Royal: If you want to charge premium prices, go back to giving a premium product

LMaxwell

I have done a LOT of reading of the Celebrity forum. It would be logical to go to Celebrity for a step up, and have our Diamond RCI perks transfer as well, but every time I read that forum it is like the apocalypse. Lots of negativity and disappointment in changes.

I just got off the Explorer of the Seas yesterday and all I can say to those complaining on the Celebrity boards, try eating for a week on a Royal ship in the MDR and Windjammers. My guess is most would stop whining about food quality on X.

LMaxwell is 1000% right.

I sailed them. I laughed (with disgust) at their destruction of a once top-shelf brand.

And I booked with Holland America.

Want Broadway shows? The TKTS booth in Times Square is open. Want a Walmart cruise? Book RCCL.

Apperently you haven't done your homework..:rolleyes: Go back check some of the RCL prices for cruises the end of this year and into next year and you will see some amazing values for RCL cruises. Your comments honestly have zero merit, sorry.

I t would seem your homework is obviously biased, and lacks no merit! Time to get your glasses out and do your homework!:rolleyes:

I am an RCL stockholder, I am not biased against RCL, but I cruise on other lines because of their value!

RCL's sales are still not as good as others! Now you might argue that you like the RCL product for the higher price, but that's subjective, not factual!:eek:

Tt only takes a simple comparison to see the honest fact, RCL's prices on average are higher then NCL's, MSC's, and Carnivals!

That's why RCL will never go without last minute sales to fill cabins! NEVER!:eek:

Edited by American Bear

LMaxwell is 1000% right.

I sailed them. I laughed (with disgust) at their destruction of a once top-shelf brand.

Want Broadway shows? The TKTS booth in Times Square is open. Want a Walmart cruise? Book RCCL.

Enjoy your LOTS cruise on RCCL, be sure to say hello to the greeter

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43915865#post43915865

LMaxwell is 1000% right.

Aren't you boarding Legend tomorrow? :confused:

I have done a LOT of reading of the Celebrity forum. It would be logical to go to Celebrity for a step up, and have our Diamond RCI perks transfer as well, but every time I read that forum it is like the apocalypse. Lots of negativity and disappointment in changes.

This has to be one of the best threads of the year... lots of excellent and thoughtful discussion.

Commenting on LMaxwell above, I went on my only X cruise in 2011 on the Constellation. I believe 4 yrs ago X was still considered a notch above RCL? It was 12 days Turkey/Greece. Many of you know I just came off the Serenade 12 day in the Med/Adriatic... so 2 similarly sized ships, same'ish itineraries & length, etc, I can say I enjoyed my ship experience on Serenade more than on the Constellation. There were two things that stood out on X: the stateroom was gorgeous, definitely a notch above RCL's and the last 7 days ...not the 1st 4-5 days!... the MDR food was excellent. RCL to me had the nicer ship and venues (Centrum, theatre), better entertainment and definitely better events for me. Service and attitude on both were equal. Looking back at both experiences, there is no way I would pay much more for an X cruise over RCL. I think that's been established in today's market too as X cruises Caribbean, Europe, wherever are not much more than RCL's and in fact most recently have been cheaper with great 1-2-3 promos.

Good to see Mommabean still cruising and having great experiences (Allure). I know she was one of those valued long time CC'ers close to jumping ship in the last year with the many RCL changes (pricing, losing points, etc) and I think she would be a sad loss for RCL and CC... too good of an ambassador to lose. I think I've been lucky... from my first 2008 Explorer experience to 2014 I have seen some changes, but not overly huge. The biggest being MDR quality for sure. Having said that, I've experienced excellent service in pretty much all my cruises in the last 2 years. If you've read my comments on my most recent Vision, Navigator and Serenade reviews I have mentioned many small shortcomings so I'm not a bandwagoner that has to profess RCL as the God of cruise lines, however I personally haven't seen the massive changes that some say they have experienced. I've loved my experience on board recently! They've been excellent, and especially the service and MDR most recently on Serenade.... and my back was up on Serenade as it's my least favorite class, I was really looking for service issues, food quality, etc after discussing all this stuff here on CC this past year.

