Cruising without a passport?

kugelette

We are doing a last minute, closed-circuit cruise to the caribbean.

The itinerary is:

Ft Lauderdale > Grand Turk > San Juan > St Thomas > Half Moon Cay > Ft Lauderdale

I had a recent name change and my passport hasn't been updated. Since we're sailing shortly, I'd rather not have to rush to get it updated, and Holland America's CSR assured me that I could simply bring my birth certificate or SS card and driver's license, and I would be fine.

Has anyone done this? I don't want to get down there and be refused entry onto the ship, or to one of the ports. I'm generally leery of advice on important issues from CSRs, because it isn't always accurate...

That is called a closed loop cruise and U.S. citizens are permitted to sail that itinerary with official birth certificate and government issued photo ID such as drivers license.

However, in the small chance you become ill or have an emergency, you cannot fly internationally without a passport.

Edited by sail7seas

That is called a closed loop cruise and U.S. citizens are permitted to sail that itinerary with official birth certificate and government issued photo ID such as drivers license.

However, in the small chance you become ill or have an emergency, you cannot fly internationally without a passport.

Will it be problematic that the name on my birth certificate does not at all match the name on my DL? There was both a first name and last name change, so I'd be showing up with a BC that reads "Jane Doe" and a DL that says "Mary Poppins".

We are doing a last minute, closed-circuit cruise to the caribbean.

The itinerary is:

Ft Lauderdale > Grand Turk > San Juan > St Thomas > Half Moon Cay > Ft Lauderdale

I had a recent name change and my passport hasn't been updated. Since we're sailing shortly, I'd rather not have to rush to get it updated, and Holland America's CSR assured me that I could simply bring my birth certificate or SS card and driver's license, and I would be fine.

Has anyone done this? I don't want to get down there and be refused entry onto the ship, or to one of the ports. I'm generally leery of advice on important issues from CSRs, because it isn't always accurate...

Here's the answer to your question from Royal Caribbean's website. I couldn't find anything similar on Holland America, but I would imagine that it's more of a government requirement than a cruise line one.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=3983&faqSubjectId=329

Here's the answer to your question from Royal Caribbean's website. I couldn't find anything similar on Holland America, but I would imagine that it's more of a government requirement than a cruise line one.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=3983&faqSubjectId=329

Go figure. HA is the only line I've sailed that required a notorized form for my son to cruise with me (without his father).

Will it be problematic that the name on my birth certificate does not at all match the name on my DL? There was both a first name and last name change, so I'd be showing up with a BC that reads "Jane Doe" and a DL that says "Mary Poppins".

Trying to explain the discrepancy to Cruise Critic members is one thing ... explaining it to Customs or Immigration officers might be another :eek: Why take a chance. Just apply for a new passport!

Bring all bridging documents. Each time your name changed should be able to be documented for authorities. Marriage License, Divorce Decree, formal Court sanctioned name change etc........ which ever documents apply in your situation.

No MARRIED woman's DL matches her BC!!! Not a problem...they are looking at birthdates...it's always helpful when you get married, to take your maiden name as you "middle" name.

No all women that get married take their husband's (or wife's!) last name.

No all women that get married take their husband's (or wife's!) last name.

Hey, I kept my ex husbands name because I like it better than mine.

Being a canadian I simply don't understand not having as passport. Why not just get it and not have to worry about possible issues.

I agree with the above about get the passport updated. Pay the expedited service if you need but bureaucrats can be very unpredictable when something is slightly out of the norm. While you are at it, you might want to consider applying for Global Entry. Really helps when returning and provides TSA Pre Check advantages domestically. Imho, leaving the country with the current state of affairs in the world should be with a Passport. Hope you have a great cruise whichever way you choose.:D

No MARRIED woman's DL matches her BC!!! Not a problem...they are looking at birthdates...it's always helpful when you get married, to take your maiden name as you "middle" name.

She said both her first and last names changed.

Few women change their first name when they marry.

