dress code

msweezie

That pretty much sums it up.

Resurrecting this older thread (not TOO old) because I love a great debate and that's what I see here.

We are sailing on Indy next month and live in New Jersey. The cruise sails out of Ft Lauderdale so we are flying in the night before. The issue with me is we get charged for bags on the airlines so the more you bring the more it costs. My wife is already bringing a garment bag plus we have a large bag each and carry ons. To me it is just a pain to also bring a suit in a garment bag. If I was driving to the port maybe that would be different because I would drop the luggage and garment bags with the porter then park but that's not the case.

I am also of the belief that it's my vacation so why should I be forced to dress in a suit for dinner? I am of the belief that I will be of a clean and neat appearance. Slacks, button down, tie, and shoes. So I'm missing the jacket...so what? It's not like I am smoking on my balcony and you have your door open. :) (Notice the attempt to start another debate???)

Anyway, enjoy your vacations or planning everyone!

Resurrecting this older thread (not TOO old) because I love a great debate and that's what I see here.

We are sailing on Indy next month and live in New Jersey. The cruise sails out of Ft Lauderdale so we are flying in the night before. The issue with me is we get charged for bags on the airlines so the more you bring the more it costs. My wife is already bringing a garment bag plus we have a large bag each and carry ons. To me it is just a pain to also bring a suit in a garment bag. If I was driving to the port maybe that would be different because I would drop the luggage and garment bags with the porter then park but that's not the case.

I am also of the belief that it's my vacation so why should I be forced to dress in a suit for dinner? I am of the belief that I will be of a clean and neat appearance. Slacks, button down, tie, and shoes. So I'm missing the jacket...so what? It's not like I am smoking on my balcony and you have your door open. :) (Notice the attempt to start another debate???)

Regarding formal night: it's not what you think, or what I think, or what anyone on this thread thinks; it's what the head waiter/ maitre 'd thinks as you come in the dining room without a jacket. Many ships don't care; some do. So, it's a slight gamble as to whether they will admit you to the dining room without at least a jacket.

Always a fun question. Despite the fact that there is an explicit policy to not wear shorts, you have some people who want to say, "wear whatever you want, because they won't enforce it and throw you out." I suppose, if that's your standard of behavior, it is what it is, but I don't get why you need to push that attitude on others. It's not that much different from those who want to push the idea that jeans are NOT acceptable, when there is no policy or even request to refrain from wearing jeans. :)

No one will deny admittance to the MDR on formal night just because they are not wearing a jacket. Having said that, it really has nothing to do with packing. DH manages to pack a suit AND a sport jacket for a two week cruise in one suitcase (BTW, jeans weigh a lot more). It's really more the "I have to dress up all week and refuse to do it on my vacation" attitude that is the real reason.

Regarding formal night: it's not what you think, or what I think, or what anyone on this thread thinks; it's what the head waiter/ maitre 'd thinks as you come in the dining room without a jacket. Many ships don't care; some do. So, it's a slight gamble as to whether they will admit you to the dining room without at least a jacket.

It is absolutely zero gamble. They don't care if you wear a suit jacket or sport coat or not at all.

Well, I can't control if someone is fat, old, or hairy:D but I see your point. Yes it would bother me if someone came to sit next to me in a wife beater and athletic shorts. I do believe in being neat and tidy, I just reserve formal what are actual commemorations (weddings, milestones, funerals). If it's not something of family importance, or a significant event / milestone in the lives of friends or colleagues, I'm not really celebrating anything and therefore my khaki pants and button up shirt are plenty fine.

My problem lies more with the sanctimony of many (not you to whom I am quoting and responding, just in general) who beat the drum of "get dressed or go to the buffet" line. I don't like it. It's rude and condescending. The cruise line sets the standard and is responsible for who is allowed into the MDR. They can enforce it or not. Everyone has paid for MDR food with waitstaff service. They should not be forced to the buffet or to spend more for specialty dining, unless they wish for either of those options, because they don't participate in a suggested manner of dress.

The ones I really have the problem with though are those who can't tell the difference between formal and midnight run to the gas station. If you don't want to wear a suit, no problemo, but I do appreciate and expect some effort towards clean, tidy and presentable otherwise. Non-participation should not automatically equal the diametric opposite.

