Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

I was brought up to reward good service, but too many these days seem greedy and don't want to tip.

I think the problem is really one of satisfying different cultures' expectations.

In the US they expect to provide a gratuity, and if a gratuity is not already listed, they'll add one.

In the UK, they expect to have a charge for 'service' included, or to be specifically noted as NOT included.

On NCL, the "gratuity" is not really a gratuity. It's the 'commission' against which bartenders generate their basic wages.

They are a primarily commission-based role, and the commission is the 15% added to the bill. This is a reason why that is done, and also why it is separated-out, so that the barkeeps can identify what proportion of the sale is allocated toward their commission.

For income stability they are provided a monthly 'draw' against their commission. If the surpass it, they keep the extra. I'm not sure if the draw is recoverable if they don't satisfy it with commission earnings (auto-gratuities), but if they don't meet it consistently, I suspect they'll be directed to more suitable employment opportunities.

So, when others adopt this inane practice of just adjusting the auto-gratuity, it will cost people their jobs.

Stephen

P.S. To JacksonBernard, if you're going to chime in and say I'm wrong, then prove your own position. Otherwise, don't bother.

You have to understand that guy. He is always telling people that he takes off his DSC and he lives in the woods with an out house instead of the toilet he has no running hot water I think he just likes to get everyone's goat I have learned over the past couple of months reading his posts that I think he is full of it and just like to have everyone argue with him for the sake of arguing. Disregard him.

Lol I remember now reading the thread where he was saying he lives in the woods with an out-house. I guess I just don't *get* some of his posts, but we're all different. :)

I think the problem is really one of satisfying different cultures' expectations.

In the US they expect to provide a gratuity, and if a gratuity is not already listed, they'll add one.

In the UK, they expect to have a charge for 'service' included, or to be specifically noted as NOT included.

On NCL, the "gratuity" is not really a gratuity. It's the 'commission' against which bartenders generate their basic wages.

They are a primarily commission-based role, and the commission is the 15% added to the bill. This is a reason why that is done, and also why it is separated-out, so that the barkeeps can identify what proportion of the sale is allocated toward their commission.

For income stability they are provided a monthly 'draw' against their commission. If the surpass it, they keep the extra. I'm not sure if the draw is recoverable if they don't satisfy it with commission earnings (auto-gratuities), but if they don't meet it consistently, I suspect they'll be directed to more suitable employment opportunities.

So, when others adopt this inane practice of just adjusting the auto-gratuity, it will cost people their jobs.

Stephen

P.S. To JacksonBernard, if you're going to chime in and say I'm wrong, then prove your own position. Otherwise, don't bother.

Please don't call in that creature under the bridge - that's quickest way to get this thread deleted along with namecalling and calling him a donkey's rear...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Surely 15% is 15% in euros, dollars, sterling, zlotys or whatever currency you use.

Having said that, I am intrigued as to how EW gets his 15% gratuity removed on his drinks. Perhaps if he does it at the bar, he gets 'extras':eek: added to his drink or waits a long time to get a refill (possibly a bit light on the alcohol pour as well);).

Nothing like cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Though maybe he goes to GS and gets them to tot up his bar bill and knock 15% off the lot - now that would be a way to reduce your base drinks price (a 2.25% discount for those who do not want to do the sums).

Probably should not have said that...:rolleyes:

You have to understand that guy. He is always telling people that he takes off his DSC and he lives in the woods with an out house instead of the toilet he has no running hot water I think he just likes to get everyone's goat I have learned over the past couple of months reading his posts that I think he is full of it and just like to have everyone argue with him for the sake of arguing. Disregard him.

The funny thing is that not one person here actually knows this guy right? He can say anything he wants right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here but honestly..... This guy is just playing with all of you who respond.

I don't even know if I have ever responded to him and don't really care.....

