Forgive me, but what difference does it make???

charlie52

Coming from a PR background I totally understand why the officers "shmooze". It makes people feel important, promotes relationship with people that were never seen years ago. I do enjoy seeing them around the ship and it is nice to have a tip of the hat and a "Good Morning" from a senior officer when you are getting your coffee. I like it and so do most people on board.

Happy Sailing!!!!

Doesn't mean *anything* to me; I sail to enjoy the ship, the ports, and the loved ones I'm with. I don't care about all the pomp and circumstance.

Forgive me if we are just dense or somehow out of the loop that other cruisers are in but my husband and I just do not understand what the big deal is about whether or not the officers attend events. I go on a cruise to enjoy my husband and our friend's company. Why is it so important to so many where the officers are, what events they attend and who they speak too? Of course if I should come across them on board I would expect a nod or a hello, but I would expect that from any passenger. Really, I am not trying to be rude but what are we missing?????

On one b-to-b on the Millenium out of San Juan, we had an amazing staff.

The captain was a young single guy (forget his name). His staff loved him (very important) and he participated in many things including a poker tournament ( in which I was told he had to win!!!)

He was a riot. He strutted around like a peacock.

The HD was Andrew Harris of Marriott. He was fantastic. Just like a Club Med Chef du village. So innovative and so much fun. At the last port, He dressed in a chicken costume and met us as we returned to the ship and gave out glasses of champagne! The officers did the macarenna down the main staircase many evenings at 8pm. And they were TERRIBLE! Itwas so much fun!

Sadly he left. I think he's back at Marriott.

He had his staff going the same way. I have noticed the name Jamie and maybe that's the same one who was his assistant.

Anyway, most of the officers have left and it really is a loss for Celebrity.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

On our previous 2 cruises (Radiance) the good Captain Sindre and many of his senior officers (both ship and house) were highly visible. When the good captain spoke everyone paused to listen.

On the last cruise very few officers were visible (other than where they were required according program) and when the captain spoke many people spoke louder so they could hear themselves over the captain. Maybe its an audience and demographics thing.

..... The whole meeting the Captain thing is part of the tradition isn't it? One of those things that differentiates it from being a ferry crossing from Dover to Ostend..
Thanks for the suggestion! I like that idea.

From now on, whenever we take a ferry ride I am going to try to remember to ask to have my photo taken with the ferry boat captain, providing a novel souvenir unlike the thousands of ho-hum photos that passengers routinely take with cruise ship captains.

I have to say I've been here at CC for years now and don't recall that many posts about people complaining about the presence (or lack thereof....) of officers. Certainly not CONSTANTLY:rolleyes: Yes there are occasional posts regarding the presence of officers, but very few COMPLAINING about it.......:rolleyes:

Maybe you don't read cruise reviews but I do and have read them here for years and more often than not the reviewer posts whether or not officers/Captain/cruise director attends the Celebrity connections receptions or on "Live from" threads its the same thing, just check the current Live from Infinity TA, its there complaining the officers don't acknowledge the poster with enough enthusiasm LOL :eek:

I too have always wondered what people get from rubbing shoulders with the Captain/officers/cruise directors.....its not like they will remember you or frankly could give a fig about you other than being nice for "customer service" purposes....leave them alone, let them do their jobs and that will ensure you have a good cruise. :D

Another example is the "where are the officers/staff currently serving" threads you see here....who cares....get me on the ship, entertain and feed me, serve me some cocktails and get me home safely and you will gain my thanks, other than that who cares. :)

It does not make or break my cruise. We actually have turned down the Captains' table on a few occassions....it was football season and DH wanted to watch the games (we had a CS so we had a big TV). We had so much fun in the cabin, eating our formal dinner, laughing and drinking/sharing a bottle of wine. :D

The meeting of the officers and staff is a nautical tradition....a big deal to some and not others. :)

A nautical tradition? From where did you learn this? I must have missed it.

As I read this thread I am laughing to myself noticing the obvious absence of all the folks who swoon over the officers and cruise directors! :eek: LOL

Edit...as I read onto page 2 of this thread I stand corrected.....the swooners have shown up to be counted, good on ya!

Edited by SheriffJoe

When we cruise, one of the things we look forward to is meeting other people in different walks of life. Over dinner, at the pool, at the Martini Bar we have met teachers, politicians, doctors, housewives you name it. When we have the opportunity to chat with a Captain of a ship holding 4,000 + souls who is actually like a mayor of a small town we find it incredibly interesting. Also fascinating is talking to the Hotel Manager and the Chief Engineer. Over time, and after years of sailing Celebrity's relatively small number of ships, we find we do run into the same Officers and crew we have met on previous sailings and it is a "coming home" feeling when we see them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It makes some people feel important. I think that most officers would rather not attend, and are there because they are told to attend. Never are they ever going to admit that. When I see somebody of importance I leave them alone and not bother them with stupid questions, and I'll bet you there glad I did.

I totally agree with you!! I couldn't care less about meeting officers or other staff. Some people seem to think so much of themselves that they feel that the world revolves around them. We've met and talked to many of them on this cruise. Met many fewer of them on Princess cruises.

Some people need to be stroked, some don't. Not that either is "correct", just what you feel is right.

Agree 100%. Just because I don't care does not mean you can't. It was a big deal with my inlaws, albeit many years ago.

As my father was an officer in the merchant navy I've never felt the need to be impressed by ship's officers, I know they are just human beings like you and me.

I don't think that having them attend an event would make it more or less likely that I would attend. But if people enjoy meeting and talking to the officers, then i wouldn't want to put a stop to it!