And I think shorts should be allowed on casual evenings as an option too.

(Yes, I realize this is old, but since it bubbled back to the top...)

You do realize that in reality, the two of your points I bolded above are completely entwined, right?

If the dam breaks and they DO "officially" allow shorts, I hope you're not kidding yourself about two realities:

• There's no way RCI staff will make any effort to differentiate "good" shorts from "bad" shorts.
  • Once shorts are allowed, there's a certain percentage of people who will push THAT limit, just as they push current limits, and show up in exactly the athletic shorts that you admit would bother you.

Where do you see it stated anywhere that a jacket is required? Royal Caribbean has SUGGESTED GUIDELINES and suggestions are not rules or codes. There certainly is no gamble incurred in showing up to the MDR on formal night without a jacket as it is totally acceptable to the cruise line.

Edited by jtdlmc

Always a fun question. Despite the fact that there is an explicit policy to not wear shorts, you have some people who want to say, "wear whatever you want, because they won't enforce it and throw you out." I suppose, if that's your standard of behavior, it is what it is, but I don't get why you need to push that attitude on others. It's not that much different from those who want to push the idea that jeans are NOT acceptable, when there is no policy or even request to refrain from wearing jeans. :)

Oh I'm not one for shorts and tank tops and hats either but...at the same time I won't allow it to ruin my vacation either. As in, I won't let it bother me like it bothers some. I say more wine more wine! :)

Please excuse me quoting everything as I am mobile now, but I follow these forums daily and have not seen anyone say they should be able to eat at the Grande without dressing as requested. I have seen people make strawman arguments about what they suspect people will do but never anything else.

I'm sure he'll correct me if my memory is wrong, but I believe that CruiseTobey has definitely made the argument that if the particular entree' they want that evening is only available in The Grande, that they should be allowed in to have that entree' without following the formal dress code.

I come down firmly on the side of dressing up on formal night with respect to this topic. But having said that, on today's RCI, if you show up in your stated "slacks, button down, tie and shoes" no one is going to turn you away from the MDR for dinner on any night of the cruise. Personally, I appreciate the effort you're making to be, as you say, "clean and neat appearance." You're not flaunting the dress code at all, unlike those who say its just fine to show up in shorts and tee shirt, and will definitely be doing so.

(Yes, I realize this is old, but since it bubbled back to the top...)

You do realize that in reality, the two of your points I bolded above are completely entwined, right?

If the dam breaks and they DO "officially" allow shorts, I hope you're not kidding yourself about two realities:

• There's no way RCI staff will make any effort to differentiate "good" shorts from "bad" shorts.
  • Once shorts are allowed, there's a certain percentage of people who will push THAT limit, just as they push current limits, and show up in exactly the athletic shorts that you admit would bother you.

I don't think this

1498664_fpx.tif?01AD=3nCWsPUrAW1onVC5mmqTt4MFBR37TbLU6mZCPldsdIcw1dY_kDKvXfA&01RI=E5EE4EB948F2784&01NA=&wid=330&hei=404&fit=fit,1&$filterlrg$

is the same thing as this

1485952_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1

I wouldn't go to dinner in the bottom outfit. I go to dinner in the top outfit very, very often. Not sure about the climate in Dallas, but here in Palm Beach nice shorts and polo passes muster in probably 99% of restaurants.

I don't think this

1498664_fpx.tif?01AD=3nCWsPUrAW1onVC5mmqTt4MFBR37TbLU6mZCPldsdIcw1dY_kDKvXfA&01RI=E5EE4EB948F2784&01NA=&wid=330&hei=404&fit=fit,1&$filterlrg$

is the same thing as this

1485952_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1

I wouldn't go to dinner in the bottom outfit. I go to dinner in the top outfit very, very often. Not sure about the climate in Dallas, but here in Palm Beach nice shorts and polo passes muster in probably 99% of restaurants.