By responding to him you are playing his game and his game is bullying

Come on folks really... Why even take his bait

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's just say I'm not going to disagree with you! ;)

For the record, the next time he cries / complain about 15% drink tip - someone should toss it it back at him it pennies .-50 in the UK/EU for 3.66-4 compare to the US $1-3 for 5.75 drink. He needs to keep his mouth shut on that one because he deserves the flamethrower for thinking the pricing on both sides of pond is the same.

Edited by maywell

For the record, the next time he criea / complain about 15% drink tip - someone should toss it it back at him it pennies .-50 in the UK/EU for 3.66-4 compare to the US $1-3 for 5.75 drink. He needs to keep his mouth shut on that one because he deserves the flamethrower for thinking the pricing on both sides of pond is the same.

No offense but do you never get tired of biting in to fish hooks in so many different threads? Man, you really get upset about stuff. Stop biting and chill out. There's plenty of enjoyable subjects and posters in the forum that are much more enjoyable.

No offense but do you never get tired of biting in to fish hooks in so many different threads? Man, you really get upset about stuff. Stop biting and chill out. There's plenty of enjoyable subjects and posters in the forum that are much more enjoyable.

The problem is that the moderators have to know this person is playing silly Internet games and continue to allow it. He/she posts incorrect information and someone has to correct it for the sake of the newbies that join this forum on a daily basis.

The problem is that the moderators have to know this person is playing silly Internet games and continue to allow it. He/she posts incorrect information and someone has to correct it for the sake of the newbies that join this forum on a daily basis.

And that's fine. I understand that but folks can do it in a way without name calling and coming across like you are pounding your keyboard and getting upset. That is just tugging on the fisherman's string.

Just my two cents worth. I'm not the board police. ;)

The funny thing is that not one person here actually knows this guy right? He can say anything he wants right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here but honestly..... This guy is just playing with all of you who respond.

I don't even know if I have ever responded to him and don't really care.....

By responding to him you are playing his game and his game is bullying

Come on folks really... Why even take his bait

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's easy...the same reason I took yours, on the other thread.

Because misinformation needs to be corrected, for the benefit of future generations.

:)

I puzzle over all the people who say they give an extra $1 or $2 on each drink, if the drinks are $10 each that means they are actually paying 25 -35% tips. The 15% and the extra.:eek:

Some people like to tip more because sometimes that's only way they get much stronger drinks after the 1st one in day/evening and/or faster service. *shrug*

I puzzle over all the people who say they give an extra $1 or $2 on each drink, if the drinks are $10 each that means they are actually paying 25 -35% tips. The 15% and the extra.:eek:

Puzzled when people are generous? Hmmmm interesting. I always tip at least $1 extra on every drink and when eating a meal luch $3 dinner $5

Puzzled when people are generous? Hmmmm interesting. I always tip at least $1 extra on every drink and when eating a meal luch $3 dinner $5

I usually tip $5 for meal if I'm waited on in Manhattan and the outer boroughs, no matter what price under about $50 since I usually dine alone majority of time. Before anyone goes 'isn't that under 15%' - Remember the tipping policy amount across the entire US is not uniform and varies city / state / region, sometimes neighborhoods, sometimes it is 15% per meal or per person; or $2 per meal or person; or only applies to party of 4 and up plus automatic, etc.. The only thing uniform across the board is the tipping policies for cruise lines since it written down and somewhat enforced, lol.

This is a suggested amount from Norwegian Cruise Line. !!

More than suggested. It's actually obligatory since it is already added on and charged to your card.

I do not believe that you actually change the tip from 15% and that they charge the new total rather than the original total. How cheap to even try to do that since the difference between 10% and 15% on an $8 drink is only 40cents. How cheap to try to subtract that pittance from a hardworking bar tender.

Edited by NMLady

In the US when we say that "people work for tips" that is a literal expression in most cases- tips make up the lions' share of their income as in most states employers are allowed to pay far under the minimum wage to these workers. Whether this practice is right or wrong really is irrelevent, my not tipping someone in protest of the practice won't change the practice, it will only hurt the person that served me. I am not willing to do that.

