Another example of why you shouldn't book an early flight

Wj420

I don't understand why anyone would want to rush back from their holiday like that?

Personally I'd always look to spend a night or two post-cruise to finish off nicely. Mind you, I'm in the UK so I'm more likely to be flying to places like Rome, Venice, or Barcelona to join/leave a cruise. I'm not sure how Americans feel about Ft. Lauderdale as a place to explore?

Just docking in ft lauderdale, at 6:40am after a wonderful trans on board the silhouette. The stress for the early flight passengers is an unnecessary stress after a fabulous holiday.

Perhaps an early flight was all they could get in order to get home today (Sunday). After this fabulous holiday some people may need to get back to work on Monday so they can pay for their next fabulous holiday.;)

I don't understand why anyone would want to rush back from their holiday like that?

Personally I'd always look to spend a night or two post-cruise to finish off nicely. Mind you, I'm in the UK so I'm more likely to be flying to places like Rome, Venice, or Barcelona to join/leave a cruise. I'm not sure how Americans feel about Ft. Lauderdale as a place to explore?

Sure, southeastern Florida is a wonderful place to explore, lots to see and do with Miami, Ft Lauderdale,the Keys, the Everglades...... But I agree that many folks will have to be back to work on Monday. Personally, I like a cruise that ends on a Saturday so we have some time to unwind, but that's not always possible.

Last time I spent any length of time in Ft Lauderdale was 1982 for Spring Break. No desire to spend anytime there now after a cruise. I can deal with a few hours in the airport but really want to get home by that point. We don't book a flight before 2:00pm. Since we are flying back to New York we have a larger choice of flights. Others who live in other parts of the country may not have a choice.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Perhaps an early flight was all they could get in order to get home today (Sunday). After this fabulous holiday some people may need to get back to work on Monday so they can pay for their next fabulous holiday.;)

But on the other hand, if they miss that way too early flight, they're going to miss that day of work anyway.

We don't have a choice. It depends on our origin, our destination, and the time zones. We often have one, sometimes 2 connections.

Taking an early connection can sometimes mean the difference between arriving home the same day, or the next day (with overnight stopover). For trips outside NA, air fares and carriers also come into play for us.

By the end of our fabulous vacation we're ready to go home. We try to book things before the cruise. For instance, before our British Isles cruise this year, we spent 3 days in Paris and another 5 in London. Added to the cruise, we had a fabulous vacation. Booked our flight for 11:30. Made the flight, and got home before dark. Win-win!

Judy

We don't have a choice. It depends on our origin, our destination, and the time zones. We often have one, sometimes 2 connections.

Taking an early connection can sometimes mean the difference between arriving home the same day, or the next day (with overnight stopover). For trips outside NA, air fares and carriers also come into play for us.

I totally agree. I think just most people would love to take a day or two after the cruise to chill-lax after a wonderful holiday, but then life gets in the way. Work, kids, pets, & commitments.

I know for me by about the last day of any cruise, my mind is already told me, vacation over time to get home, so I'm ready to go, so if I can grab an early flight even the better. Since usually if I get home earlier in the day, its one less day the dogs stay at the kennel

I wonder how many people on the Eclipse crossing will be worrying over their flights. I read that the ship will be arriving in NY a day late due to the itinerary change caused by weather conditions. Could cause a few problems I should think.

I wonder how many people on the Eclipse crossing will be worrying over their flights. I read that the ship will be arriving in NY a day late due to the itinerary change caused by weather conditions. Could cause a few problems I should think.

But, that is not the end of the cruise; it is only a stop on the way to Miami, where they expect to arrive on time.

Just docking in ft lauderdale, at 6:40am after a wonderful trans on board the silhouette. The stress for the early flight passengers is an unnecessary stress after a fabulous holiday.

I really don't understand your post. Are you seeing stressed passengers in the hallways? How do you know they are stressed over early flights?

What time did they start letting people off?

Plus, a TA is known to have a later clearing time and therefore early flights are not recommended.