Why would that help? Most women do not have the middle name written out fully on a DL. The middle name would only be an initial. My maiden name is Adams (my "middle" name), but on my DL is Joan A. Citizen. :confused:

Edited by Rala

Not sure if this will help since it's slightly different than what you are describing. But my husband did not have a passport, we just got back from the Westerdam yesterday.

We had no problems boarding, they looked at his birth certificate and picture ID. you can't do any shore excursions to St John because you have to go through customs and they require a passport. Coming home I filled out the customs form because I have a passport, they asked to see his birth certificate and picture ID.

Maybe call the state department and ask what they suggest. I called them after we tried to get husbands passport and they were very helpful.

I think there is more to this story than OP is telling us. All the speculating in the world here is not going to help her.

OP you either need to get a passport that matches your current name or take all the documentation with you that shows the progression from your birth name to your present name and hope they let you on the ship.

Whatever we tell you here will not stand up when you reach the port. And as we learned from the thread "Holland America Disasterdam" even what the HAL CSRs tell you will not stand up at the the port.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Go figure. HA is the only line I've sailed that required a notorized form for my son to cruise with me (without his father).[/quote

Not just a HA issue........never been able to travel with my child to Mexico without a notorized form from my husband if he was not coming with us.

Go figure. HA is the only line I've sailed that required a notorized form for my son to cruise with me (without his father).[/quote

Not just a HA issue........never been able to travel with my child to Mexico without a notorized form from my husband if he was not coming with us.

No, it's not a HAL rule. Same applies here in Canada if you are taking a child out of the country without the other parent.

I think there is more to this story than OP is telling us. All the speculating in the world here is not going to help her.

Terri

What could I be hiding? That I'm on the lam and using a cruise to escape to the caribbean, and from there, maybe on to a city in South America where I could blend in among the other young, gorgeous tourists? ;)

I'd rather NOT drag all of my documentation down with me (SSC, both DL's, cert'd BC, passport, court decree, cert'd marriage cert), but it sounds like that's the way it'll have to go.

Whichever poster commented about St. John, you must not be an American citizen. Americans don't need a passport to travel to the USVI, which includes St. John.

Surprised people indicated they don't keep certified copies of these things; I find I've had to mail them out or produce them a few times.

I still don't think I heard from anyone who's actually DONE a closed-circuit cruise without the passport - anybody? Would love to know how much of a PITA it is when you're boarding and then getting on/off the ship at ports.

I got married in March 2013 (legally changed my name through the marriage certificate and with social secuirty), but did not change my passport (or much of anything else) by the time we we traveled on the Westerdam to Alaska for our honeymoon in May 2013.

I registered with HAL using my maiden name and traveled using my passport in my maiden name even though that technically wasn't my name anymore.

If it's too late to rush a new passport, just changing the name HAL has on file for you and traveling under your previous name may be an alternative.

I got married in March 2013 (legally changed my name through the marriage certificate and with social secuirty), but did not change my passport (or much of anything else) by the time we we traveled on the Westerdam to Alaska for our honeymoon in May 2013.

I registered with HAL using my maiden name and traveled using my passport in my maiden name even though that technically wasn't my name anymore.

If it's too late to rush a new passport, just changing the name HAL has on file for you and traveling under your previous name may be an alternative.

That's an interesting idea. I thought, like plane tickets, once you booked in one name, you were fudged for changing it. Anyone ever done that?

That's an interesting idea. I thought, like plane tickets, once you booked in one name, you were fudged for changing it. Anyone ever done that?

You are not "changing" the name on the reservation.....you are "correcting" it due to an original error! I booked three staterooms with Celebrity and got one of the passenger's name wrong. It took a couple steps but was pretty painless to get it corrected.

Only thing is passport has to EXACTLY match name on booking and not be outdated My DD sailed on passport that was in her maiden name as it still had 5 years before exp. She now has a new one with her married name and maiden name as middle name. Side note one cruise was in Europe and had to fly and never had a problem as long as name matched flights, cruises etc. Joke at our house is now SIL has to travel with wife not mistress.