Forgive me, but what difference does it make???

charlie52

Just seen this thread and loving it!

This whole topic has been winding me up for a while.

Looking at member reviews and forum posts over the last few months there seem to be more and more people, especially those who've cruised a few times to think that they are special and expect something superior to the rest of us.

Cruising has become one the most popular forms of holiday and is......wait for it.......

mass market. It is no longer for the very rich and very fortunate, it's a holiday camp on the high seas. It may be a very nice holiday camp with lovely food and great entertainment, but essentially that's exactly what it is!

"Staff" from the Captain down to the guy who cleans out the bilges are there to do a job. Praise exceptional service by all means, but essentially for them it's their job. Why do people need to be on first name terms with their waiter, why do people care about the Elite Club hosts, who cares if the Captain doesn't personally ask you about your holiday experience. Who cares whether you get towel animals every day, once or never....did it ruin your holiday if you didn't? Who needs an Orio on your pillow every night, haven't you had enough to eat! Surely, it is the whole experience that matters and not whether you believe you should be treated like royalty.

It seems that too many people are taking cruises and spending their entire holiday trying to find fault and maintaining that their holiday has been ruined by the smallest defect or problem.

And lastly, for those who go round trying to look for any sign of aging and wear and tear, how well would your home stand up if you had 2,000+ people rampaging through it every week!

Rant over!

Well said!! But I do miss the chocolates!!! Not gonna ruin my cruise though!

Agreed. I wonder if those tortured souls who get twisted up about not being considered "special" expect the same special attention at a luxury hotel. Oh no! The General Manager didn't know my name!! :eek:

:rolleyes:

Just noticed you get on Infinity when I get off in San Diego :D

Sorry I think that might be Rich ?

Edited by LF2C

Looking at member reviews and forum posts over the last few months there seem to be more and more people, especially those who've cruised a few times to think that they are special and expect something superior to the rest of us.

Cruising has become one the most popular forms of holiday and is......wait for it.......

mass market. It is no longer for the very rich and very fortunate, it's a holiday camp on the high seas. It may be a very nice holiday camp with lovely food and great entertainment, but essentially that's exactly what it is!

"Staff" from the Captain down to the guy who cleans out the bilges are there to do a job. Praise exceptional service by all means, but essentially for them it's their job. Why do people need to be on first name terms with their waiter, why do people care about the Elite Club hosts, who cares if the Captain doesn't personally ask you about your holiday experience. Who cares whether you get towel animals every day, once or never....did it ruin your holiday if you didn't? Who needs an Orio on your pillow every night, haven't you had enough to eat! Surely, it is the whole experience that matters and not whether you believe you should be treated like royalty.

It seems that too many people are taking cruises and spending their entire holiday trying to find fault and maintaining that their holiday has been ruined by the smallest defect or problem.

And lastly, for those who go round trying to look for any sign of aging and wear and tear, how well would your home stand up if you had 2,000+ people rampaging through it every week!

Rant over!

Very well put!

It was these sort of comments that made us worry about our first cruise (that and ITVs "documentary" on Princess") along with people who mention "we're elite" when it is totally irrelevant. Thank heavens our fears proved to be unfounded and we loved our cruise. Maybe we came to the party late and you don't miss the things you've never had.

Personally, I rarely attend welcome back functions. I already know any info they have to pass and I'm not interested in celebrating people for being the "top cruisers" on board. And if I am that top cruiser, I have no desire to be publicly recognized for it in front of a room full of people.

But that said, I don't care if others do go and if others enjoy socializing with the officers and cheering those who cruise alot. If that's what they enjoy, so what? And frankly, some of you are bashing this so much, your insecurites appear much worse than the people you're trying to flame.

Rant over!

Not nearly enough "LIKES" in the world to show how much I love this post. :D

Thank you and also to those who've also offered a complimentary comment. :D

I probably came across as Mr Angry, which I am not.........I, like you, just wish people would stop expecting X or any other cruise line to pamper to their personal wishes and understand that they are no more " special" than any other guest.