It's been a while since I sailed with NCL but if I remember correctly, by the time you sign the slip the amount has already been charged to your ship account, so by changing it (up or apparently down) when you sign you are causing more work for the staff as they have to cancel the previous charge and put in the new one. I know this because I was adding extra the first few times and found on my shipboard account statement the first charge, then the deduction, then the new charge. I also sensed from the bar tender's expression that he did not really enjoy having to do that extra work. After that I used cash for the extra tip. :)

It's been a while since I sailed with NCL but if I remember correctly, by the time you sign the slip the amount has already been charged to your ship account, so by changing it (up or apparently down) when you sign you are causing more work for the staff as they have to cancel the previous charge and put in the new one. I know this because I was adding extra the first few times and found on my shipboard account statement the first charge, then the deduction, then the new charge. I also sensed from the bar tender's expression that he did not really enjoy having to do that extra work. After that I used cash for the extra tip. :)

Would it be true to say that by adding extra to the slip, that that tip is placed in the pot so to speak, to be shared with many others, whereas a cash tip would go to the server?

Wow, I really didn't mean to cause such a controversy when I asked my question.

To all those who took your valuable time to answer my question--THANK YOU-

To everyone else, can't we all just agree to disagree and keep things 'friendly and respectable'.

Shouldn't this be a somewhat happy place for us?;)

Wow, I really didn't mean to cause such a controversy when I asked my question.

To all those who took your valuable time to answer my question--THANK YOU-

To everyone else, can't we all just agree to disagree and keep things 'friendly and respectable'.

Shouldn't this be a somewhat happy place for us?;)

You didn't cause a controversy; its that some people have serious issues with tipping especially on cruise lines. They believe that they shouldn't tip for services such as drinks, room cleaning, food brought to their tables or rooms, etc and that fine to have those beliefs. But don't penalize the staff that doing these services for you by not tipping in a mistaken belief that you're hurting / revolting the system, its not. The only people that getting hurt is the staff and person not tipping - The staff because tips are a part of their wages and some of them come from countries that have no real good jobs that can support their families, so working on cruise ship is probably better paycheck than staying in their native country. And the person not tipping especially if they're a repeat customer(less than 15% or none of it), why should the staff bother servicing or going out their way for the person that's not paying their part of their wage, when they make up the amount from the other passengers that paying the 15% or more?

Is the system fair? To be honest, no its not but that how the system is run since passengers are willing to pay the price to go cruising. How to fight it? By not using cruising lines that use that practice but let's be real; that is never going to happen as long there are customers willing to travel on a ship and enjoy the services. If one truly doesn't want to tip - then don't use the services at all as well as sophisticate your tongue and buy yourself wine /water / soda / juice since it doesn't need a bartender to open or pour it. Or just don't go cruising and do land vacation / resorts instead, may not get the same level of service as a cruise but at least you don't have to tip for everything.

Would it be true to say that by adding extra to the slip, that that tip is placed in the pot so to speak, to be shared with many others, whereas a cash tip would go to the server?

It is my understanding that extra tips belong to the individual server regardless of the form they take.

It is my understanding that extra tips belong to the individual server regardless of the form they take.

Thanks. I still prefer to give cash, seems more personal.

I just received an email from an NCL bartender friend that confirms that all tips go to the person who prepared the drink slip/receipt. Cash goes into their pocket immediately and "credit" takes a couple of weeks depending on pay cycle. He said that cash is king but everything is greatly appreciated.

I just received an email from an NCL bartender friend that confirms that all tips go to the person who prepared the drink slip/receipt. Cash goes into their pocket immediately and "credit" takes a couple of weeks depending on pay cycle. He said that cash is king but everything is greatly appreciated.

Okay, now I'm confused.

The person who prepared the drink would be the bartender

The person who repairs the slip/receipt would be the bartender

What about the person who comes to you, asks what you want, puts the order in to the bartender, picks up the drink, brings you the drink, gets your slip/receipt to you and returns it to you give them your cabin card?

Who's getting that 15% tip that's added on? The bartender or the server?

Who gets the $1.00 cash tip I give the server?

Thanks,

Harriet