Pre cruise hotel through NCL

New2cruise1483

Has anybody went through NCL to book there pre cruise hotel? I've been looking for hotels in Seattle for our Alaska cruise next May, and seen on NCL's website they use the Crown Plaza. There was quite a bit of price difference booking with NCl versus directly through the hotel. I was just wondering what kind of experience people had booking their hotel through NCL.

I have booked on my own and through NCL. We stayed at the Crown Plaza in Seattle prior to the cruise. We were pleastly surprised with the quality of the hotel. It's a great location for seeing sites on foot the day prior. Of couse booking through NCL it includes your transfer to the ship. The hotel/NCL were very organized. The morning of your cruise you leave your bags inside your room and the bellman pick it up. This gave us the freedom to walk down to the Pikes Place market for breakfast prior to hotel pick up.

We had considered staying at the Marriott just across the street from the pier but it was a better value with the Crown Plaza and a shorter walk around the city too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Has anybody went through NCL to book there pre cruise hotel? I've been looking for hotels in Seattle for our Alaska cruise next May, and seen on NCL's website they use the Crown Plaza. There was quite a bit of price difference booking with NCl versus directly through the hotel. I was just wondering what kind of experience people had booking their hotel through NCL.

It's easy enough to check what the hotel rates would be if you made the reservation yourself, and compare with what NCL is charging.

As mentioned, don't forget to include in the calculations whether the NCL costs are per person, vs. your own reservation being per room (with 2 or more in the room, usually with little or no extra charge, depending upon whether it is 2 or more than 2 sharing).

To figure out the best price (at any point in time, because costs can change), you can check the price on the hotel website, or compare with some of the more general travel sites.

And then there are often "special deals" if you purchase a non-refundable reservation, but that is what it states: NON-refundable. (If you have travel insurance, just add this in, and you are fine.)

But if you make a reservation you can cancel without penalty, you still have a lot of flexibility as you make additional plans.

Or ask a travel agent to get you a quote.

Now, for NCL, there might be a few perks (included or at extra charge), such as pre-arranged transfers from airport to hotel, from hotel to ship, extra help with luggage, etc.

So also figure how much taxi fare or shared shuttles would be, plus some tips for bellman assistance with luggage, etc.

If you aren't comfortable making these arrangements on your own, then using NCL might be preferable, but just make sure you understand IF it is costing you more, and... how much in total.

We prefer to arrange our own taxi, rather than wait for "everyone to load up on a big bus", etc.

Also, sometimes there are better hotel choices - nicer, better location, and/or less expensive - if you find something on your own.

GeezerCouple

We stayed there about 16 months ago prior to our Alaska cruise. Nice hotel and decent dining room. There is also someone stationed near the front desk to help you find things to do and make reservations for you at restaurants in the area. She was very helpful. The advantage of not dealing with your luggage and having transfer to the cruise terminal is nice but when we went back 3 months ago, again to Alaska, we stayed at the Edgewater and their staff walked our bags over for us. Plus we did not have to deal with the crowds waiting for NCL bus transfer. A lot of people on here have discussed using the Marriott and seemed very satisfied. But both of these hotels could be a bit pricier. Like the former poster said, your hotel is charged per person so our room rate for the Crowne Plaza was about $300 for the one night. The other thing about the Marriott is you are down near the water and don't need to climb up those very steep hills back to the hotel. They are a killer! 😱

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers prior to our recent cruise out of Copenhagen on the Star. Hotels are expensive in Copenhagen and we could have found a cheaper hotel, but booking with NCL had the added benefits of free breakfasts and free transportation to the port (as well as a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel).

The hotel was nice and the restaurant was excellent. NCL filled up four buses when it came time to go to the ship.

We like arranging our own hotel and transfers to the ship when the airport, hotel, and cruise terminal are in the same city. We like saving money and are able to manage the luggage. I wouldn't have peace-of-mind, if I left my luggage in the room for the bellman to get it to the proper place on time.

When we went to London for 3 days prior to the cruise of the British Isles on NCL Crown, we made our own arrangements for hotel and transfers. However, we did use NCL transfer from the airport to the cruise terminal in Dover.

