Planning dinner around show times

CanDMan47

I know this is an often asked question, so I'm confused as to why I can't find it on three different searches. :confused:

What time are the main evening shows (we are going to be on the Dream)? Are the main shows at the same time each night?

We are a party of 8 with Your Time Dining. We want to sit together almost every night, so we want to get a reservation time for the bigger party, and hopefully get the same table and waiter each night, too. We also plan to see many of the shows, so this is why I'd like to know the times.

My only other cruise experience was on Royal :eek:(which was also a big party, 9. I'm the only one that was on that other one :D) and we were able to get the reservation like I want to on Carnival.

Also, what is Carnival's version of the Compass called, and when will it match up with Jan 4th's Dream cruise? I have't seen any uploads on here of any previous itineraries, does anybody upload them for Carnival?

So, the main three questions: What are the Main show times, what is the Carnival version of the Compass called, and when does the itinerary start for Jan 4th Dream (and 4th, will the itinerary be uploaded to this forum?)?

Thanks in advance, and I'll be back with more questions soon.

John/CanDMan47

Carnival doesn't really offer reservation times, you show up when you want to eat, and are either seated if there is a table of the size you need, or are given a pager to return when a table is open. You can perhaps talk with the maître d to see if you can be accommodated at a particular time but it is not guaranteed. Also note I have experienced longer wait times with larger parties, as others have also reported.

Carnival's version of the compass is called the 'fun times'. They are not uploaded here or anywhere else automatically or regularly. You can check johnhealdsblog.com and review some fun times uploaded there, though often these are dated / not very current. Alternatively some posters on this board will sometimes post them after their cruise, often with a review - but this too is highly variable and ymmv solely based on recent cruisers and their desire to do so. Try searching this board to see if you can find some recent uploads.

I do not understand your question regarding when the 'itinerary starts'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no reservations for Your Time Dining.

You come to the dining room and are seated as the table for your large group becomes available. There are fewer large tables than small tables.

There is often an early show and then the same show is repeated at a later time. Sometimes, depending on the itinerary there is one show per night. It will vary.

They do arrange it so that whether you eat early or later you should be able to see the entertainment.

Don't forget that there may also be comedians on board to entertain at various times throughout the evening.

No one automatically uploads itineraries. You should have a copy of the itinerary for your cruise in your booking. If you mean that you'd like to see the schedule of onboard activities then you can ask folks if they have copies of the Fun Times for your cruise from a previous one. It may be the same or a bit different when you are actually on board.

I know this is an often asked question, so I'm confused as to why I can't find it on three different searches. :confused:

What time are the main evening shows (we are going to be on the Dream)? Are the main shows at the same time each night?

We are a party of 8 with Your Time Dining. We want to sit together almost every night, so we want to get a reservation time for the bigger party, and hopefully get the same table and waiter each night, too. We also plan to see many of the shows, so this is why I'd like to know the times.

My only other cruise experience was on Royal :eek:(which was also a big party, 9. I'm the only one that was on that other one :D) and we were able to get the reservation like I want to on Carnival.

Also, what is Carnival's version of the Compass called, and when will it match up with Jan 4th's Dream cruise? I have't seen any uploads on here of any previous itineraries, does anybody upload them for Carnival?

So, the main three questions: What are the Main show times, what is the Carnival version of the Compass called, and when does the itinerary start for Jan 4th Dream (and 4th, will the itinerary be uploaded to this forum?)?

John/CanDMan47

The only way you are going to be guaranteed a reservation is with assigned dining - early seating or late seating. If you go to anytime dining early every day, you will probably have no trouble getting seated. If the waitstaff that you want has no table for your size party, you'd have to wait.

I had anytime dinning in January on the Sunshine. It was ok, but we prefer assigned time dinning. We went at 6ish each night. That way we didn't have to wait for a table. One reason I prefer assigned time is that I just miss the table mates of assigned dinning. Seeing the same group each night. It's the fun part to me

We normally choose early dinning to get to the shows. Most of the time they have and a late show.

I have cruised a bunch this year. Mainly the times were 745 845 and 1045 for comedy on conquest, breeze and glory. The other shows were usually 8 ish and 10sih for production shows like epic rock, Motown, the Britts and Divas.

Edited by tbbtravels

John/CanDMan47

Party of 8

You want to sit together

You want to see all the shows

You want to sit at the same table every night

You want the same wait staff

But yet you have Your Time dining? Why did you chose YTD when you really want MTD based on everything you said!

I do not understand your question regarding when the 'itinerary starts'

My only cruise experience is on the Royal, so that's all I can draw from. When I was on their boards prior to that cruise they posted their "compasses" and could tell me, as an example, that the itinerary of the Dec 7th cruise was the same as the Jan 4th itinerary. I don't know how often a their itineraries changed, but the first time a new one came up, that's what I meant by "itinerary starts."

Party of 8

You want to sit together

You want to see all the shows

You want to sit at the same table every night

You want the same wait staff

But yet you have Your Time dining? Why did you chose YTD when you really want MTD based on everything you said!

Again, my only experience is on Royal cruise, so it's all I can compare it to. They did allow us a to make a reservation the same time every night that wasn't one of their two fixed dining times. Since some of our port days we resume sailing at 6, that isn't a great time to eat. One of our rooms has 4 people in it, they'll need plenty of time to shower and such. And the late time is too late for dinner, to us, anyway. So, yes, in theory we want MTD, but with another choice of times.

I would change your party to traditional dining. That way very one knows what time dinner is. And where the table is.

