Beware of Spa gratuity

bsddsc

Boy, was I shocked when my spa treatment last week included an 18% gratuity!! I told her I would not pay that. When I walk in, I already know what I will leave for a gratuity and its never that high.

She talked to her supervisor and had the mandatory gratuity removed. I paid my amount instead.

When you check in, ask to have your bill without the gratuity. They will do that. But don't be afraid to speak up if you see it on your bill and have it removed before you sign your name on the bill.

Add to that, I called the Spa 2 times about my treatment and both people I talked to said it was supposed to be 90 minutes. Mine was 70. I shouldn't have left any gratuity at all, but I did leave something.

Boy, was I shocked when my spa treatment last week included an 18% gratuity!! I told her I would not pay that. When I walk in, I already know what I will leave for a gratuity and its never that high.

She talked to her supervisor and had the mandatory gratuity removed. I paid my amount instead.

When you check in, ask to have your bill without the gratuity. They will do that. But don't be afraid to speak up if you see it on your bill and have it removed before you sign your name on the bill.

Add to that, I called the Spa 2 times about my treatment and both people I talked to said it was supposed to be 90 minutes. Mine was 70. I shouldn't have left any gratuity at all, but I did leave something.

Yeah, they added the auto gratuity about a year and half ago (around Jun 2013). But, as with most things Disney, if you complain, chances are they will remove it.

Edited by Shmoo here

tip should be voluntary to appreciate a job well done. A mandatory tip simply distorts the actual cost of service under the disguise of additional fee

Totally agree! And the cost of a service on the ship is so much higher than a similar service at home that it makes the tip look huge.

Totally agree! And the cost of a service on the ship is so much higher than a similar service at home that it makes the tip look huge.

that is the point here. My local spa charges less and they do a better job. I was charged $28 tip for something I would tip $15 for at home.

Plus, I don't tip by percentage at a spa. A 50 minute massage gets a $10 tip whether they charge $65 at my local spa or $125 or more at a Disney hotel spa or cruise spa.

Will I keep going to the spa, most likely yes. But I won't pay their preset rate.

First of all it clearly states that an 18% gratuity is added when you book your treatment. The second thing is that 15-20% is the normal amount.

If you don't want to pay it then don't go to the spa.

Exactly what I said above--double the price that I'd pay for the same service at home + automatic gratuity = there's something I'd rather do during my precious cruise hours.

Exactly what I said above--double the price that I'd pay for the same service at home + automatic gratuity = there's something I'd rather do during my precious cruise hours.

I think she was replying to other posters who said they'd still go to the spa but cut the gratuity for the service provider. I am also of the opinion that 18% is quite reasonable for a spa, and think it's unfair to the staff for people to cut that down just because they're cheap. If the service provided is poor, then of course tip whatever is earned.

But I would like to know where all these people live who can go to a spa (of similar quality, construction, elegance, etc.) and get services for half the price onboard, with no automatic gratuity! Any spa I've gone to on land that is equivalent to the one at sea, the prices and policies were very, very similar.

I feel 20percent is the norm so 18 is really a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this. I think the only time I leave less than 20% is if it's not really a hands on treatment. (Like a special bath where all they really do is draw the tub and add something to the water, then I leave 10-15%. Otherwise I would be quite embarrassed to leave less than 20%. I would also never use what I pay at home to determine what tip I should leave at sea. Apples to Oranges.

Edited by ducklite

As an overall, other than bars (for purely matters of efficiency since its a large volume of small transactions), I generally disapprove of tips added to bills (I understand why the cruise lines do hotel charges and benefits to me, but that's different than liking it).

Tipping, in its true form, is a personal decision. With that in mind, I very often overtip spa staff. Depending on the treatment, it can be a very physical job with lots of standing, etc. And really, I can't imagine that staring at people's back hair, etc can be much fun.

I feel 20percent is the norm so 18 is really a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all it clearly states that an 18% gratuity is added when you book your treatment. The second thing is that 15-20% is the normal amount.

If you don't want to pay it then don't go to the spa.

Agree completely.

I always get flak for this (and this is my opinion only) but there is no such thing as a "normal amount" and people are foolish to pay 18% or higher for someone doing the job they are hired to do. To me a tip is for when someone in the service industry does something over and above to make you feel special. Just doing your job does not constitute that in my book. That is why they put a price on the service. If the person performing the service deserves more money they should just raise the price and pay the person more per hour. I resent being forced to pay a predetermined gratuity that is arbitrarily made up before the service even happens. I always have auto gratuities taken off my bill and if the person performs better than expected I tip. If not, I don't. But never 20% That is absurd.

I always get flak for this (and this is my opinion only) but there is no such thing as a "normal amount" and people are foolish to pay 18% or higher for someone doing the job they are hired to do. To me a tip is for when someone in the service industry does something over and above to make you feel special. Just doing your job does not constitute that in my book. That is why they put a price on the service. If the person performing the service deserves more money they should just raise the price and pay the person more per hour. I resent being forced to pay a predetermined gratuity that is arbitrarily made up before the service even happens. I always have auto gratuities taken off my bill and if the person performs better than expected I tip. If not, I don't. But never 20% That is absurd.