Thanks for the helpful replies everybody! I didn't notice that the charge was per person on the NCL site, but will definately double check that. Iwant to get two rooms, one for bf and I, and a seperate one for my dad. I thought the price on NCL looked cheap compared to booking directly through the hotel lol.

We wanted NCL to do the airport to hotel, hotel, and next day hotel to ship shuttle. Flying in directly to Venice from NYC overnight we were very happy to see someone with our name on a card at 10:30 AM. Did not have to think, checked in and fell asleep. We probably paid more this way, but the peace of mind was worth it.

• 6 months later...

I know this is a little old but it was on a topic I have been researching. I did book the Crowne Plaza through NCL. It was actually cheaper than booking the hotel directly. Now NCL told me they do not have any transfers to the hotel I have to do that on my own...they only do them from the hotel to port. Does anyone know who they use? What time will they take us to the port? I am planning on using shuttle express to get to the hotel...though I thought it was strange that booking a hotel directly through NCL they didn't offer a transfer from the airport to the hotel.

I don't remember the name of the transport company, but they picked up about 20 people at the hotel at 11 AM and then we got in line at the port before they even started embarking people.

• Like 1

We booked our hotel through NCL for our Mediterranean trip. We did it because simply because were totally unfamiliar with Rome. It was good and the price which included transfer to and from the pier was in line ,if not better, than private transportation .We stayed at a Crowne Plaza also .It too provided breakfast, taxes, fees . I would have liked a more central location but definitely not a deal breaker .Independent transportation was needed from the airport to the hotel. We were happy with what NCL provided . In the US we do our own thing but I would not hesitate to book through them.

I know this is a little old but it was on a topic I have been researching. I did book the Crowne Plaza through NCL. It was actually cheaper than booking the hotel directly. Now NCL told me they do not have any transfers to the hotel I have to do that on my own...they only do them from the hotel to port. Does anyone know who they use? What time will they take us to the port? I am planning on using shuttle express to get to the hotel...though I thought it was strange that booking a hotel directly through NCL they didn't offer a transfer from the airport to the hotel.

The airport is a good 45 min. drive from downtown Seattle, which is why they probably don't provide service from airport to hotel. With everyone arriving at different times, there would ALWAYS be someone on the road to provide transportation.

We used a shuttle service from Sea-Tac to downtown called Shuttle Express and I remember it being very reasonable.

We booked a pre-cruise hotel in New Orleans a couple years ago. They included the transfer to pier in the morning. It was a full size bus and we pulled our luggage to the curb. And it was a per person cost which puts it about double what you can get yourself. Figure in the transfer and decide if it is worth it.

Our next three cruises I checked with NCL and each time the price was about double what I could get it at. In Miami we booked a transfer shuttle with the hotel and in Copenhagen we got a taxi. Even with taxis and shuttles we saved significantly by booking ourselves. You pay greatly for the convenience.

We booked a pre-cruise hotel in New Orleans a couple years ago. They included the transfer to pier in the morning. It was a full size bus and we pulled our luggage to the curb. And it was a per person cost which puts it about double what you can get yourself. Figure in the transfer and decide if it is worth it.

Our next three cruises I checked with NCL and each time the price was about double what I could get it at. In Miami we booked a transfer shuttle with the hotel and in Copenhagen we got a taxi. Even with taxis and shuttles we saved significantly by booking ourselves. You pay greatly for the convenience.

Yep I am saving over $100 by booking with NCL. I was surprised, but it works for me. I did lots of comparisons and quoting of many hotels and this is just the best deal for the location this time around.

Yep I am saving over $100 by booking with NCL. I was surprised, but it works for me. I did lots of comparisons and quoting of many hotels and this is just the best deal for the location this time around.

NCL has contracted rates with the hotels and you would pay that same amount if it was winter or summer. Since you are going to Seattle during the high season, it stands to reason that NCL's contracted price would be less expensive than what the hotels are charging. Enjoy your time in Seattle. We had a great time on our pre-cruise day :)

We booked our precruise hotel through NCL for Alaska & stayed in the Crowne Plaza in Seattle. We were very pleased. The hotel was very nice & the restaurant food was very good. I would definitely stay there again & was pleased with the rate NCL gave us. It was nice not to have to worry about handling our luggage to the pier.