Forgive me, but what difference does it make???

charlie52

Forgive me if we are just dense or somehow out of the loop that other cruisers are in but my husband and I just do not understand what the big deal is about whether or not the officers attend events. I go on a cruise to enjoy my husband and our friend's company. Why is it so important to so many where the officers are, what events they attend and who they speak too? Of course if I should come across them on board I would expect a nod or a hello, but I would expect that from any passenger. Really, I am not trying to be rude but what are we missing?????

Edited by charlie52

I agree with the OP, a big giant YAWN when I hear that officers will be in attendance to anything.

Not saying keep them away, but that its just not that exciting. and OOH OOOH OOOOH! the 45 minute period to get photos with the captain on formal night... YAWN.

I also say the same thing about the final night in MDR when they do the big thank the crew routine or captain's toast in the theatre (or sometimes grand staircase).

But then again, first time cruisers like these types of things (I did once), but they get stale over time for sure.

Edited by cle-guy

I know this is going to sound snotty in type, but I really don't intend it that way. My question is, if you're on the cruise to enjoy your husband, why even attend the events? :confused: The point of my question is, I think the presence of ships officers at Celebrity sponsored events is a good thing. Otherwise, why even attend them? :confused:

I agree with the OP, a big giant YAWN when I hear that officers will be in attendance to anything.

Not saying keep them away, but that its just not that exciting. and OOH OOOH OOOOH! the 45 minute period to get photos with the captain on formal night... YAWN.

I also say the same thing about the final night in MDR when they do the big thank the crew routine or captain's toast in the theatre (or sometimes grand staircase).

But then again, first time cruisers like these types of things (I did once), but they get stale over time for sure.

Agree on all and I think the crew "thank you" is really not fun for the crew either, but they do it as pleasantly as possible while still trying not to fall behind in their stations....tough to do sometimes....

I know this is going to sound snotty in type, but I really don't intend it that way. My question is, if you're on the cruise to enjoy your husband, why even attend the events? :confused: The point of my question is, I think the presence of ships officers at Celebrity sponsored events is a good thing. Otherwise, why even attend them? :confused:

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question stems from the number of CC posts that I read CONSTANTLY complaining about the presence (or lack there of) of the officers at these events and feeling snubbed. So much to enjoy, why oh why would you take the time to count the number of officers present. :confused:

It makes some people feel important. I think that most officers would rather not attend, and are there because they are told to attend. Never are they ever going to admit that. When I see somebody of importance I leave them alone and not bother them with stupid questions, and I'll bet you there glad I did.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My question stems from the number of CC posts that I read CONSTANTLY complaining about the presence (or lack there of) of the officers at these events and feeling snubbed. So much to enjoy, why oh why would you take the time to count the number of officers present. :confused:

I have to say I've been here at CC for years now and don't recall that many posts about people complaining about the presence (or lack thereof....) of officers. Certainly not CONSTANTLY:rolleyes: Yes there are occasional posts regarding the presence of officers, but very few COMPLAINING about it.......:rolleyes:

Forgive me if we are just dense or somehow out of the loop that other cruisers are in but my husband and I just do not understand what the big deal is about whether or not the officers attend events. I go on a cruise to enjoy my husband and our friend's company. Why is it so important to so many where the officers are, what events they attend and who they speak too? Of course if I should come across them on board I would expect a nod or a hello, but I would expect that from any passenger. Really, I am not trying to be rude but what are we missing?????

Charlie52

I don't think your missing anything, I agree with you completely.

It's the same with Cruise Directors, out of 22 cruises I could not name one CD we've ever had. We don't need someone to tell us how to have a great time, we are quite capable of doing it ourselves. The same with the ships staff, if they say Hello we say Hello.

J

......I also say the same thing about the final night in MDR when they do the big thank the crew routine or captain's toast in the theatre (or sometimes grand staircase).
Other than performers in the entertainment industry, I don't think that most of us get called up on stage at the end of every week and applauded with standing ovations just for doing our jobs. :D

The whole thing seems so silly.

Edited by fleckle

It makes some people feel important. I think that most officers would rather not attend, and are there because they are told to attend. Never are they ever going to admit that. When I see somebody of importance I leave them alone and not bother them with stupid questions, and I'll bet you there glad I did.

Totally agree! :D

100% this

:rolleyes:

I think it is nice if I get a chance to interact with an Officer... But I would never expect it... I figure hey they are busy, they are at work... It is me who is on vacation and not them. So I let them be... Get on with it. But like yourself I would certainly nod, smile or say Good Day if we were in close proximity (ie sharing an elevator) as it would be the civil / polite thing to do.

But ya, some people seem to have a definite need for having their egos stroked, or being able to say "I spoke to the Master Captain about this on my last cruise"

What they probably don't realize is they are not important to the Captain other than TPTB at Celebrity / RCCL have told Sr Staff to engage those who approach them (partcularly Suites & Elites etc) cause it is good for business... The big spenders.