Most people (admittedly not all) do have choices about what time to book their flights. Some are constrained by less serviced locations with multiple connections, or full flights due to booking the cruise late. Unfortunately, often the later flights are significantly more expensive than the earlier flights (and by that I mean several hundred $$ per person). For some that price differential may be the difference between being able to take that cruise or not. I personally do not recommend an early flight unless there are truly no other viable options. We have had disembarkation delays on two of our 30ish cruises (9:30 am or later, both in US ports) which I'm sure caused many of those early flyers to miss their flights.

What really bugs me is people who are driving who clog up the early disembarkation just because they want to hit the road quickly. Unless you have a real need to do that (and I would guess 95% of the time you don't) for heavens sake have some consideration for people who really needed to book those early flights for whatever reason. We are already so jealous of you because you don't need to incur the additional cost and hassle of flying in today's world:D

We always try and get an early flight back after a cruise.

The reasons are simple, my wife and I still work and the earlier we get home we can get unpacked & take care of the laundry and get ready for work the next day.

Perhaps if we were retired we would do it differently but that's our thought process now.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For me it's simple, there is usually only one direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale to my home (Ottawa) and from year to year the time changes. Unless the return flight is before 11:00 AM that's the flight I will book (this year it's at 7:00 PM). I'll put up with rushing in the morning after a nice cruise in order to avoid connecting flights and long layovers in airports.

And as far as the OP saying people are stressing over their early flights, many people stress at the end of a cruise because a fantastic holiday has just ended and they aren't looking forward to the Planes, Trains and Automobiles trip home (IMHO).

Most people (admittedly not all) do have choices about what time to book their flights. Some are constrained by less serviced locations with multiple connections, or full flights due to booking the cruise late. Unfortunately, often the later flights are significantly more expensive than the earlier flights (and by that I mean several hundred $$ per person). For some that price differential may be the difference between being able to take that cruise or not. I personally do not recommend an early flight unless there are truly no other viable options. We have had disembarkation delays on two of our 30ish cruises (9:30 am or later, both in US ports) which I'm sure caused many of those early flyers to miss their flights.

What really bugs me is people who are driving who clog up the early disembarkation just because they want to hit the road quickly. Unless you have a real need to do that (and I would guess 95% of the time you don't) for heavens sake have some consideration for people who really needed to book those early flights for whatever reason. We are already so jealous of you because you don't need to incur the additional cost and hassle of flying in today's world:D

I must admit to be a driver who clogged up early disembarkation a couple of times. But my commute home is about 1,500 miles.:eek:

I hope I'm in your 5%.:)

I really don't understand your post. Are you seeing stressed passengers in the hallways? How do you know they are stressed over early flights?

What time did they start letting people off?

Plus, a TA is known to have a later clearing time and therefore early flights are not recommended.

I don't understand either. Are they docking later than planned?

Perhaps disembarkation times should be given out for Early Disembarkation, as well.;) The process has become more popular.

I agree about the drivers that live nearby. Florida (or other state residents of a port) should be given a bit later assignment and let those off first that need to catch a plane. However, I do understand that some ships disembark on a week day and that many residents return to work the same day. So, therefore, they need to get off the ship earlier.:rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Well, I live in Fort Lauderdale and once nearly missed a dr appt at 11 after disembarking Princess self-disembarkation in Port Everglades, so even locals may need early disembarkation at times.

Wouldn't it be much easier to reschedule that appointment than to deal with the stress of having to rush to make it? :confused:

Edited by fortinweb

Sure, southeastern Florida is a wonderful place to explore, lots to see and do with Miami, Ft Lauderdale,the Keys, the Everglades...... But I agree that many folks will have to be back to work on Monday. Personally, I like a cruise that ends on a Saturday so we have some time to unwind, but that's not always possible.

Why note just take one extra day off and take the time to enjoy holiday? I heard from some folks living in the US that annual leave is a little stingy over there? Average in the UK is about 5-6 paid weeks per year - is it much worse in the US?