I am guessing I am due for a major problem on an RCL ship to occur as it's Murphy's law that nothing is perfect in life or with humans ... it cannot be perfect with every single cruise. So I guess my question is are we perceiving that our past RCL experiences (service, food, etc) were better than they actually were? Has the service value, food really gone downhill that much? or at all? For me personally, not much at all and yet some of the pricing/values I've had cruising RCL pre-BOGOHO I feel were unbelievable bargains I may never see again (Adventure 14-day TA $450 solo, Rhapsody Alaska $650 solo, Liberty 7-day Mexico $399pp interior, Vision 7 day wrap-around corner aft JS $999pp + OBC!!!)

Higher pricing vs. value? Well, I guess if cabins are still being filled RCL will win this argument hands down. As a solo many times, there is no way I can afford current solo pricing compared to pre-BOGOHO, so I will definitely be looking and studying other lines now for my cruising fix. It will also be interesting to see how the Going Going Gone sail is affected, or if it's totally eliminated. I have a hard time believing a ship with 250 empty cabins a month from sailing for example will not offer some kind of sale. I guess we'll all see :)

Edited by Hoopster95

I am not here to bash RCCL as we love sailing on them, however we just got off the Divina yesterday and the shows were the best I have seen on any of my cruises. The food was also wonderful!!! But I still want to go on the Allure, but would not hesitate to book Divina again. I think it's important to try different lines and be open to it.

Edited by skyking

I have been cruising since 05 when i graduated high school . I notice the price on cruises is like the current gasoline prices. here in NC people were jumping up and down when they were under 3 dollars a gallon saying they were getting such a deal but no one members same time last year they were always under 3 dollars a gallon. Cruising is becoming the same way. All the lines are slowly increasing prices till there is an uproar then they back off a little every one is excited for the cheaper cruises and they book then the cycle begins again.

I agree. Pretty simple isn't it?;):)

If your favorite restaurant stopped offering your favorite dishes you may choose not to spend money there. But would it not be more beneficial to tell the restaurant what your favorite dishes were and ask them to reconsider?

If your favorite restaurant stopped offering your favorite dishes you may choose not to spend money there. But would it not be more beneficial to tell the restaurant what your favorite dishes were and ask them to reconsider?

Fine tell them. Do what you feel you need to do. I personally have no issues with my two preferred cruise lines which is RCI and Celebrity. I feel the prices are in line and are a good value. If I don't like a product I simply don't buy it. It's not my job to tell a company why I'm not purchasing their product. I just move on.

Edited by cruisingator2

My last two RCI cruises (On Jewel and Allure) definitely weren't up to the standards of my first few. The most noticeable problem was with the MDR. The waitstaff seemed very overworked, made multiple mistakes with orders, and weren't very friendly at all. This was on both ships. The Allure dining experience was slightly worse than on the Jewel. I still had a great time on both ships, but meals were certainly not a highlight. I probably won't sail on Allure again. It was fun to do once, but I just didn't find it to be the type of cruise I prefer, which is all about relaxation and being pampered. I'm definitely more of a small to medium size ship gal. I have higher expectations for my upcoming Serenade cruises, maybe because I had such a wonderful time on that ship in 2010. Time will tell if the same problems exist on the Serenade, or if the Jewel & Allure were the anomalies.

I do miss the chocolates, and the little gifts that we used to get for being returning passengers. I still have my Sovereign of the Seas beach bag. I miss the prizes we used to get for participating in fitness activities. I miss the midnight buffet.

I'll still sail on RCI with the right deal and itinerary, but other lines are certainly an option. Princess still has a very good product, and I'd like to try Celebrity now that I'll be Diamond on RCI and can get reciprocity.

Fine tell them. Do what you feel you need to do.