That, and there is a definite bit of Marketing that Captains do have to perform every cruise for everyone aboard, and that is the First Formal Night - Captain's Welcome Toast & Speach... And some Captains even go so far as to show up for Photo Ops as well with Pax

I do admit we have had our photo taken with Captains... As we see it as a nice souvenir of our cruise... Especially so if the photo is done in front of a Photo Drop with a photo of the ship.

But even then we would never think of monopolizing such a busy & important man with any of what could only be described as small PERSONAL problems (and they are all small problems in that there are many other OFFICIAL channels where one can express concerns / problems etc)

We shake his hand, and thank him for taking the time out of his busy schedule for this personal souvenir. That's it. That's all.

The night is young, and Hubby & I have lots of other things to do to make it memorable for the two of us... Lol, visit the Martini Bar, great eats and company at our Dinner Table (both Crew & Tablemates), catch the Captains Toast & Welcome in the Theatre, have a nightcap with friends, and perhaps close out a perfect day & evening in a nice spot outside stargazing.

Point is we have tons to keep us busy... Don't need to focus on Celebrity / RCCL politics on vacation

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Nicely said. It is nice to know they do attend social functions and don't keep themselves in their "Domain" and if you want to meet them, attend the function, if not, no big deal. This is a cruise!

If you were staying at a land-based resort, would you expect the General Manager, F&B Manager, head housekeeper, chief accountant, head janitor... to come and hob-nob with you while you were at the pool?

Think of it this way...every week or two...ALL NEW PEOPLE.

You might think you are so fascinating and memorable, but they get 2,000 different fascinating and memorable people every week! Get over yourself, lol! (note I put "LOL" so I don't get a lot of responses from those who think they ARE fascinating and memorable!

I would have to cruise a lot more than I do, to plan cruises around what officers are on board. While I can't imagine what an ego would have to do with seeing them or not, it does give the impression they care about the customer experience. I have been on cruises, other lines, where no one ever saw officers and from that it did give a lot of passengers a feeling they were too detached from the customer experience.

Also, passengers get to experience the officers sober, behaved, dressed professionally, all of this makes the line look good. I remember a thread, from another line, where a passenger watched an officer invite a young woman to his cabin, thank goodness we are not discussing these types of things.

No one expects any of us to be impressed except from a professional standpoint. If people need a little starry eyed fantasy, it is okay with me. It does not take anything from my vacation.

A few times people have asked me if I wanted autographs from them, writers and rock stars mostly, I say yes to not be rude.

LOl! I don't understand it, either, unless you are trying to let folks know that somehow, you feel you're more important than anyone because you know who the Captain is, or the Chief Officer, etc.....some folks just really get off on that sort of stuff!

Gee isn't this a nice thread.

Some people like to meet officers so they "need their ego stroking".

Personally it does nothing for me, but if some enjoy it how does that hurt you?

Edited by GUT2407

I would rather NOT see the officers schmoozing around. I want them up on the bridge, or in the engine room, or wherever it is they do what they are supposed to be doing.

Hate to tell you this but one of the things they are "supposed to be doing" is "schmoozing around". PR is a part of their job.

I've had a couple of nice chats with officers with they've sat beside me for a drink or a meal, but the chats would have been just as nice if they were fellow passengers.

Do I crave Officer interaction? Nope.

I would think less of them if they didn't say 'hi' or nod or smile when walking past me - mind you, I extend the same courtesy to an officer, a room steward, or a stranger this morning who walked into the coffee shop as I walked out.

I will say it was a nice 'feeling' in the air when on my 5/2014 Summit cruise, Officers played poker with pax at night, it was sort of "pax vs officers". They were personable, not snobbish, and it was a nice touch. I won the whole thing and beat the Food and Beverage Officer in the finals and he says in front of everyone "you aren't getting lobster for the rest of the cruise" LMAO. I think when officers "float" it means they care - it means they are personally looking at cleanliness, service, food quality, etc no different than a manger walking around at a restaurant. Also, it prevents officers from having a "fiefdom" where they are insulated from everyone.

Anyhow, FWIW…...

Usually, I have little or nothing to do with the captain.

However, the Captain on the Century to Hawaii two years ago was aggressive in meeting passengers. On the first morning, he was chatting with many of us at the Elite breakfast. That afternoon, he was at the M & M, and again was greeting people and said to me, I already met you.

I saw him almost every evening in Cova Cafe and several times came over and asked "When is Cruise Critic going to tell me when I get off this ship." Later in the cruise, he said that he started vacation after that cruise.

We had a Cruise Critic lunch in the main dining room on the last day and he come around to day hello.

That was a lot of fun, particularly because this was so unusual for captains.