Café Selects Coffee Card

cruiseJMO

Café Selects Coffee Card

Can this be purchased using OBC? If so, do I have to wait until I'm on board to use the OBC to purchase it?

Can it be used for alcoholic coffee drinks? I know it's 2 punches on another cruise line. I've never been on Princess before.

Yes, it can be purchased with your OBC, as its charged to your general account and your OBCs are a credit against that, and I believe that you'd have to wait till you're onboard to use your OBCs for anything.

No hooch AFAIK. But I could be wrong on that one.

The card is available for purchase on the ship? It's not something I have to purchase in advance, is it?

You can easily buy one at the International Café or the Main Dining Room: Princess will, as usual, be happy to take your money. I believe you get a slight discount for pre-purchasing.

Edited by shepp

The card is available for purchase on the ship? It's not something I have to purchase in advance, is it?
There are many places onboard to buy the coffee card on embarkation day. However, there is a slight discount if bought in advance. It's $31 if preordered or $33.35 if bought onboard. Price onboard is only $29 but a 15% gratuity is added onboard but not on line. This only applies to the coffee card as the two soda packages and the beverage package are the same price with gratuity added whether you buy in advance or onboard.

You can only use the OBC once you are onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There are many places onboard to buy the coffee card on embarkation day. However, there is a slight discount if bought in advance. It's $31 if preordered or $33.35 if bought onboard. Price onboard is only $29 but a 15% gratuity is added onboard but not on line. This only applies to the coffee card as the two soda packages and the beverage package are the same price with gratuity added whether you buy in advance or onboard.

Wow! So clear, one might think u work at Princess. Thank u so much!

No alcohol. It can be used for brewed and specialty coffee and tea.

Can also be used for purchases of gelato treats and hot chocolate. Maybe that's not the case on all ships, but it was on the Regal Princess which I just completed a cruise on.

Can also be used for purchases of gelato treats and hot chocolate. Maybe that's not the case on all ships, but it was on the Regal Princess which I just completed a cruise on.
Thanks. Forgot about gelato (never had it and only a very few ships offer it) and hot chocolate, something else I don't get. :)

My understanding was that the punches could be used for gelatto only on the Royal and Regal. The specialty teas and hot chocolate are free with a card on the voyage you purchase it. They don't take a punch for them.

As to one of the original questions, you could use your coffee card to order a cappuccino and your cruise card to buy a shot of liquor to add to it. That would probably work out cheaper than ordering an alcoholic coffee drink.

How many scoops of gelato do you get for 1 punch in your card?
As far as I know, the coffee card can only be used to buy gelato at Gelato on the Royal and the Regal. At Gelato on the Royal and the Regal you get 3 scoops for one punch or $3.17 with gratuity but it comes with toppings of your choice so it really is a sundae. There are also several sundaes on the menu for $3.17. Gelato also has several alcoholic ice cream items that I believe cost $5.22 with gratuity that are available for two punches.

The Crown, Emerald and Ruby also have gelato, but at the International Cafe. The ICs on other ships were added afterwards and they do not have gelato. On those three ships you get 3 scoops of gelato without toppings for $1.73 with gratuity. One punch of a coffee card costs $2.06 if bought in advance or $2.22 if purchased on board. It would not be a good deal to use the coffee cards on those ships even if you had that option because you would be paying $0.33 to $0.49 more than actual cost for the gelato.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As to one of the original questions, you could use your coffee card to order a cappuccino and your cruise card to buy a shot of liquor to add to it. That would probably work out cheaper than ordering an alcoholic coffee drink.

Good idea. [emoji5]

When you get on board and purchase the coffee card it is charged to your cruise account. So it will reduce your OBC by that cost.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska

Island Princess (B2B) 2009 Alaska

Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess 2012 Alaska

Island Princess 2013 Alaska

Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 New England

Future Cruises

Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean

Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

As far as I know, the coffee card can only be used to buy gelato at Gelato on the Royal and the Regal. At Gelato on the Royal and the Regal you get 3 scoops for one punch or $3.17 with gratuity but it comes with toppings of your choice so it really is a sundae. There are also several sundaes on the menu for $3.17. Gelato also has several alcoholic ice cream items that I believe cost $5.22 with gratuity that are available for two punches.

The Crown, Emerald and Ruby also have gelato, but at the International Cafe. The ICs on other ships were added afterwards and they do not have gelato. On those three ships you get 3 scoops of gelato without toppings for $1.73 with gratuity. One punch of a coffee card costs $2.06 if bought in advance or $2.22 if purchased on board. It would not be a good deal to use the coffee cards on those ships even if you had that option because you would be paying $0.33 to $0.49 more than actual cost for the gelato.

I'd love to pack you & take you everywhere with me as my personal financial advisor.

In relation to the Coffee Card I don't know about Gelato but I do know from personal experience that they do not punch your card for a hot chocolate - hot chocolate (which is a great drink with great cream on top) is therefore complimentary if you have a coffee card.

Thanks. It's for the Regal, so 3 scoops for a punch.

But if you pre-purchase, you'll pay sales tax. So price works out to be the same, or even a little cheaper on board as long as you wait till the ship actually sails out of port.

Agree with the previous post. Wait until the ship has sailed. I bought my coffee card soon after I got on the ship on my last cruise and was charged sales tax.

Also, regarding the coffee mug someone mentioned earlier. The coffee mug is an extra cost, not free with purchase of a card. The cost of the mug is reduced if you buy a card but its still an extra expense, and I wasn't impressed with the quality.

I think the mug was included years go but not any more.

I have pre purchased quite a few items and have never been charged sales tax. But maybe it depends where you live? Florida is charging taxes on cruise ships now when in port so maybe you get charged sales tax on pre purchases if you live in Florida?

Terry

But if you pre-purchase, you'll pay sales tax. So price works out to be the same, or even a little cheaper on board as long as you wait till the ship actually sails out of port.
As far as I know, there is no sales tax on pre purchases. DW got a $3 discount on a mug when she purchased a Coffee Card in the Spring of 2013.

Edited by IECalCruiser