Favorite requests of your room steward

Jessie2013

We're sailing on FOS next month with my in-laws, who have never taken a vacation like this before. I'm curious what are some of the favorite requests you make of your room steward that enhances your vacation?

I didn't realize at first that you could ask that the ice bucket always be kept full. It's now something I really appreciate! Of course, we always tip accordingly for any extra requests we make.

What's always nice is what you can do for him/her. Always put the "Room is ready to be cleaned" card in your key slot so they know when you're away and therefore won't disturb you if you're still in the cabin. And vice versa, the "do no disturb" sign if you don't want to be disturbed.

If I see them in the a.m. or the night before a port day, I will let them know if/when we have any excursions or leaving the ship. They do appreciate that as well.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!!

Our standard list is

Ice 2X daily

2 extra bath towels

Robes, if not there

Bathroom amenities, if not there. ( C&A benefit)

Extra tissue box ( for vanity)

sometimes more hangers.

I've rarely asked for anything special

enjoy

M

Other than the 2 extra towels always had all of those items.

We like a full ice bucket all the time. If possible, we want that ice bucket to be the big size--the size they use for champagne botles with ice. We also have asked for more hangers on longer cruises. We also ask for the strip of fabric at the foot of the bed covers to be removed and kept off the bed. When there were colored shams on the beds, we didn't want those either.

We try to be as pleasant as possible to the room stewards because we believe their work is strenuous and often not very pleasant. In all the cruises we have taken, we have had only one steward who was consistently unpleasant and acted inconvenienced by any small request. Many of the stewarts have been remarkable people that we genuinely enjoyed and they brightened our cruise.

I always ask for an egg crate on the bed & the ice bucket be kept full.

We try to be considerate & let our steward know when s/he can expect us to be out of the cabin. We also have gotten into the habit of checking to see if they are going to off the ship when in port. If they are, and we've been happy with the service, DH will frequently give them a $20 "for lunch".

Egg crate flam?! I really need to remember this as we have a memory foam at home and alwayss ins sleeping on holiday difficult.

Can anyone request his?

I've never had a problem getting one but they have a limited number so make the request as early as possible. We also have a memory foam & the egg crate makes the bed feel a bit more like home.

When we took our 4 older kids on their first cruise we asked our room steward to make a towel animal for each of them (and not make us one) and tipped him well for his time to do it.

The first night they just had one. My son's bed was the only bed that was neat. So, I told the girls that they didn't get one because the guy couldn't even FIND the bed. Well the next night we were just about ready to head to dinner and we checked to see why the girls were taking so long. They were cleaning the room! (Score)

He was a great room steward :)

We also request an egg crate - we do this prior to the cruise by sending an email to Special Needs department. Our daughter is disabled and the extra padding is required. We also request a shower chair. If you need anything "special" because of a medical need you need to send an email to make sure the needs are meet. We too ask for ice and extra towels :-) My hubby always gives an extra $20 the first day letting the steward know that we appreciate his hard work and attention (in advance). We don't keep a tight schedule because of our daughter so this often interferes with the cabin stewards duties, on late mornings we will just tell him to skip our cabin to so we don't hold him up from the rest of his morning. :D

In addition to ice and occasionally extra hangers, if we have a tub, we always ask for the tub mat... they can get pretty slippery and the sides of the tub are very high, getting in and out can get a little hairy with a slippery tub.

Taking the wee grandsons on a cruise and they will think they've hit the jackpot with that tub... like a swimming pool for them.:)