Its hard to find tables for a larger group unless you show up at 6pm.

Its even harder finind the dining team that will have tables for you

If you go to the late dining you will go to the show before dinner.

Shows are either 7:30 or 8:00. Early seating goes to the show about 9:30

Here is what we did....

we were dressed and ready for dinner YTD, and standing at the door waiting to go in at 5:30 pm every night. They say you dinning time is 5:45-9pm but people are led to tables starting at 5:30pm. You can ask for a particular waiter or location in the room. We asked for different places each time so got to use several different waiters, some were okay and some were great.

Every night but one (we got there at 6pm on formal night which is always busier) in time to see the Show which starts at either 7 or 7:15pm each night. The night we were late, we still got in and got a seat but we missed the first 10 minutes of show.

You will have no problem if you do this...

I have to think they will have a problem doing that, 8 people may not be seated that quickly. If at all possible change to early or late assigned dining. Everything you posted points to that.

Main shows are based on those two dining times.

I have to think they will have a problem doing that, 8 people may not be seated that quickly. If at all possible change to early or late assigned dining. Everything you posted points to that.

Main shows are based on those two dining times.

On the MAGIC last week, it would not have been a problem at all. When we were seated each night, most tables were still empty. The way the dinning room for YTD was set up, all tables were in 2 seats or 4 seats in long rows. It was easy to move tables together for a group... or just sit in the rows since the tables were barely 1' apart! We were a party of 2 each night, and sat at a table for 4 with strangers each night, with a table to 2 or 4 next to us and WE ALL TALKED to each other every night... it was no different than sitting at a large table for 5-8 people. We loved it. Different dining companions every night, lots to chat about.

In the YTD room, we did see some large round tables, so if you want to wait on one of those it might be a few minutes... but as I said, if you are there when the dining room starts seating, you should not have to wait 5 or more minutes. Formal nights are busiest, so get there early or you will wait.

My experience on the DREAM was quite different last year, the first and hopefully last time I will do YTD. After waiting over 45 minutes the first night, we went at the very beginning of seating, 6 of us, and we had to wait still about 30 minutes the second night, somewhat less the third night when alot of others did the buffet instead of waiting.

So I suppose if they aren't or can't get assigned seating, getting there very early each night would be better than going later but I guess depending on the ship maybe it may or may not get you in quickly.

To answer the question - it makes no sense to get YTD then go every night at the same time you could have regular seating and be seated almost immediately. As you thought I had to, there was no assigned seating left when we booked.

Edited by Tampa8

We were on the Dream last week and had ATD. There was a wait on the first night and the second night (about 20 minutes), we went around 7:30 which is the busiest time. After that we did not have any wait for dinner. We were able to request the same wait staff. Every night seated above us was a large group who were able to sit together in the same place so I know it can be done.

To answer the question - it makes no sense to get YTD then go every night at the same time you could have regular seating and be seated almost immediately. As you thought I had to, there was no assigned seating left when we booked.

It makes no sense to someone that has sailed on Carnival and knows that they do not allow you to make a reservation for YTD. Being that I've only been on a Royal ship, and they do in fact allow you to do this, it makes sense to me, because I don't want to eat at 6 or 8:15. Six o'clock is the time we sail at two of the three ports and doesn't give us enough time to rebound and shower, etc...if we want to spend as much time on the island as we can. And 8:15 is a little too late for some of the older and younger parts of our party. But now that I know we can't make reservations for YTD like I could the only other time I've taken a cruise, I can see why you feel my thinking is flawed.

You misunderstand what I replied to, it wasn't your situation. Some are saying they get the YTD knowing how it works, then get there early so they don't have to wait, well if you do that you could have just signed up for early dining.

Your situation is very understandable I don't see where Carnival explains if there is or isn't reservations and on RCL apparently they do.

I am curious to ask why people take any time dining then go at 5:45?

what is the purpose? do people get stuck in anytime because the traditional has no more space?

Yes. No availability at 6 pm. They placed me at 815. So instead of anytime -I am on a waitlist now for 6pm on the Dream. Happens all the time. So if I can't get 6pm the the main dinning room I will be going again at 545 or 6 in the anytime dinning room.

Edited by tbbtravels

what is the purpose? do people get stuck in anytime because the traditional has no more space?

Yes. No availability at 6 pm. They placed me at 815. So instead of anytime -I am on a waitlist now for 6pm on the Dream. Happens all the time. So if I can't get 6pm the the main dinning room I will be going again at 545 or 6 in the anytime dinning room.

Exact same for us. We have had anytime dining on last two cruises. If we went after 6:15, there were lines and everything in the dining room service was slow and disjointed. We decided to just go early, and be able to plan our evening. For our upcoming cruise we figured why not just do early seating.

On both cruises we asked to be switched to early seating when we realized the problem (for us) with any time but they could not accommodate the change.

I personally like to eat dinner early - earlier than 6, even. 5:45 is a little better than 6, so I like it more.

But that's not the primary reason why I will always choose YTD when it's available to me. With YTD, I can show up and get a table just for me. With traditional dining, there's about zero chance I would get a table for one. Instead I would be stuck dining with whomever the maitre d' assumes is most compatible with me. No thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up contacting Carnival for their suggestion. I ended up with the later seating. And they're going to talk to the Maitre 'D to see if we can get them all together. I'm supposed to check with him when we board to see what he could do, and if he couldn't help, maybe he could for most diners, etc...

We go to dinner at 5:45pm each day. We have your time dining because we can always sit at a table for two. We were often denied our request for a table for two in traditional dining.

• 3 months later...