Just seen this thread and loving it!

This whole topic has been winding me up for a while.

Looking at member reviews and forum posts over the last few months there seem to be more and more people, especially those who've cruised a few times to think that they are special and expect something superior to the rest of us.

Cruising has become one the most popular forms of holiday and is......wait for it.......

mass market. It is no longer for the very rich and very fortunate, it's a holiday camp on the high seas. It may be a very nice holiday camp with lovely food and great entertainment, but essentially that's exactly what it is!

"Staff" from the Captain down to the guy who cleans out the bilges are there to do a job. Praise exceptional service by all means, but essentially for them it's their job. Why do people need to be on first name terms with their waiter, why do people care about the Elite Club hosts, who cares if the Captain doesn't personally ask you about your holiday experience. Who cares whether you get towel animals every day, once or never....did it ruin your holiday if you didn't? Who needs an Orio on your pillow every night, haven't you had enough to eat! Surely, it is the whole experience that matters and not whether you believe you should be treated like royalty.

It seems that too many people are taking cruises and spending their entire holiday trying to find fault and maintaining that their holiday has been ruined by the smallest defect or problem.

And lastly, for those who go round trying to look for any sign of aging and wear and tear, how well would your home stand up if you had 2,000+ people rampaging through it every week!

Rant over!

Looking at member reviews and forum posts over the last few months there seem to be more and more people, especially those who've cruised a few times to think that they are special and expect something superior to the rest of us.

Cruising has become one the most popular forms of holiday and is......wait for it.......

mass market. It is no longer for the very rich and very fortunate, it's a holiday camp on the high seas. It may be a very nice holiday camp with lovely food and great entertainment, but essentially that's exactly what it is!

"Staff" from the Captain down to the guy who cleans out the bilges are there to do a job. Praise exceptional service by all means, but essentially for them it's their job. Why do people need to be on first name terms with their waiter, why do people care about the Elite Club hosts, who cares if the Captain doesn't personally ask you about your holiday experience. Who cares whether you get towel animals every day, once or never....did it ruin your holiday if you didn't? Who needs an Orio on your pillow every night, haven't you had enough to eat! Surely, it is the whole experience that matters and not whether you believe you should be treated like royalty.

It seems that too many people are taking cruises and spending their entire holiday trying to find fault and maintaining that their holiday has been ruined by the smallest defect or problem.

And lastly, for those who go round trying to look for any sign of aging and wear and tear, how well would your home stand up if you had 2,000+ people rampaging through it every week!

Rant over!

Wow. It's as if you read my mind.

Exactly! I just had small incident last week on my cruise, but when the incidents kept coming night after night affecting my plans for entertainment, I needed to do something. A series of small incidents, became a major incident. I asked 2 change my dining table and presto!

I was there to enjoy, and I did it!

If you ask me, I had a great time, I would recommend this cruise to any body and I would book it again.

Love cruising with Royal!

BTW, I got compensated for the incident.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

I agree that this board can be maddening when some individuals focus on the minutiae and declare that the sky is falling. However, I will say that many of the people I tend to bond with on a cruise are staff members. To be honest, I find the crew more interesting than many of my fellow passengers. To a certain degree, we are creatures of habit on a cruise and we therefore see the same faces over and over again. On our Adriatic cruise, my daughter and I made a game out of seeing how many people from different countries she could meet. She would record the countries in her journal. The crew loved this and would try to teach her a few words in their native language.

Rant over!

Bravo!:D

Bravo!:D

Thank you and also to those who've also offered a complimentary comment. :D

I probably came across as Mr Angry, which I am not.........I, like you, just wish people would stop expecting X or any other cruise line to pamper to their personal wishes and understand that they are no more " special" than any other guest.

We all have our personal likes & dislikes and unless you're fortunate enough to be Russian Oligarch who can afford his own ocean-going super cruiser, you're stuck with the rest of us, so stop moaning about the fact that X changed the smoked salmon supplier (yes, really) or whether there's enough froth on the coffee (yes, really) and start having some fun :D:D

Agreed. I wonder if those tortured souls who get twisted up about not being considered "special" expect the same special attention at a luxury hotel. Oh no! The General Manager didn't know my name!! :eek:

:rolleyes:

The only reason the General Manager would know my name is if I was being a Prima Dona and making a nuisance of myself. :eek:

Having said that, we like Riu hotels...not " flash" but excellent service and great staff where the GM does know your name because he has it on a list when he goes round the tables at dinner. Not difficult, not special, just a very simple system that works and makes everyone feel valued. :D

Rant over!

Fantastic post could not have put it better myself

Thank you and also to those who've also offered a complimentary comment. :D

I probably came across as Mr Angry, which I am not.........I, like you, just wish people would stop expecting X or any other cruise line to pamper to their personal wishes and understand that they are no more " special" than any other guest.

We all have our personal likes & dislikes and unless you're fortunate enough to be Russian Oligarch who can afford his own ocean-going super cruiser, you're stuck with the rest of us, so stop moaning about the fact that X changed the smoked salmon supplier (yes, really) or whether there's enough froth on the coffee (yes, really) and start having some fun :D:D

But Paul I AM SPECIAL

I just wish the Captain and officers would stop trying to meet me all the time.:rolleyes:

Schasleevava pootee

;)

Fantastic post could not have put it better myself

Thanks UKTOG :)

But Paul I AM SPECIAL

I just wish the Captain and officers would stop trying to meet me all the time.:rolleyes:

Schasleevava pootee

;)

But we're all special.........aren't we? :rolleyes: