Candian Dollar dropping

huggs

I have been watching our Canadian dollar dropping and we are not yet at final payment. I am curious if fellow Canadians are wondering if the dollar is going to continue to drop and if so, will it affect your plans to continue with your cruise or not. Our is a 19 day cruise, so the exchange rate plays big in our budgeting,

I buy USD when the rates are good

I have enough for our upcoming cruise .... FP in Dec

I need to stock up for future cruises though so I am hoping our dollar does not drop too much more or we just will stay home

:(

While we have a US bank account, I booked our 20 day Princess cruise in Canadian funds many months ago at a 10% exchange. I was happy to lock it in at that rate, knowing that I can always switch it over to US$ if our dollar rebounds.

I recently found a USA Travel Agent that discounted our cruise price and allowed me to keep the booking as is (in Canadian funds). :)

No it will not impact our next cruise.

BUT, it will greatly reduce our US travel and cruise purchases. Other options become more attractive. This winter we will go to Thailand and Malaysia instead of a Caribbean cruise, Florida, or Hawaii trip.

We did a fair amount of cruising when our dollar was high, the world economy poor, and cruise prices inn USD were at all time lows. Currency has a huge impact. We delayed a trip to South Africa for a year. Their currency dropped and it saved us a fair amount of money.

The rate today is 1.12 but I paid $0.15 on the dollar to exchange for US cash yesterday at the bank once fees were figured in. This is the lowest I've experienced the CAD in a very long time. :( OP, if you really want to go on this cruise and can swing it - pay in full now. I don't hear anyone predicting a recovery right away and since we made final payment in September on our upcoming trip we've lost another $0.02.

Edited by ronandannette

The rate today is 1.12 but I paid $0.15 on the dollar to exchange for US cash yesterday at the bank once fees were figured in. This is the lowest I've experienced the CAD in a very long time. :( OP, if you really want to go on this cruise and can swing it - pay in full now. I don't hear anyone predicting a recovery right away and since we made final payment in September on our upcoming trip we've lost another $0.02.

Yes, I am beginning to think this may be a wise idea. If you pay in full before final payment, and you change mind to cancel, do you get the money back ? I can check with our TA

We book 18 mths out so no way I am paying in advance

I have a TD USD account & a USD Visa card (no hidden foreign transaction fees for USD) & just buy when the rate is one I can live with

Just recently got a Chase Mastercard from Sears with no FTF for when we do other Countries

Edited by LHT28

It some what plays a role in what we spend. I dont like it dropping but I figure it will probably settle around the 85 cent marker for a while. I dont and cant picture it going down too much more. If it does probably will have to cut back on some trips down south.

we have been very lucky in that aspect since 2008 for our dollar being higher then our us dollar.

Maybe we need a North American Dollar

We did actually cancel a cruise booked in US$ and booked a land trip in Canadian. Not sure the falling dollar was 100% to blame but it certainly played a part. We were looking at different options for 2016 going back and forth between cruise and land trip and ended up booking only a 7 day cruise, the rest will be land trip before and after. Cruise is in US$, land trip will be in Euros which we seem to be doing ok against.

Edited by Cruise Junky