Is the poor maitre d open seating service we experienced on the Veendam normal?

TravelguruDanville

Hi All,

Just to bring closure to this thread, it's been three weeks, and I still haven't heard back from customer service at Holland America :eek:

Did you make a specific suggestion as to what you wished would come from your letter? Did you request a reply with any specifics as to what you thought appropriate?

I think it may have been that person on that ship. This summer on the Volendam we chose anytime dining. The first night we got there at 8PM and asked for and were given a table for two. We liked it so much that we asked for it for the rest of the cruise and it was reserved for us for all 7 nights.

The people at the table next to us did the same thing. One night they were late and after 15 minutes, the reserved sign was removed.

We did have to check in each night so they knew the table was occupied but they took us to it each night.

Hopping to do this again in two weeks.

We also encountered problems in the dining room on our recent Veendam voyage. After expressing our concerns to one of the dining room managers and seeing little change, we made comments on the end of cruise survey. We also voiced our concerns to our HAL TA when we returned home and she forwarded them to Guest Relations, who responded with an apology.

I encourage you to write to Guest Relations, to inform them, so changes can be made.

No.

It is just like poor MDR food, entertainment, service. It can occur on any ship, any line. Only the degree of frequency/infrequency changes.

I would give HAL the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Just put it down to that particular individual. Perhaps he was 'trying out' a new system of his. Who really knows.

IF we have mediocre service or food, etc on a ship we do not immediately cross that ship or that cruise line off our list. But...if the reports are consistent over a period of time it will not make the cut.

Edited by iancal

I am currently on the Veendam and was also on the ship in August. We are open seatings/two top. In August open seating was a mess at 5:30pm because of so many families that wanted to eat early. We did havde trouble getting a table for 4 the two nights we ate with friends, but prevailed.

It is the same hosts/manager as August. There does seem to be a rigidity in the system. I asked for a set table (which I know is possible) and even with my Neptune key card the answer was no. It was granted once I had our concierge intervene. One problem is I think they don't have enough staff to take you to the tables, so there is a bit of a backup after you check in. But they have a sticky note system that works. My sense from knowing these guys on 2 cruises is that they are trying to be fair in a situation where many want a favor. BTW our food has been excellent.

Hi All,

Just to bring closure to this thread, it's been three weeks, and I still haven't heard back from customer service at Holland America :eek:

HI Gail, because I work two full time jobs I do not get much of a chance to come into CC much any more but had some time this morning to catch up. First I want to say Welcome to the HAL board, next I want to say that waiting three weeks to hear from HAL's customer service is not unheard of and often times takes 6 weeks. Unfortunately the answer you may get may not make much sense mostly a slight apology with no real answer :o

From my experience and others that I have spoke to very recently that just got off HAL ships this is definitely not the normal. I just spoke with someone yesterday that had gotten off the Eurodam (sister ship to the Nieuw Amsterdam) a week ago and they had open and she (was traveling with her sister) talked about how fun it was meeting different people at dinner and they always asked for a big table. My only guess is that the Veendam was trying something new. HAL likes to frequently try different ways of doing things and the ships sailing on the West Coast are often called the Testerdam. Unfortunately what Seattle thinks is happening on the ships is not always the case. The person who received your letter or who will eventually read your letter will have not idea about this.

I see that you live on the West Coast and it makes perfect sense trying HAL's only ship out of San Diego was the best choice to see if you might like HAL but unfortunately the Veendam is nothing at all like the Nieuw Amsterdam. Personally if you did like most everything else about the Veendam I think you will love the Nieuw Amsterdam because it will be even better :) The Nieuw Amsterdam is the newest of HAL's fleet currently. If that 24 day itinerary is what you are looking for and the price is right I do think you will like it and I do believe if you do the open you will be able to be seated at a large table in order to meet other cruisers. HAL is aware that is how many people meet their fellow cruisers and I feel this was just one of those "Let's Try this weeks" from HAL's Management team on the Veendam.

On our recent Noordam cruise, we had Open Seating and were always asked either when we made reservations or when we walked in, if we would share a table. We did not wish to so easily got a table for two but we did eat early. I don't know if that makes a difference. Tables for 2 normally are at a premium so I would think there wouldn't be any available between 5:45 and 7:45 and they would gladly seat you with others.

Sounds strange to me what you experienced.

Sounds that way to me, too. We've had a more difficult time getting tables for two. Kind of glad to hear that as we'll be on the Veendam next year and I prefer the tables for two if I have a choice.

Hi All,

Eight to ten weeks has been my experience. Makes you wonder how many complaints the get that they are this far behind.

Also weighing in a bit late, but having been on the NA twice fairly recently, we had zero issue getting what we wanted in the dining room. For us, we prefer a table for two. When we arrived for open seating, we were generally asked if we preferred to dine the two of us or with a group. The odd time we were not asked, we specified and were seated according to our wish.

Caveat: we don't eat in the dining room every night and we usually eat at 'off-times' like early or late.

Sorry for the confusion...tried to be explicit!

We were on he open seating option and were traveling alone as a couple.

We have always experienced the option of joining others (our preference) or sitting alone. In fact usually they hoard the tables for two for those that want them which has never bothered us. To me one of the main reasons for open seating the the ability to meet different people each night.

We have always experienced the option of joining others (our preference) or sitting alone. In fact usually they hoard the tables for two for those that want them which has never bothered us. To me one of the main reasons for open seating the the ability to meet different people each night.

Whereas to others, the main reason for open seating is to pick your dining time or to eat when you are hungry.;)

My wife and I did the 17 day Panama Canal on the Veendam just last month and also had "dine as you wish" or open seating. The first few days my wife would call the dining room and make reservations for the same time, 7:00 to 7:30 for the next three days as allowed. We never had a problem and although we ate mostly on 2tops, we were always asked if we wanted to eat alone or join others. On a few occasions we did opt to dine with others and enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people. After about the first week of my wife calling to make advance reservations for the same time they started doing it for us. We could not have had a more pleasant experience.:)

What happened to the OP is inexplicable to me.:confused: