator in some parts. You just easily follow all the signs. You are on the monorail for about 5 minutes or so. You pull your bags off the mono rail and you are at the place where the hotel shuttles arrive every half hour or so. It is a lot of pulling the bags but it is doable. We are in our 60s and we could do it.

Thanks. That doesn't sound nearly as bad as O'Hare. We can do it. Hopefully, this trip we'll only have one large suitcase and two carry on bags. We will have two bags in October though.

It does help that we have spinner wheels on our luggage.

We're flying United.

Do the hotel shuttles leave the pick-up point following a schedule or do I have to call the hotel so that the hotel shuttle van can pick us up? We`re planning to stay in one of the Elizabeth/N.J. hotels.

Thank you for your help.

The hotel shuttles circulate over and over again, but if you miss the one right before, you will be standing there for at least 30 minutes, for them to recirculate. At the end of March, when we just sailed out of there, they had a lot of road construction around there, and it was more like 45 minute cycles. Always good to alert your hotel that you are waiting though.

• 1 year later...

Hello 138east:

I am planning my son's honeymoon for this June, and you seem very knowledgeable. They will be going out of Cape Liberty on the Anthem for a 9-night cruise. They depart on June 8th, and I plan to fly them into EWR the day before and need a hotel. You mention the Courtyard in Jersey City or others nearby. What is the best transportation option for to the hotel from airprt and to the port from hotel? Also, the would like to do a post cruise 2-night stay to see some of NYC and wondering where the best option to stay for that might be as well.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

A cab to the Doubletree is probably in the $20 range. You don't have to decide now what to do. When you get to baggage claim you can pop outside to the cab stand to ask the price and you can see how far it is to the elevator up to the airtrain and check the availability of luggage carts. Then you can decide what suits.

Hello 138east:

I am planning my son's honeymoon for this June, and you seem very knowledgeable. They will be going out of Cape Liberty on the Anthem for a 9-night cruise. They depart on June 8th, and I plan to fly them into EWR the day before and need a hotel. You mention the Courtyard in Jersey City or others nearby. What is the best transportation option for to the hotel from airprt and to the port from hotel? Also, the would like to do a post cruise 2-night stay to see some of NYC and wondering where the best option to stay for that might be as well.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Hello 138east:

Thanks so much,

Lisa

I'm not 138east but I can answer some of your questions, since we did this last fall. The Courtyard in Jersey City was a great choice for us. Easy and safe walking around the area. The PATH is right next door and very easy to use for going into the city. We had no problems. You can easily stay there post cruise as well and visit the city and the hotel cost is much less than a NY hotel.

We took a cab from the airport and also to the port. Don't remember the cost but it was reasonable if I remember correctly.