Would you travel if you knew you'd been exposed to a very infectious disease?

Katgoesonholiday

Seems like quite a few people would. :mad: There are a lot of people upset at how the airline handled this but not so many annoyed at the passengers who got onto the flight knowing members of their group had norovirus!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/62770640/norovirus-fears-on-air-nz-flight.html

Most of the cruise lines today are marketing to the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME generation.

The cruise is all about ME.

If I happen to get sick and must gamble the health and enjoyment of all the other passengers to enjoy MY cruise, so be it.

Sad, but that is the attitude we see far too often.

People have knowingly traveled with infectious disease since the dawn of creation and that is likely not to change. We are just more aware of it at the present time because of Ebola. Heck, for many diseases you can be contagious without having any symptoms.

There is something to be said for knowing what are the science-based recommendations.

For example, Many people have boarded a cruise ship with an upset stomach, and have knowingly not answered the health questionaire accurately and exposed others to norovirus.

The epidemiology related to ebola is that you are not contagious, presenting no risk to others if you have no symptoms.

More people will die from the flu this year than ebola. Have you ever boarded public transportation with a cough and/or runny nose?

The OP is asking if you would board after exposure to a very infectious disease. I agree with the poster that this is something that has been going on for a very long time.

I would caution to differentiate between exposure and signs and symptoms of disease.

to answer the original question - would I travel if I had a known exposure to infection? Yes, if I had no symptoms of disease. I was a healthcare worker for more than 45 years. I have not isolated myself every time I cared for someone with an infectious disease.

Anyone who has used public transportation during flu season would have to answer yes

Easy peasy YES

If and only if I had been cleared of any possibility of having the disease. OR being able to spread it.

There is something to be said for knowing what are the science-based recommendations.

For example, Many people have boarded a cruise ship with an upset stomach, and have knowingly not answered the health questionaire accurately and exposed others to norovirus.

The epidemiology related to ebola is that you are not contagious, presenting no risk to others if you have no symptoms.

More people will die from the flu this year than ebola. Have you ever boarded public transportation with a cough and/or runny nose?

The OP is asking if you would board after exposure to a very infectious disease. I agree with the poster that this is something that has been going on for a very long time.

I would caution to differentiate between exposure and signs and symptoms of disease.

to answer the original question - would I travel if I had a known exposure to infection? Yes, if I had no symptoms of disease. I was a healthcare worker for more than 45 years. I have not isolated myself every time I cared for someone with an infectious disease.

Anyone who has used public transportation during flu season would have to answer yes

Ebola is different from most other viral diseases in that a person in not contagious until symptoms present. The flu, measels, chicken pox and many others are contagious before symptoms present. A person is contagious before they could know that they are sick.

Most of the cruise lines today are marketing to the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME generation.

The cruise is all about ME.

If I happen to get sick and must gamble the health and enjoyment of all the other passengers to enjoy MY cruise, so be it.

Sad, but that is the attitude we see far too often.

ME likes this.

I can't imagine even wanting to leave the safety of my own bedroom/bathroom with Noro! Had it once....do not EVER, EVER want it again! Soooooo ill. Vacation wouldn't be fun at all with that virus....and it's NOT just 24 hours, and you feel fine...no sir!