Tipping on Holland's Antarctica Landing tour question

lindaa

We are hopefully (weather permitting) going to do the Antarctica Landing excursion offered by Holland in March. We just don't know how much we should tip. If anyone has done this excursion would you mind sharing your decision on the tip? Does anyone out there have an opinion on tipping the folks? Given the cost of the tour - should it be a percentage of the cost of the excursion or a flat rate? What would be appropriate considering the excursion is appx 12 hours in duration?

Thanks everyone!

To me, tipping is a personal decision based on the level of service; both whether to tip and also the amount to tip. For that excursion - which is amazing by the way - seem to remember that we tipped $20 as the guide was great with tons of information.

Agree it is a personal thing. Depends on the level of service.

Please enlighten me on what Antarctica Landing excursion is.

The only one I've ever heard of on HAL (I've done the Antarctica cruise three times) is a flight out of Ushuaia (weather permitting). If there is another, I would be thrilled to learn about it.

The only one I've ever heard of on HAL (I've done the Antarctica cruise three times) is a flight out of Ushuaia (weather permitting). If there is another, I would be thrilled to learn about it.

Ruth,

The flight now leaves from Punta Arenas, Chile rather than Ushuaia.

The cost is about $3000 for the day.

Terri

Ruth,

Terri

Different port, same idea though. The only way I know of to get to the continent via HAL is a flight from South America. Those tend to get diverted elsewhere.

I know if that's the type of tour OP is asking about, then a percentage of the cost is NOT the way I would figure a tip.

Thanks everyone. Yes it's a flight out of Punta Arenas and costs are in the mid $3,000 range. So with the cost of the tour we are having trouble deciding upon the tip. We absolutely agree that it depends on service. Has anyone seen that reality show called below deck? The tips those folks receive are phenomenally huge. And I suspect it's based on the percentage of the daily costs... So with an excursion this pricey we didn't want to under or over tip. Appreciate all the input!

Different port, same idea though. The only way I know of to get to the continent via HAL is a flight from South America. Those tend to get diverted elsewhere.

I know if that's the type of tour OP is asking about, then a percentage of the cost is NOT the way I would figure a tip.

I don't think I would figure it as a percentage either. We are doing a tour of Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas, which also involves a flight and is quite costly(but not as much as Antarctica). While I plan to tip, I am not planning on a percentage of the cost.

Terri

I don't think I would figure it as a percentage either. We are doing a tour of Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas, which also involves a flight and is quite costly(but not as much as Antarctica). While I plan to tip, I am not planning on a percentage of the cost.

Terri

Tipping on a percentage would definitely not be very sensible. I have yet to see or hear of anyone tipping any airline personnel on top of the cost of a flight. If you are inclined to tip, which is by no way an obligation, I would figure out what you would tip a tour guide on a similar land excursion and go accordingly.

Ruth,

Terri

For maybe 2 - 3 times the $3000, I can do a real 10 day cruise in Antarctica with 4 or 5 days of landings with 2 landings per day instead of this over priced $3000 one day excursion.

Why would anyone even consider such an absurd excursion and such an absurd trip? How much time do you actually spend in Antarctica on this excursion?

BTW - who gets the tip - the pilot, the cabin attendants or the people you deal with on land?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We are hopefully (weather permitting) going to do the Antarctica Landing excursion offered by Holland in March. We just don't know how much we should tip. If anyone has done this excursion would you mind sharing your decision on the tip? Does anyone out there have an opinion on tipping the folks? Given the cost of the tour - should it be a percentage of the cost of the excursion or a flat rate? What would be appropriate considering the excursion is appx 12 hours in duration?

Thanks everyone!

NO tipping required! ;)

For maybe 2 - 3 times the $3000, I can do a real 10 day cruise in Antarctica with 4 or 5 days of landings with 2 landings per day instead of this over priced $3000 one day excursion.

Why would anyone even consider such an absurd excursion and such an absurd trip? How much time do you actually spend in Antarctica on this excursion?

"Absurd" is in the eyes of the beholder.

For reasons of their own, not everyone wants to take one of the expedition cruises that allow a shore landing.

Not everyone is capable of utilizing the zodiacs that are used for shore landings, yet they still want to get ashore. This is one way for them to do so.

Not everything comes down to price.

"Absurd" is in the eyes of the beholder.

For reasons of their own, not everyone wants to take one of the expedition cruises that allow a shore landing.

Not everyone is capable of utilizing the zodiacs that are used for shore landings, yet they still want to get ashore. This is one way for them to do so.

Not everything comes down to price.

I am still trying to understand what this excursion is all about. From what I am able to gleam from the comments, it is simply a "flyover" - no one goes ashore or am I wrong?

I am still trying to understand what this excursion is all about. From what I am able to gleam from the comments, it is simply a "flyover" - no one goes ashore or am I wrong?

I don't know exactly what is included in the shore excursion being discussed. But I do clearly remember on at least two of my cruises there I had an opportunity for a shore excursion that flew down, and landed on the continent. Passengers had an opportunity to get out, walk on the continent, visit the research station.

The list of required equipment was long, and expensive; it would have filled a large suitcase all by itself. It was a risk to purchase and transport all that equipment, since there was no guarantee that the flight/landing would be possible on the day you were there. Weather ruled on that score.

There was a separate, less expensive, shore excursion that was strictly a flyover. This, too, was not guaranteed for flight path, but had an alternate plan.

There is a landing. From the brochure that I have it says that there will be a landing and time ashore.

A one mile walk and boarding a zodiac to Ardley Island (weather permitting).

Terri

I remember HAL's "No tipping required" slogan. It was never meant to mean "No tipping expected" and was dropped when 'auto tipping' started.

I was thinking the same thing....... No tipping required does not mean no tipping expected or permitted. :)

BTW - who gets the tip - the pilot, the cabin attendants or the people you deal with on land?

DON

Thanks for this advice. Antarctica is on my bucket list and I am trying to decide how best to get there. Machu Picchu is up for this year and I've found a several day land tour for what the excursion would have cost.

I don't think it needs to be a percentage of the tour. Perhaps for a day tour $20.00 - $25.00 per person. Remember the guide is on the same aircraft with you.

We would never pay $6,000 for two people for a day tour to Antarctica. How long is the actual landing supposed to be, and where are you scheduled to land?

I would recommend at least a 10 day Antarctica trip. You will spend 2 days getting there each way and 6 days of landing two times a day. I would recommend A&K, and cost should be around $10,000.00 per person, which includes all drinks, gratuities, two nights pre cruise, etc.

Edited by Jade13