Perhaps you always get flak for this because, according to Emily Post, tipping certainly is the "norm".

http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/tipping/89-general-tipping-guidelines

Many in the service industry are paid substandard wages for the jobs they do because tips are considered part of their earnings. So, without gratuities, "just doing their job" does not earn them a reasonable living.

Anyone who accepts a service from anyone in a position where they are typically tipped and doesn't tip that service provider is downright cheap. Sunday evening my nephew delivered two full carts of luggage to a family staying at the resort he works at. It was over 20 suitcases/boxes/bags. They didn't even thank him, let alone tip him. Word was passed, and I guarantee they will be "forgotten" when they call for luggage assistance at check out. How freaking cheap can someone be?

If you don't want to tip, don't ask for service.

Edited by ducklite

Of course when they are "forgotten" the General Manager and most likely a higher up at corporate will be contacted when the complaint is registered. Someone in bell services may lose their job for poor service that will reflect on the hotel via YELP and internal channels. Having said that I think in this case of 20 bags there should have been at least a $20 tip and a thank you. I always tip $1 a bag because moving them is a lot of physical work. Just like I always tip a valet to get my car.

Perhaps you always get flak for this because, according to Emily Post, tipping certainly is the "norm".

http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/tipping/89-general-tipping-guidelines

Many in the service industry are paid substandard wages for the jobs they do because tips are considered part of their earnings. So, without gratuities, "just doing their job" does not earn them a reasonable living.

I have no idea who or what Emily Post is but I am certain I would not agree with her opinion!

I have no idea who or what Emily Post is but I am certain I would not agree with her opinion!
she was an author who specialized in etiquette. You can read here biography HERE.

Now, as to tipping - in the US tips are a large part of a service workers compensation. They are really not paid by their employer, but by us via tips. The minimum wage paid to most wait staff under US law is $2.35 an hour. They really don't get paid a reasonable wage for their work unless folks tip.

The service staff on most cruise ships follow a similar pay scheme, low pay with tips bringing them up,to a reasonable wage.

Everyone is free to tip as they see fit. As for me, 20% is the norm unless the service provided was sub-standard.

I know nothing about what the spa staff are paid on the ship. I do have reliable information concerning servers, assistants, and stateroom hosts.

I concur that in the US, food servers can be paid almost nothing by their employer (often not even enough to cover the taxes that will be withheld on their estimated tips)...but that doesn't cover spa workers, beauticians, etc.

I would be curious to learn whether the person who does your service keeps all of the tip...or whether tips are pooled and split. And does that split include the person who comes in to clean up the room? In at least some areas of the spa, that is a person in a different uniform than the spa person doing the service.

Now, some will argue that the above information is irrelevant or not my business. Perhaps, but I feel that I have a right to know where my money goes.

Finally, all workers on the ship are provided with room and board as part of their contract. This automatically places them in a different situation than similar workers in the US. Beyond that, ALL of the non-officer level salaries on the ship are low. I was shocked when I saw a pay stub from one individual--on the ship the pay was barely above minimum wage while on land the position would likely have been unionized the the pay at least 3 times as much as she was getting. Right or wrong? That's for the worker to decide. But I don't see why a spa worker is worth the $20+ in tips that they would get IF they get to keep the 18% as opposed to the non-tipped worker getting $7 per hour from DCL!

Again--because I have an issue with the spa prices and tipping policy, I choose not to use the spa. So, I guess it doesn't matter to me.

I am a hair stylist. I work on commission. I am often paid well under minimum wage for my work. Without the assistance of tips I would not earn a living wage. I work at a very nice spa and almost always get 20% gratuity.

I know nothing about what the spa staff are paid on the ship. I do have reliable information concerning servers' date=' assistants, and stateroom hosts.

I concur that in the US, food servers can be paid almost nothing by their employer (often not even enough to cover the taxes that will be withheld on their estimated tips)...but that doesn't cover spa workers, beauticians, etc.

I would be curious to learn whether the person who does your service keeps all of the tip...or whether tips are pooled and split. And does that split include the person who comes in to clean up the room? In at least some areas of the spa, that is a person in a different uniform than the spa person doing the service.

Now, some will argue that the above information is irrelevant or not my business. Perhaps, but I feel that I have a right to know where my money goes.

Finally, all workers on the ship are provided with room and board as part of their contract. This automatically places them in a different situation than similar workers in the US. Beyond that, ALL of the non-officer level salaries on the ship are low. I was shocked when I saw a pay stub from one individual--on the ship the pay was barely above minimum wage while on land the position would likely have been unionized the the pay at least 3 times as much as she was getting. Right or wrong? That's for the worker to decide. But I don't see why a spa worker is worth the $20+ in tips that they would get IF they get to keep the 18% as opposed to the non-tipped worker getting $7 per hour from DCL!

Again--because I have an issue with the spa prices and tipping policy, I choose not to use the spa. So, I guess it doesn't matter to me.[/quote']