Small items for staff?

mak5

I heard the ladies in the spa were thrilled when someone brought them a box of Girl Scout thin mint cookies

They probably were.

Nothing wrong with showing a little extra appreciation for the staff in a personal way. One room stewardess commented positivley on the flavor of my wife's chap stick so at a port we bought her one. This had no bearing in the cash we gave at the end of the cruise but she seemed appreciative of the thoughtful gesture and it was not a space hogging trinket. We also gave her an unopened bottle of wine on departure day. She seemed thrilled with that one too lol!

It's not like anyone here thinks op wants to get a wall tapestry instead of a tip, just a little something consumable to go along with cash. Geez. Lighten up people. And yes I have worked many different tip jobs. And yes I have received tips other than cash. It's just someone's way of showing appreciation.

Cash...then they can get what they want! Your heart is in the right place, but you don't work for "gifts", and neither do they!!! When you go to a hotel, do you bring "gifts" for the housekeeper, or the waiter in the restaurants? Of course not! Being on the ship is no different!

Actually, some folks do bring gifts (school supplies, cosmetics, etc.) to resorts in poorer countries where consumer goods are in short supply or very expensive. In our experience, such offerings (along with cash tips) are always gratefully accepted.

I think your heart is in the right place, especially for the room attendant & wait staff at dinner. I would recommend you get a personalized card maybe and put their tip in the card, and maybe one of the AMAZING Cadbury chocolate bars from Canada. I love the chocolate bars. Honestly I don't think many people do anything "extra special". I have heard that tipping them 20 or so dollars on the first night will make them that much more grateful and you will receive better service. Give them a Cadbury chocolate bar and tape a $20 to it. They will LOVE it, and they can eat the chocolate or give it to a friend. Have a card for them at the end of the trip thanking them for their special service instead of just stuffing money in the envelope, they will probably throw the card away, but it is the thought that counts, and the kind words inside.

Where are most of the staff on the Enchantment from? When I travel I like to bring some small gifts from home to give to staff (don't worry, I do tip as well!) to show appreciation for making our trip special.

Does anyone have any ideas of things that the staff might like to have, and not be able to get at home? (We are from Canada)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Imagine how much junk each one would have if they'd kept all "small gifts" that cruisers gave them during the 6 months at sea. Of course you will get a "thank you" with a wide smile, but your gift will go in a garbage bin. There is no room in that tiny bunk cabin, and of course no room in their suitcase that goes back to their home country.

Where are most of the staff on the Enchantment from? When I travel I like to bring some small gifts from home to give to staff (don't worry, I do tip as well!) to show appreciation for making our trip special.

Does anyone have any ideas of things that the staff might like to have, and not be able to get at home? (We are from Canada)

Thanks for any suggestions.

high intensity led flashlight,Pure Canadian maple syrup are always enjoyed

We also gave her an unopened bottle of wine on departure day. She seemed thrilled with that one too lol!

Of course she did. But suppose she doesn't drink alcohol or doesn't like wine (lots of people don't.) Do you really think she'd say, 'Oh great ANOTHER bottle of wine I won't drink." No. She's going to act thrilled to make sure you don't get offended and not give her cash at week's end.

In our experience, such offerings (along with cash tips) are always gratefully accepted.

See above. Of course they'll be gratefully accepted. Gratefully accepted does not necessarily equal truly appreciated though. ;)

high intensity led flashlight,Pure Canadian maple syrup are always enjoyed

Really? Even if 8 prior pax just gave them a flashlight? What if they don't like maple syrup?

How about Halloween sized candy if you want to give something besides cash.

I don't like candy and imagine there others like me. Some probably even work on cruise ships. ;)

Of course she did. But suppose she doesn't drink alcohol or doesn't like wine (lots of people don't.) Do you really think she'd say, 'Oh great ANOTHER bottle of wine I won't drink." No. She's going to act thrilled to make sure you don't get offended and not give her cash at week's end.

We were getting ready to leave the ship and it was one less thing for us to carry. Giving her the wine was a bonus on top of the cash we had given her. If she didn't care for it she can give it away.

Remember, these are extras on top of cash, not in lieu of cash. I had clearly explained that it did not lessen the cash tip.

I always take several bags of smaller wrapped chocolates. I leave two each day on the desk with 'Thank You' written on a note pad. Just something a little extra (yes I do give extra tips too). One attendant told me he loves getting to our cabin because he knows there is a snack waiting for him, so I guess it's appreciated. On one trip we had a bottle of champs that we didn't drink and gave it to the cabin attendant. She loved that.

I'm sure there are lots of little things you can do without it overcrowding their cabins.

Question: Are the crew on RCI really allowed to accept bottles of liquor from passengers?

I ask because I just returned from Norwegian Getaway, where I had to leave 2 unopened bottles of sparkling wine in my cabin. I tried to give them to my steward, but he said the crew was strictly forbidden from drinking alcohol at any time, so he couldn't accept them.

Really? Even if 8 prior pax just gave them a flashlight? What if they don't like maple syrup?

I don't like candy and imagine there others like me. Some probably even work on cruise ships. ;)

REALLY ?????

I was not asking you for your opinion...I was giving mak5 a suggestion.

, but he said the crew was strictly forbidden from drinking alcohol at any time, so he couldn't accept them.

Wow, thats surprising! I thought every cruise ship had a crew bar and the crew parties were known to get rather wild! :eek:

http://www.musicianwages.com/photos-of-crew-room-vs-passenger-room/

"There’s two bunk beds and a folding chair. Under that bottom bunk is the storage area for your luggage (you have to flip the mattress up to get under there). There’s a bookshelf and a full-length mirror mounted on the wardrobe. There are two spaces in the wardrobe for the two different crew members...."

4 people sharing this cabin...http://www.cruiseshipjobsdirectory.com/accommodation.htm

Doesn't look like there's even room for an extra Hershey's mini.

Edited by marci22

I think it is kind of sweet that people want to show their appreciation to their room stewards in a "personalised" way. This query has come up a lot on Cruise Critic and it does seem quite divisive!

However, a big part of me thinks that the personalised and thoughtful gift says more about how the giver wants to be thought of, rather than the actual "needs" of the recipient. This is totally understandable as well. I know from my own experience, I find it quite difficult having somebody clean up after me - I don't have a cleaner at home, nor do I have a lovely cheery happy person who always looks really pleased to see me every time I pass them when leaving my house. It's natural to want to show acknowledgement of their work.

But, I would think the best 2 ways of showing that are:-

1) the old folding stuff, given matter of factly without any fuss at all, and;

2) stop interrogating them about the family life they are away from, the hours/pay/conditions they work in - I would find this upsetting if people kept asking me about my pay etc.... esp if they were stopping me from getting on with my work and then my boss was going to shout at me for not getting finished on time.

I have cleaned hotel rooms in the summer when I was 15. The best guests are the ones that keep their own "stuff" tidy, and then leave me to get on with it.

Edited by Suzieanna

Threads like this appear every month or so like a bad penny. Some folks just don't get the message.

Crew members appreciate paper with pictures of dead presidents (i.e. folding money). Favorable comments on surveys are also appreciated. They do not want food, liquor, knick knacks, or other assorted bric-a-brac. Those who insist upon giving these items are just trying to make themselves feel good.