New Port Everglades Season - Changes?

sail7seas

Someone asked me today if it is true that:

No taxis are being permitted to bring guests to the ships in Port Everglades?

I cannot imagine that can be accurate but for anyone who has been to Port Everglades, please confirm this isn't true.

Also, Some are asking if HAL still offers Mariners Embarkation Lunch? I know it was offered all spring, summer, fall but it possible now that many ships have returned to Port Everglades that has been discontinued?

Again, I am hugely doubtful but anyone who has sailed in the last few weeks, would you confirm it is still offered?

Thanks. :)

It sounds like that someone has been drinking. I'm sure folks would have been up in arms by now if no taxis could get into port Everglades. I'll be able to tell you on Sunday. I have a hal transfer but I'll likely cab it to the port. I will also be going to the embarkation lunch if I'm there in time. Hate the lido.

Edited by cruz chic

It sounds like that someone has been drinking. I'm sure folks would have been up in arms by now if no taxis could get into port Everglades. I'll be able to tell you on Sunday. I have a hal transfer but I'll likely cab it to the port. I will also be going to the embarkation lunch if I'm there in time. Hate the lido.

What I answered was we surely would have heard about both were they true. :D

Not only would the passengers be up in arms but the taxi drivers as well. :eek:

Travel safely to FLL and have a great cruise. :)

Edited by sail7seas

What I answered was we surely would have heard about both were they true. :D

Not only would the passengers be up in arms but the taxi drivers as well. :eek:

Travel safely to FLL and have a great cruise. :)

Thank you. Done with work, now just the last minute packing and clean the condo. If the plane isn't frozen to the ground I'll be out of here at 6am Friday :eek:.

From Portevergades.net. (The bolding is mine)

cruising

Port Everglades, located in Greater Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Florida, already has more homeported cruise ships than any port worldwide. Check out our 2014 Cruise Guide to learn more about cruising from Port Everglades.

quick facts

Parking is $15 daily

Closest airport - Fort Lauderale-Hollywood International (FLL)

Taxis, vans and shuttle buses are available

I-595 goes directly into Port Everglades

Have your cruise tickets and photo ID (driver's license or passport) handy when arriving to the Port

No weapons permitted

Check with your cruise line for lost luggage or other items

People picking up cruise passengers on the weekend can wait for free in our cell phone lot until the passengers leave the ship and are ready to be picked up

I cannot imagine that can be accurate but for anyone who has been to Port Everglades, please confirm this isn't true.

Also, Some are asking if HAL still offers Mariners Embarkation Lunch? I know it was offered all spring, summer, fall but it possible now that many ships have returned to Port Everglades that has been discontinued?

Again, I am hugely doubtful but anyone who has sailed in the last few weeks, would you confirm it is still offered?

Two weeks ago - taxis as usual, although construction has rerouted some traffic. Mariner embarkation lunch onboard as usual.

DaveOKC

Whether it's called the Mariners Embarkation Lunch or not, I am sure that the MDR will be open for lunch on embarkation day as it is with most other cruise lines. And the fact that they might open it to all passengers will not necessarily caused more people to head there for lunch. We have been to a few lunches in the MDR on embarking with Princess and the MDR is mostly empty.

Lots of taxis in the port. We disembarked the Noordam from the TA. US Immigration was painful. They had to suspend disembarkation for about an hour. I suspect some people were very tight on their flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got off 2-weeks on Westerdam last Saturday November 8, 2014.

Yes--used taxi from port to airport

Yes--enjoyed Mariner embarcation lunch on Saturday November 1 , 2014

Someone just trying to stir pot.

Judy

I am that "someone," and was neither pot-stirring nor attention-seeking. We haven't sailed from Port Everglades for a couple of years when taxis and Embarkation Lunch were of course on offer. Our TA informed us, emphatically, that this was the case no longer. I was incredulous and asked Judy to confirm--as she has graciously done, along with many of you helpful cruisers, that his information is false.

He also emphasized that the dress code is two formal, two informal, and three casual nights for a seven night cruise, which had always been our happy experience. Misinformation again, I find, but a code that we shall continue to observe.

Shall have a word with TA.

He also emphasized that the dress code is two formal, two informal, and three casual nights for a seven night cruise, which had always been our happy experience.

WOW - "informal" (aka semi-formal) has been gone for years! I'd be very leery of anything else he said! Edited by jtl513

You may want to consider a different TA.

HAL has converted to only formal and smart casual dress for dinner. For a 7-day cruise you may have 1 or 2 formal nights and the rest smart casual. 'Informal' dress has been gone for a while but on smart casual nights, dress up as much as you want.

I am that "someone," and was neither pot-stirring nor attention-seeking. We haven't sailed from Port Everglades for a couple of years when taxis and Embarkation Lunch were of course on offer. Our TA informed us, emphatically, that this was the case no longer. I was incredulous and asked Judy to confirm--as she has graciously done, along with many of you helpful cruisers, that his information is false.

He also emphasized that the dress code is two formal, two informal, and three casual nights for a seven night cruise, which had always been our happy experience. Misinformation again, I find, but a code that we shall continue to observe.

Shall have a word with TA.

And that word should definitely be ... goodbye!