We all have our personal likes & dislikes and unless you're fortunate enough to be Russian Oligarch who can afford his own ocean-going super cruiser, you're stuck with the rest of us, so stop moaning about the fact that X changed the smoked salmon supplier (yes, really) or whether there's enough froth on the coffee (yes, really) and start having some fun :D:D

You didn't come across as a Mr. Angry, you said just what a lot of us feel. I have always gotten exceptional service on Celebrity ships, as well as other cruise lines, and I think it has a lot to do with attitude (a friendly smile and hello goes a long way) and it doesn't matter if you have sailed with Celebrity 1 or 500 times, the crew tries their best to give everyone an outstanding holiday.

Thank you and also to those who've also offered a complimentary comment. :D

I probably came across as Mr Angry, which I am not.........I, like you, just wish people would stop expecting X or any other cruise line to pamper to their personal wishes and understand that they are no more " special" than any other guest.

We all have our personal likes & dislikes and unless you're fortunate enough to be Russian Oligarch who can afford his own ocean-going super cruiser, you're stuck with the rest of us, so stop moaning about the fact that X changed the smoked salmon supplier (yes, really) or whether there's enough froth on the coffee (yes, really) and start having some fun :D:D

Loved your "wee rant". You are not Mr Angry, you are Mr. Lets B Realistic.

I think there is a big difference tho between commenting in general terms (I like my coffee / smoked salmon like this, or how Celebrity had it before) vs complaining (they changed the supplier) and then saying "That's it ... I am done with Celebrity"

But yet, this is clearly the case in some posts where things have changed... Be it the nighttime chocolates, cotton balls, or shampoo

I mean seriously... Does the person who writes in such a way, truly expect that Some one in HQ is going to drop everything, and call up the original Supplier and say: "Sorry we made a mistake... You have to come back... Because over on CC they said we Celebrity / RCCL made a mistake when we changed to another Company"

The fascinating thing is...

YES some people actually believe that their PERCEIVED STATUS as a Celebrity Customer (different coloured card, Captain's Club ranking) means that HQ needs to listen to their complaints at this ramped up level

I just don't get it

Cheers!

No idea why I would want to dine with the help. They are employees who work for a living on the ships.

Great comment.......................couldn't agree more, and you know us Brits.......the help stays downstairs::D

Thanks to everyone who has supported my original post. Nice to know there are still a few of us left who go on holiday for the rest, the experience and to see different places, not to walk around with a magnifying glass hoping to find the slightest imperfection :D

I never cease to be amazed at how some guests including very regular cruisers "ear bend" and try and monopolise senior staff.

No wonder some officers body swerve events.

Ditto. We not-so-affectionately call them Cruise Groupies and can pick them out, if not within minutes of the conclusion of muster, then certainly soon thereafter!

Edited by lysolqn

Rant over!

Love your post and your picture!

This forum provides a lot of good useful information. But it also provides a forum for those who like to feel important (nothing wrong with that.. just saying) which for people like me provides a lot of amuseing and thankful moments. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In my 20 cruises, I didn't take even 1 pic with the Capitan, is a waste of my vacation time to stand in long lines for that. I don't enjoy the welcome back party either, and the thingy in the state room stays there after I leave as well. I didn't even notice when they stopped the chocolate on the pillow, (and I was the one eating both n my bf's and mine) my goal is having fun and enjoy the vacation.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Forgive me if we are just dense or somehow out of the loop that other cruisers are in but my husband and I just do not understand what the big deal is about whether or not the officers attend events. I go on a cruise to enjoy my husband and our friend's company. Why is it so important to so many where the officers are, what events they attend and who they speak too? Of course if I should come across them on board I would expect a nod or a hello, but I would expect that from any passenger. Really, I am not trying to be rude but what are we missing?????

I agree with you, but it's all right with me if others enjoy this. I also don't care who the cruise director is--only one stands out to me as memorable, mostly because he wasn't as cheesy as most.

I'd actually rather not eat dinner with the captain! Sacrilege, I know.

Rant over!

