Just off Oasis....it's going to China

The problem is that the walls of the locks are 180 ft. apart, and when they pump the water out to lower a ship, the beam at the waterline isn't the determining factor, it's the width of the ship 30-40 ft. above the waterline. On Oasis, the widest part is probably the lifeboats four-five decks up from the waterline;)

Sounds legit to me!

The problem is that the walls of the locks are 180 ft. apart, and when they pump the water out to lower a ship, the beam at the waterline isn't the determining factor, it's the width of the ship 30-40 ft. above the waterline. On Oasis, the widest part is probably the lifeboats four-five decks up from the waterline;)

I'm not sure of the specs, but are the lifeboats really wider than the bridge wings?

Beam: 47 m (154 ft) waterline[8]

60.5 m (198 ft) max beam[8]

Having said that, would you try bring this $1.4 billion dollar ship through and "chance" getting caught in the 42 foot depth of the new canal? ;)

DSC02082_zps14192826.jpg

DSC02138_zps191ffa4f.jpg

C R U N C H !!!! :eek::p

Those sponsons may well be more problematic than the height issue. I can't tell with any degree of accuracy how high above the water line they are (but they don't look high enough), in any event the beam of the ship needs to be 160' or under for the new locks. That would mean a beam of 160' or under at least 30' above the water. Since the ship isn't necessarily going to held in the center while the water is filling or spilling, contact on a fendered wall is anticipated in the new locks.

Maybe Royal has the Suez on speed dial!!

The 201' clearance is at max high water, the Canal already permits ships with 205' air draft to pass under the Bridge of Americas depending on the tide. Since the O and A boats can shrink down to clear the Great Belt Bridge that has 213' clearance, the BoA won't be a deal breaker. The tidal range is over 20' Balboa and the Canal is very lenient for granting waivers for a limited number of transits. The real question will be does Royal really want to take one of those ships on that route to head to Asia. They maybe inclined to send it via the Suez after a season in the Med.

213 ft is not 205 ft, and O&A barely clear at 213 ft - at speed - so you're at least eight feet short, and 205 ft is only allowed when the tide is down. The problem with using tides as an argument is that you can't lower the bottom of the channel. If it's 60 ft deep at high tide, it's only 40 ft deep at low tide, and no captain worth his salt would navigate a channel with less than 10 ft between his keel and solid ground - especially if he had to do it at a sufficient speed to create enough air draft to clear the bridge.

Edited by orville99

As I have stated before...they did not build a new multi million dollar terminal, dredge the channel for the largest ships and start the building of a new entertainment complex to have this now set empty for 3 years. Port Canaveral will be getting a new (er) RCCL ship soon. Count on it.

Rumors are that Freedom is going to San Juan, since she shows up on the St.Maarten port schedule on (every other) Sunday.

She would go past Somalia if she went round Africa
I disagree. If she went around Africa via the Cape of Good Hope into the Indian Ocean she'd be nowhere near Somalia. Now, via the Suez Canal into the Gulf of Aden and she'd pass right off the coast of Somalia.9f6873c09dcdcf5b6531f849f202a609.jpg Edited by peteukmcr

213 ft is not 205 ft, and O&A barely clear at 213 ft - at speed - so you're at least eight feet short, and 205 ft is only allowed when the tide is down. The problem with using tides as an argument is that you can't lower the bottom of the channel. If it's 60 ft deep at high tide, it's only 40 ft deep at low tide, and no captain worth his salt would navigate a channel with less than 10 ft between his keel and solid ground - especially if he had to do it at a sufficient speed to create enough air draft to clear the bridge.

The ship could not use the effects of squat to clear the BoA because in that portion of the Canal they would not be going above 6 knots. At that speed vessel squat is minimal and channel depth at any height of the tide is not an issue. Even before the Canal had been deepened to accommodate the post Panamax ships channel depth at low water at the Bridge was a minimum 45'. The draft of the Oasis is 31'... so plenty of room under the keel, they could even take on ballast to lessen the air draft if it was necessary.

Just an aside on the draft, the present maximum draft limit for the Canal is 39' 06'' (12.04m for the meter folks) which will be increased to 50' (15.24) when the expansion is complete. Ships with max draft of 39' 6'' passed through Gaillard Cut daily while the depth of the Cut was only 45'... considerably less than 10'.

All this makes for an interesting discussion based on a waiter:eek::D! I really think it is a moot point because I don't think either the O or A will head to the other side of the world via the Panama Canal. Now they could make some design changes in the Oasis 3 if they wanted a Panama option. I do think however there is a much better chance that Voyager/Freedom class may make an appearance at the new and improved Canal.

How is Quantum getting to China? I imagine that's the same way Oasis is getting there since Quantum is bigger than Oasis.

New Jersey to Barcelona through Suez Canal to Dubai to Singapore to Shanghai.

Just got off Oasis yesterday and I was told by our waiter that Oasis is going to China in March 2016. Not sure if this is known info but that I would post just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like I might have to change plans for my 35th anniversary cruise.

How is Quantum getting to China? I imagine that's the same way Oasis is getting there since Quantum is bigger than Oasis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting....While reading this good thread...the name'' Quantum'' kept coming up in my mind. Perhaps, we're all ( starting with the waiter !!!:D)confusing Quantum and Oasis..

RCL is sending Quantum in Asia sometimes late 2015. I seriously doubt that they would add another 6000++++ berths to their already raplidly expanding offering this soon thereafter.

My opinion: once #4 in the Oasis family is afloat and in service, by then, the initial reception from the Asian market to the then 2-3 years old huge expansion will dictate whether or not Oasis ( or Anthem) join them...or not...

IMO

Interesting....While reading this good thread...the name'' Quantum'' kept coming up in my mind. Perhaps, we're all ( starting with the waiter !!!:D)confusing Quantum and Oasis..

RCL is sending Quantum in Asia sometimes late 2015. I seriously doubt that they would add another 6000++++ berths to their already raplidly expanding offering this soon thereafter.

My opinion: once #4 in the Oasis family is afloat and in service, by then, the initial reception from the Asian market to the then 2-3 years old huge expansion will dictate whether or not Oasis ( or Anthem) join them...or not...

IMO

Multiple sources on our oasis TA all stated oasis 1 would go to China. Oasis 3 would replace that in ft lauderdale with oasis 4 going to PC. I don't the staff are confusing anything.

Oasis 4 is planned for 2018. I believe Royal has a long term contract with Port Everglades that requires two Oasis class ships there. Just a guess (was talking with our stateroom attendant last cruise) that when Oasis 3 goes to Port Everglades, Oasis goes to China.

The contract between RCCL and Port Everglades is a ten year contract to deliver 17 million passengers within that ten year period. That number includes passengers from cruise lines under all RCCL lines including Celebrity. They can move any ship in or out of FLL. Next month they will be half way through their contract.

The contract between RCCL and Port Everglades is a ten year contract to deliver 17 million passengers within that ten year period. That number includes passengers from cruise lines under all RCCL lines including Celebrity. They can move any ship in or out of FLL. Next month they will be half way through their contract.

Thanks, appreciate the details.

Why would private protection forces be needed if she were to go around Africa? More likely to need them if they go through the Suez Canal and through the gulf of Aden into the Arabian Sea.

And they do use them, or at least they did when we cruised through the Suez to Dubai last year.