Fly in the Day of Cruise?

We always fly in at least two days early. We get to spend time sightseeing in the port city and we don't have to worry about flying in the day of the cruise, being delayed and possibly missing the ship. In all of our cruises, we have only flown in the day of the cruise one time. It was my first cruise, I had won it through my employer and I didn't make any of the arrangements for the trip. It was all done for us.

A week ago we sat in an airport for an unplanned 8 hours because the plane had a "bad battery"...........:rolleyes: (no cruise involved). It doesn't have to be weather.

Those who say they've flown in the day of many times, great. Probably 99% of the time that works fine.

We can get the time off work and enjoy a night or two before the cruise in Miami, FLL, wherever. Because of that and not wanting to risk airline delays for whatever reason, we almost always fly down 2 nights prior.

Every thread on this subject is identical: Lots of people say it's fine to fly in the day of the cruise. Lots of people say they'd never do that. In the end it's simply a personal choice depending on time off work, cost, and how much you want to mitigate possible risk from airline delays. You'll find plenty of comments here to support whatever decision you make.

Edited by bouhunter

Thank you! You all have confirmed what I already knew!

I've done both -- flown in the same day of cruise and gone in a day early so my inclination was to fly in the day before. I've experienced enough flight delays on other trips so anything could go wrong. I guess I was trying to keep the cost down and these Fort Lauderdale hotels are expensive in March. Looking for one that will at least provide transportation to the port. Any suggestions?

Depends on where you're coming from of course but I NEVER fly the day of. Imagine sitting on your plane, all excited about your cruise when you hear that there will be a delay due to mechanical issues or a storm will delay you. You're going to be kicking yourself.

Look, the only extra cost to flying in a day early will be a hotel and a couple meals. Spring for it and relax and enjoy your cruise.

I embarked on the Explorer on October 23 from Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ). On October 26 our first port of call was Bermuda. Three new people showed up at our table in the dining room. They had flown in the day of the cruise and MISSED THE SHIP.

No bad weather; just bad luck.

Do what you wish, OP. No way would I fly in the day of the cruise unless there was ABSOLUTELY no way that I could avoid it and I HAD TO take THAT VERY CRUISE. And had bought travel insurance out the wazoo. And still didn't care if I missed the first two or three days of my cruise. And yours is a seven night cruise.

To me: that's a risk not worth taking.

MID MARCH????? Even worse odds.

JMO

YMMV

I have been on around 15 cruises. The first 14 I flew in the day of the cruise (from Kansas) and always made my sailing. With that said, I had two close calls due to weather and it makes for a highly stressful day. My wife and I were literally the last two to get on the ship on one sailing and I did not think we were going to make it. The last cruise we went on was last May. We flew in the day before and slept in the morning of our our sailing. We had a nice breakfast, went to the liquor store to buy two bottles of wine and we boarded the ship by noon. It was easy and a much more relaxing day. I am now sold on flying in the day before. So more than likely you will be fine flying in the day of your sailing, but I am just not sure it is worth it honestly. Just my $.02

Depends on where you're coming from of course but I NEVER fly the day of. Imagine sitting on your plane, all excited about your cruise when you hear that there will be a delay due to mechanical issues or a storm will delay you. You're going to be kicking yourself.

Look, the only extra cost to flying in a day early will be a hotel and a couple meals. Spring for it and relax and enjoy your cruise.

Where the possibility exists to have an additional day off work the day before the cruise - I agree 100%.

Believe me, I used to be of the mindset I would "never" fly in the day of a cruise... but when that is the ONLY option - it becomes a personal risk choice. People who say they would "never" fly in the day of the cruise likely don't really HAVE to - or else they would not be cruisers :)

I know it is easy to say since we are retired and really have no schedule. But trust me when I tell you, you don't want to do it if it is at all possible. All it takes is one delayed flight and what was an exciting cruise just got very challenging and stressful. I realize that not everyone can do it but if at all possible, I'd fly in at least one day early.

Cheers, Kenn

We cruise about once a year, maybe twice. We almost always fly in the day of the cruise when leaving from the East Coast. Why? Since we would have to pay for a hotel, food and transport. Over time we would have spent as much as on a cruise.

Cruising with folks who may never cruise again, we fly in the day before.

There are too many variables with flying in the day of. Weather, mechanical issues, other delays.....

I look at it like this... I just spent allot of money on airline tix, cruise tix....what is another 150 bux to ensure I will make the cruise and not miss due the other variables by flying in the day before and getting a hotel and especially starting the vaca one day early....;)

We've flown day of & were nervous all during the flight(s). Then we flew a day or two earlier, hmm, no stress, start vacation earlier...no brainier for us, we fly in early & relax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Way back, when the cruise lines included the flight and booked it for you, and met you at the airport, and drove you to the port, then yes.

Today, would never fly in the day the ship leaves.

Edited by m*u*g*

I see that a lot of the folks here are recommendinging flying in the day before in the event of a flight cancelation/delay. While I agree with them on that, I would suggest flying in the day early if possible for a different reason. It allows you to get the stressful part of the trip out of the way and give you a chance to unwind a bit before the day you board. We flew in the day of for the first cruise we went on. We were exhausted from having to get up at 4am to make it to the airport on time. We ended up calling it an early night on the first night of the cruise. On our next cruise we plan on flying in the day before, watching the Oasis leave port, get some last minute shopping done for the 10 things we probably forgot to pack, and then just relax for the rest of the night.

If you have the time available to fly int he day before I would highly suggest doing it. It will relieve a ton of stress, and let you start your vacation that much earlier.

Way back, when the cruise lines included the flight and booked it for you, and met you at the airport, and drove you to the port, then yes.

Today, would never fly in the day the ship leaves.

The will still do that for you for a price ;)

Each person needs to take into consideration their personal travel situation based on many factors...what works for you may not for them on any given trip.

Just booked March 15 sailing on Allure. Purchased Cruisecare. Planning to buy airline tickets through ChoiceAir since the insurance covers cruise and airline ticket. Am I safe to fly in the same day of sailing on March 15 with being covered through Cruisecare?

Well, financially you are safe and that's a good thing; however, flying in the day of the cruise is NOT recommended because many things can go wrong. You run the risk of missing your cruise and the emotional toll it will take after many months of planning and excitement. If you can only fly out on the day of departure you just need to understand the risk by doing so. Flying on down to the next port may NOT necessarily be an option. Here is a link to a Princess cruise passenger who couldn't make her cruise because of weather and flight cancellation. It's a sad story.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118691

On our first cruise we flew in the day of departure. We get on the ship wearing our turtlenecks, jeans, boots, and coats at around 2:30 and see all these people in the hot tubs, pools, at the bars...already enjoying their vacation. Never again.

If possible; fly in the day before, get a good nights rest, get to the port bright and early, board as early as possible, and start squeezing every hard earned minute out of your vacation:D

And for some, a missed (possibly unpaid) day at work.

I know people do it all the time, but I know I would be way too stressed to fly in the same day.

I'm so freaked out about our mid-January cruise (we fly from O'Hare), that not only are we flying out a day ahead, we're also staying at the Hilton located in the airport the night before our 6am flight. :eek:

Even minor snowfall that wouldn't cancel flights can cause delays on the roads.

I once allowed three days to get to a October wedding in New Orleans, and still didn't make it.

Lesson One: make sure your airline has agreements/partners with another major carrier. I used America West and when a sand storm killed our plane in connecting city of Phoenix, we could not get transferred to an alternative line.

Lesson Two: make sure you don't have the last flight of the day.

and to the bride--don't schedule your giant family wedding the same weekend as a humungous convention!