Bingo! Give the man a prize! :D

I'll add one of my personal annoyances- people who delusionaly think they have some type of personal ownership in the vessel. In conversing with them, you'd think it was their prized '57 Corvette that we were riding in! :eek:

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

So many great posts on this thread... on BOTH ends of the spectrum... even the unbelievably condescending remarks concerning "the hired help."

We were walking by the "photo set up" next to Cellar Masters one night when my girlfriend and I were asked if we would like our picture taken with the Captain.

The look of total astonishment and utter shock on the photographer's face when I said "no thanks" was absolutely priceless.

The Captain has a VERY important job, and I am extremely pleased he is well trained, highly experienced, and performs his duties in a exceptionally professional manner. (contrast with the "master" of Costa Concordia) :cool:

What many self absorbed folks, who measure their worth by how they dress on formal night, who they dine with, who they get their picture taken with, or who they are seen talking with, fail to realize is...

,,,the unknown maintenance guy who insures the toilets work, is of much more practical importance. :rolleyes:

A SPECIAL thanks to "Argo" for a FANTASTIC comment. Your first martini on our next cruise together is on me.

Edited by teecee60

I am one of those who commented about not seeing the officers on a recent cruise....so let me give you my perspective. We have noticed that the tone of the ship is different when the officers are visible walking around. There's more smiling, service is better...there is a different vibe. I don't think we realized this fully until we had captain Lesko(sp) and his staff captain Thomas ? on the infinity TA last Fall (The capt is now on the silly..no idea where thomas is). They seem to be everywhere...the captain walked through blu every night just saying hi or joking with passengers. Thomas was at every event and just went from table to table every night at the elite cocktails....and through the buffet area at lunch., just telling stories or whatever. We felt that we really were part of family...it was just a different cruise. I don't think we expressed even one complaint...I know we gave many compliments and learned a few jokes....and the crew on that cruise was just incredible. I'm sure they don't remember us, but they made a difference. I suspect anyone on that cruise, irrespective of cabin or captain's club level remembers that as a special cruise.

Our recent Infinity cruise was also excellent, albeit without the officers floating around. I've always found it interesting at the elite event to talk with whoever's there about the ship's inner workings...but on this cruise, the only "officer" who showed up was the lead auctioneer from Park West...not something that I'm interested in pursuing. Of course for the early part of the cruise, the officers had their hands full...bad seas, bad weather...but I missed some of those interesting conversations.....and no, we're not ear benders...these are short chats when they stop by to say hi. We have no pictures of us with any officers, we've never asked for or received any favors or recognition by chatting with the officers and we've never had (nor do we want) the opportunity to dine with the captain.

Other's of course see things differently.....that' why we have long threads on CC :)

Edited by ghstudio

We were walking by the "photo set up" next to Cellar Masters one night when my girlfriend and I were asked if we would like our picture taken with the Captain.

The look of total astonishment and utter shock on the photographer's face when I said "no thanks" was absolutely priceless.

LOL -- that's the exact same look I get, walking past them at port stops. These guys/gals are not the Captain's social staff. They are there for one thing, and one thing only -- to sell pictures (and over-priced ones, at that)! :eek:

Forgive me if we are just dense or somehow out of the loop that other cruisers are in but my husband and I just do not understand what the big deal is about whether or not the officers attend events. I go on a cruise to enjoy my husband and our friend's company. Why is it so important to so many where the officers are, what events they attend and who they speak too? Of course if I should come across them on board I would expect a nod or a hello, but I would expect that from any passenger. Really, I am not trying to be rude but what are we missing?????

Not a big deal to us at all. If they are at an event we go to fine, otherwise, we could care less. Same as you, if I see them I say hi, but otherwise, I am there to cruise and enjoy, not to hobnob with the officers.

Like many others meeting the officers really does not Impact on our enjoyment of the cruise. Rather annoyed on our recent cruise when our waiter in the MDR was transferred to serve a group of officers who were celebrating a birthday. This really did impact on our evening and not in a nice way. Our food was late being served even though it was at the serving station - as other waiters served us when they had served their tables. One meal had to be returned as it was far too cold but we had to wait for a waiter from another area to be free. As a result we had to leave our meal in order to go to the show.