Chapel on NCL ships

sjpo

Dear sjpo,

No.

On NCL they want the cabin Revenues not Clergy..:mad:

All other Cruise lines except NCL provide Clergy Safe Comfortable passage for duties performed, gratis.

Well NCL now is also the only one which lacks American Shrimp and Lobster served in the main Dining hALLS.. TOO.

As they (NCL) count the Nickles, Dimes, and Dollars..:eek:

Dear all, does the Norwegian Spirit has a chapel? Could not find one in the deckplan but then again the one on Jade was not shown either.

Thanks

Dear sjpo,

No.

On NCL they want the cabin Revenues not Clergy..:mad:

All other Cruise lines except NCL provide Clergy Safe Comfortable passage for duties performed, gratis.

Well NCL now is also the only one which lacks American Shrimp and Lobster served in the main Dining hALLS.. TOO.

As they (NCL) count the Nickles, Dimes, and Dollars..:eek:

The Spirit wasn't built by NCL. It was designed for Asia where chapels would not be a normal part of a cruise ship.

Dear JohnIreland,

Yes. Why do the other NCL ships not now? The ipo RASIED mILLIONS OF $usd FOR THE ACTUALLY aSIAN FIRM.

I humbly differ, in Asia most Cruise lines even smaller Asiatic ones have a Chapel on ships. Ferries do too. :cool:

Once you finally, do go aboard other cruise lines you will see a widely vast difference.

Yes similar to French Vanilla and Chocolate varieties of Ice cream.. choices do abound

The Spirit wasn't built by NCL. It was designed for Asia where chapels would not be a normal part of a cruise ship.

Put another way, on some cruise lines, all of the passengers pay in order to provide free passage for clergy. Since I personally have no use for the duties that on-board clergy might perform, this is one nickel-and-dime I'm happy not to have to pay on NCL.

This is a separate issue, however, from the availability of a chapel on board for passengers to use for their independently-organized spiritual or religious activities.

One of my best experiences of a mass at sea was aboard CCL Legend, 2006. They have a chapel proper and it was very inspiring.

I've also read that mass can be held in any NCL Meeting Rooms.

Hope this helps.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

2014 July Breakaway

2010 July Miracle

2006 July Legend

One of my best experiences of a mass at sea was aboard CCL Legend, 2006. They have a chapel proper and it was very inspiring.

I've also read that mass can be held in any NCL Meeting Rooms.

Hope this helps.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

2014 July Breakaway

2010 July Miracle

2006 July Legend

I attended Mass on the QM2 earlier this year. Like you I also found it quite inspiring. However it was not in a chapel, but in the theatre. I don't think a ships chapel could have possibly held everyone who attended! You don't need a chapel to worship anyhow. He can hear you praying no matter where you are! :)

Hi

New here, Wondering if you can renew your vows on board?

Will be on NCL Gem Dec22-Jan2, 2015.

Thanks for any help.

Linda

Yes, you can. I'm on mobile at the moment so can't easily find the link to the options & reservation requirements but you absolutely can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Dawn and Star had them on 12 near Spinnaker but they were removed when Spinnaker was. Don't think they ever put them anywhere else on those ships.

No, the Star didn't. However, they have used the conference rooms for service of any faith when requested. They set the chairs up like a 'wedding' and have a table in the front of the room. In September when we were aboard it was Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Both times, as requested, they set a conference room up for us and on the table in front they provided a Challah bread for us with honey to dip it in and grape juice and cups and napkins. If you do want wine, that you have to pay for. You just need to let them know in advance.

They don't have anyone to 'lead' the services so someone from the 'audience' did that for us. He did a great job, too!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Put another way, on some cruise lines, all of the passengers pay in order to provide free passage for clergy. Since I personally have no use for the duties that on-board clergy might perform, this is one nickel-and-dime I'm happy not to have to pay on NCL.

This is a separate issue, however, from the availability of a chapel on board for passengers to use for their independently-organized spiritual or religious activities.

I have a clergy colleague who was on a HAL ship on 9/11/2001. He served so well as a volunteer chaplain that they have invited him back several times in an official capacity. I don't think many cruise lines have chaplains. Wish I could get a gig like that when I retire. I don't think HAL' s cost amounts to a lot.

I don't think HAL' s cost amounts to a lot.
They occupy a cabin that otherwise could have been sold to a paying passenger. They eat as much as they want like the rest of us, and I assume they can use all of the facilities onboard, go to the shows, participate in activities, use tenders to go ashore, etc. etc. I hope that they pay the daily hotel charge out of their own pocket, but I have no idea.

So does it amount to a lot? I really don't know, but I know it costs _something_, and everything that costs something is paid for out of our cruise fare. _All_ of our cruise fares. I don't need a priest or reverend or rabbi or imam or anything else of the sort, so I'd prefer not to pay for one.

No, the Star didn't. However, they have used the conference rooms for service of any faith when requested. They set the chairs up like a 'wedding' and have a table in the front of the room. In September when we were aboard it was Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Both times, as requested, they set a conference room up for us and on the table in front they provided a Challah bread for us with honey to dip it in and grape juice and cups and napkins. If you do want wine, that you have to pay for. You just need to let them know in advance.

They don't have anyone to 'lead' the services so someone from the 'audience' did that for us. He did a great job, too!

Harriet

Yes they did. I have a brochure from 2009-2010 and it was called "Starlight Chapel" and was on the port side in front of the restrooms. I was also on the Star and we had our M&G in the conference rooms just aft of that area.

Yes they did. I have a brochure from 2009-2010 and it was called "Starlight Chapel" and was on the port side in front of the restrooms. I was also on the Star and we had our M&G in the conference rooms just aft of that area.

The Chapel is no longer there. It may have been there 2009-2010 and when you were there - but it's no longer there as of September/October 2013 when I was cruising on her.

Harriet

The Chapel is no longer there. It may have been there 2009-2010 and when you were there - but it's no longer there as of September/October 2013 when I was cruising on her.

Harriet

You are correct. What I originally said was...

"The Dawn and Star had them on 12 near Spinnaker but they were removed when Spinnaker was. Don't think they ever put them anywhere else on those ships."

Interestingly enough, I took a quick look at the same brochure from 2009 and they show the Jewel class with "Chapel" on the deck plans at the time and some of the older ships had something called "The Chapel".