I can, and will continue to share my opinions with companies; not just RCI. Sometimes they have no impact, other times I am surprised at the response. Some people find it easier not to bother. Neither method is right, neither method is wrong. I just think that if you don't voice an opinion that you are capitulating to devolving standards (no matter what company is in question).

Fine tell them. Do what you feel you need to do. I personally have no issues with my two preferred cruise lines which is RCI and Celebrity. I feel the prices are in line and are a good value. If I don't like a product I simply don't buy it. It's not my job to tell a company why I'm not purchasing their product. I just move on.

I personally do not have any issues with RCI. Years ago I was in charge of quality control for the manufacturing plant that I worked in. We had the attitude that is was better to hear the complaints from our customers. If we know there is a problem we might be able to fix it. If a customer says nothing, just moves on, that is lost business. I would hope that RCI has that same attitude. if enough people complain, maybe they will listen

I personally do not have any issues with RCI. Years ago I was in charge of quality control for the manufacturing plant that I worked in. We had the attitude that is was better to hear the complaints from our customers. If we know there is a problem we might be able to fix it. If a customer says nothing, just moves on, that is lost business. I would hope that RCI has that same attitude. if enough people complain, maybe they will listen

Very well said.

We need to express our concerns.

I still think that RCI monitors these pages and looks for issues.

Not that anything would be done, but, just to see what is being said.

Thanks for your view,

Sea Ya

I have let RCI know when I thought something aboard the ships could have been better and I have also let them know what they are doing right and when I particularly enjoy something aboard the ships.

I appreciate patients letting me know what I am doing right and what I could improve. Sometimes I implement their suggestions and sometimes I don't. I am well aware that I can't make everyone happy. But I am interested in hearing there opinions.

Side note..

I think its kind of funny how cruise lines have played into the perceptions of cruising changing over the years. I remember in the 80's and 90's, when somebody went on a cruise it was like "Wow! The Smiths are going on a cruise!" Like it was a big deal and a very nice vacation. With the quality and prices staying the same all these years, now its more like "Wow... the Smiths are going on a cruise..." Like it is little more if not the same level as a beach trip.

Not that its any one cruise lines fault, its was in all of their best interests to make cruising more mainstream, but I still find it kind of comical.

Side note..

I think its kind of funny how cruise lines have played into the perceptions of cruising changing over the years. I remember in the 80's and 90's, when somebody went on a cruise it was like "Wow! The Smiths are going on a cruise!" Like it was a big deal and a very nice vacation. With the quality and prices staying the same all these years, now its more like "Wow... the Smiths are going on a cruise..." Like it is little more if not the same level as a beach trip.

Not that its any one cruise lines fault, its was in all of their best interests to make cruising more mainstream, but I still find it kind of comical.

Either way -- The Smiths were going on a cruise.....so what is the point that I am missing.

Side note..

I find it interesting too. In Australia, there are quite a few people who still think a cruise is for people who want a drunken party or for 'old people'. Slowly the industry and people who have experienced cruising are converting others to the idea that there are different demographics on different cruise lines and that there are cruises to suit virtually anyone.

The old saying 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil' is very true!

While it may be 'your way' to move on when not happy, many others don't think its a 'job' to tell a company they were happy with in the past that things have changed for the worse in their opinion!

To each their own!:)

And yes, I think the cruise lines monitor the CC forums!

Edited by American Bear

I find it interesting too. In Australia, there are quite a few people who still think a cruise is for people who want a drunken party or for 'old people'. Slowly the industry and people who have experienced cruising are converting others to the idea that there are different demographics on different cruise lines and that there are cruises to suit virtually anyone.

Maybe if cruise line put more ships in the Australian/South Pacific marketplace, people would begin to see it differently.

Absolutely correct. It is indeed middle of the road. RCCI and every other line has tried to cut back on little things that have become noticeable, but they do indeed offer value. If you want premium for a 7 day Caribbean cruise try pays $300 or more per day. RCCI is about 40% of that for a balcony.