Stupid TSA Question re: Lipstick

noblepa

I pack all my lipstick, lip gloss, cream rouge, and anything else that could be construed by a TSA official as "liquid" or "gel" in my checked luggage. I pay too much for my cosmetics to risk them being taken by a TSA agent who has his own interpretation of the rules.

Besides, no one wants to see me without my make up.

I'm one of those people who gets twitchy if I don't have my particular brand and flavor of lip balm on my person. When I travel, I take several with me and I put them all in the 3-1-1 bag. They don't take up much room and I'd hate to see them confiscated, since I can't always find them in stores (I have a stash at home).

If I carried a lot of lipsticks with me, or other makeup that a TSA agent might misconstrue as a gel, I would probably put it in my checked bags.

It's not a matter of them taking up too much space. I have an inhaler that might have to go in that bag. Not sure, this is the first time traveling with it. I also have a prescription pain gel that I sometimes put in there. Not much room left after that.

It's not a matter of them taking up too much space. I have an inhaler that might have to go in that bag. Not sure, this is the first time traveling with it. I also have a prescription pain gel that I sometimes put in there. Not much room left after that.

Your inhaler and prescription gel w/ prescription label attached do not go in your 311 zip lock bag.

I put my inhalers In a separate medication baggy. They don't count, you can carry all your meds regardless of size, I just put in a separate baggy and declare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

I had to laugh at this line from the TSA page:

"

You can bring pies and cakes through the security checkpoint, but they are subject to additional screening"

One has to wonder how much would be left after being "screened" and who gets the job.:D

If you try the TSA link I shared and in the search area put in an item that's a liquid, for example I used mascara, it does tell you it needs to go in the 311 bag. If it doesn't tell you that and it indicates it can go in carry on , it SHOULD be safe to keep with the rest of your carry on stuff. I highlight the word should because this is the TSA we are talking about 😉 My uncle works TSA at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and he introduced me to how the website works.

Edited by Cruiser Andi

Your inhaler and prescription gel w/ prescription label attached do not go in your 311 zip lock bag.

I put my inhalers In a separate medication baggy. They don't count, you can carry all your meds regardless of size, I just put in a separate baggy and declare them.

Medical items can go in their own bag and you can still have your usual 3-1-1 bag with make up etc

Thanks for the info. I did do some research but again found it vague. Was looking at one some folks had said online and some said it needed to go and others said no. I was hoping to be off this stupid inhaler by now but it's turning out to be a constant for me.

Thanks for the info. I did do some research but again found it vague. Was looking at one some folks had said online and some said it needed to go and others said no. I was hoping to be off this stupid inhaler by now but it's turning out to be a constant for me.

My husband carries his liquid nitro spray in his pocket and just places it loose in the tray along with all his other pocket stuff. He has never had an issue. I read once that prescription medical liquids do not have to be bagged as long as you plainly display them. We have taken dozens of trips through both US and Canadian security using this method.

My husband carries his liquid nitro spray in his pocket and just places it loose in the tray along with all his other pocket stuff. He has never had an issue. I read once that prescription medical liquids do not have to be bagged as long as you plainly display them. We have taken dozens of trips through both US and Canadian security using this method.

Thanks sapper!

Just leave it in her makeup back in her purse. Lipstick is not considered a cream, gel or liquid, nor is lip gloss.

Depending on how picky they are, lip gloss is a liquid, but lipstick is not. Mascara is also considered a liquid....silly, I know, but it is. I saw somebody have theirs tossed as it wasn't in their baggy. I think they post that said they make it up as they go along is probably right on the money.

My DH got stopped for having a C02 cartridge in one of those had to open plastic containers (brand new -- a gift) whipped creamed maker. They tore into the packaging (you know how hard it is to open one of those) and removed the cartridge. They also turned his name into the TSA ... took about 45 minutes in all, after which he said he was never going to fly again. Come to find out, 2 small cartridges were allowed. We were peeved to say the least. So, now, whenever he flies, he actually seems to get picked to go through the TSA pre-check line. First, they thought maybe he was going to blow up the plane with his new whipped cream maker and now he gets a free pass 80% of the time. Silly!!

I carry both lipstick and lip salve in my handbag and have never had a problem anywhere.

I remember going to the smoking room in Atlanta airport and being asked for a light by another passenger who also wanted to know how I was able to fly with a lighter. Never been a problem with lippies or lighters:)

Just came through London Heathrow on Wednesday - lipstick out of purse and into baggy!!

Interesting to read that, because I was about to comment that years ago I got a telling-off at Heathrow for not putting my lipstick into a baggy, along with my mascara. And yet since then I have routinely left it in my make-up pouch, in my flight bag, and no one has said a word. I thought the rules had been relaxed.

Interesting to read that, because I was about to comment that years ago I got a telling-off at Heathrow for not putting my lipstick into a baggy, along with my mascara. And yet since then I have routinely left it in my make-up pouch, in my flight bag, and no one has said a word. I thought the rules had been relaxed.

Lizzie, I was able to keep my lipstick in my purse at Heathrow in June of 2013 so maybe they have lightened up a bit. Or----maybe they are like HAL and the answer depends on which official you talk to.

Edited by sapper1

When I had to actually get my entire carry on bag searched because of my lipstick..... Well that was enough for me! He made me open and roll up two tubes. And because of the lipstick I was also searched and all my stuff....BECAUSE IT WAS POLICY, says the idiot who works for The Stupid Agency! Then I had to wait an additional 20 for a female agent to be available for that special treatment TSA is known for.

So all lipstick now goes in the baggy even though it's not gel. I do not want to waste valuable time and let those idiots paw thru my belongings.

I think this was a case of TSA making up rules on the spot as my lipstick should have been fine....happened SeaTac 5 weeks ago.

Edited by nana541

I have never put my lipsticks in the baggies to show at airport security. I have never had a problem. (So far). But I have always questioned in my own mind if lipstick counts to be put in the little baggies.

Actually sometimes I put my lipsticks in a baggie in my checked luggage. That way I don't have to worry.

Now airlines are getting more strict with regard to the size of carryon AND charging for checked baggage. sigh. Oh the joys of travel.

I leave my lipstick in my purse. From the TSA website:

Q. What are the rules for makeup?

A. Makeup is subject to the same liquid and gel rules as all other substances -- so if you're bringing liquid mascara, lip gels (such as Blistex) or other liquid- or gel-like items, they will need to be placed in your quart-size plastic bag in 3.4-ounce or smaller containers. Lipstick, powders, solid lip balms (such as ChapStick) and other solid beauty products are not subject to the rules, and may be carried in your hand luggage without restriction.

Now airlines are getting more strict with regard to the size of carryon AND charging for checked baggage. sigh. Oh the joys of travel.

I am glad the airlines are enforcing their own size requirements for carryons. Why have size requirements if they're not going to enforce them?

I am tired of people bringing four bags on the plane when the rules state one carry-on piece and one personal item. Yes, ladies, additional shopping bags ARE items!