What happens if my cabin mates can't go?

Angiet2

Hi All....

My parents and several other friends/family members are due to leave on Allure today. I am sharing a cabin with my mom and dad, who booked under the firefighter promotion.

Now, dad has had a medical situation come up and he and mom can't go.

If I go, what happens to me? Do I have to pay full fare as a solo, at the pier?!

Any and all help, in a hurry, would be so appreciated.

Thx so much!

Angie

Mom and Dad are not worried about losing their money (they don't like it, but know that is the situation)...However, I do not want to drive 5 hours to the pier, get there as a 'solo' and have RCCL charge me full fare.

I called RCCL's 24 hour "day of travel" help line and oh my.... you cannot imagine the low level of customer service. Honestly, I think the rep was sitting in his home (the TV was on quite loud) and I know that he fell asleep at least ONCE during our conversation.

Thank Heaven for Cruise Critic!

You will NOT have to pay anything additional! All the berths in your cabin are already paid for.

Solos pay extra because they are essentially paying for the second space in their cabin. Your parents have already paid those spaces. As far as Royal is concerned everything is fully paid. Your parents may be able to receive some rebate from their insurance, but that is irrelevant to your fare.

I hope your Dad's medical issue is not serious, and that you have a great cruise.

So , if you already know the money is spent , look on the bright side .You have a large cabin with extra beds .You have friends and family on board .If one or even two of them decide somebody in their cabin snores or gets too drunk or some other crap happens , you can look like the cats meow and let them stay with you .:D:D

Guess you will then have to pay the single fare.

Your parents should go for insurance. Although it is a short notice talk to RCCL about anything that they could do for you and/or your parents.

Absolutely wrong. Cabin is already paid for, so you are fine. A little too late to purchase insurance of course but your parents might get port charges refunded. Hope your dad recovers soon. At least you have family to cruise with.

generally, a person in your situation will not have to pay more if others do not show up. But you mentioned a detail in your original post that might or npmight not create an issue.

Do you personally qualify for the firefighter rate?

If so, bring your work ID or other proof.

If not, the cruise line probably has the right to remove the firefighter discount (effectively increasing your fare). Try not to fret about that possibility. The cruise line might not even ask for proof one qualifies for the discount. and under the circumstance (illness of two family members), they might not wish to look uncompassionate by messing with the fare. still, best to steal yourself to the chance somebody wil challenge the rate.