We agree, those two outfits are entirely different. But you're missing my point. If RCI officially allows outfit #1 for dinner, there's a contingent who will immediately start showing up in outfit #2, and RCI staff will do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Dallas certainly gets hot in the summer months. I'm not positive about percentages - and it may be that close to 99% won't stop you at the door for shorts/polo, but there are a number of the nicer restaurants where you'll look horribly out of place if they do allow you in.

I come down firmly on the side of dressing up on formal night with respect to this topic. But having said that, on today's RCI, if you show up in your stated "slacks, button down, tie and shoes" no one is going to turn you away from the MDR for dinner on any night of the cruise. Personally, I appreciate the effort you're making to be, as you say, "clean and neat appearance." You're not flaunting the dress code at all, unlike those who say its just fine to show up in shorts and tee shirt, and will definitely be doing so.

Man, Im actually on the same side of this argument with you for once! :eek:

I agree with you 100% and as the OP explained will be how I dress for formal nights on my upcoming cruise. Im still fairly new to cruising but Im over the tux thing already. The thing is, SOME people here are not even happy with that and will call us a "wal mart employee" for wearing a tie with no jacket :o You cant win around here with some :) I am glad to see you taking the position you just did on this though.

Edited by ryano

We agree, those two outfits are entirely different. But you're missing my point. If RCI officially allows outfit #1 for dinner, there's a contingent who will immediately start showing up in outfit #2, and RCI staff will do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Dallas certainly gets hot in the summer months. I'm not positive about percentages - and it may be that close to 99% won't stop you at the door for shorts/polo, but there are a number of the nicer restaurants where you'll look horribly out of place if they do allow you in.

That's an RCI staffing issue. Staff need to be empowered to uphold whatever the requirements are. If they are going to lay down like doormats, well, what can they expect?

Man, Im actually on the same side of this argument with you for once! :eek:

I agree with you 100% and as the OP explained will be how I dress for formal nights on my upcoming cruise. Im still fairly new to cruising but Im over the tux thing already. The thing is, SOME people here are not even happy with that and will call us a "wal mart employee" for wearing a tie with no jacket :o You cant win around here with some :) I am glad to see you taking the position you just did on this though.

I enjoy wearing a tux, but I'd never expect everyone else to. And although I wish everyone would wear a jacket on formal nights, I'm not in the habit of tilting at windmills. ;) I do wish we could keep the line drawn in the sand at no shirts, tee shirts or ball caps - as it officially is now. But I fear even that line will eventually disappear, and the reality we'll find ourselves with is too many showing up for dinner in LMaxwell's #2 outfit above. :( I hate to see the dining environment aboard ship lower itself to the lowest common denominator of Golden Corral, but I fear that's the future...

That's an RCI staffing issue. Staff need to be empowered to uphold whatever the requirements are. If they are going to lay down like doormats, well, what can they expect?

Agreed, but the fact that so many here are telling everyone to wear shorts to dinner now because the "no shorts" won't be enforced, proves the point that we already KNOW that they lay down like doormats, and I can't imagine why anyone would expect that to change.

That's the main reason I hope we won't see shorts officially allowed, because whatever is officially listed, the reality will always be that less than that will be allowed in the door...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

OK, how about if I wear a jacket (suit or sports) but no tie? Personally, wearing a jacket bother me a lot less that wearing a noose around my neck.

My preference is that you would wear both a tie and a jacket. However, my preference doesn't really hold a lot of weight! I believe if you look at the suggested dress, that you'll be just fine in a sport jacket and nice dress shirt without tie.

Agreed, but the fact that so many here are telling everyone to wear shorts to dinner now because the "no shorts" won't be enforced, proves the point that we already KNOW that they lay down like doormats, and I can't imagine why anyone would expect that to change.

That's the main reason I hope we won't see shorts officially allowed, because whatever is officially listed, the reality will always be that less than that will be allowed in the door...

I think we are both pragmatic and realistic about this, just different opinions on what we are comfortable with or find acceptable. I mean, I certainly wouldn't say you were wrong.

I think we are both pragmatic and realistic about this, just different opinions on what we are comfortable with or find acceptable. I mean, I certainly wouldn't say you were wrong.

Agreed - there's no right or wrong, its just differing opinions, to which we're both entitled.

But again, my main argument to you is - I think your quest of talking to RCI to talk them into officially allowing shorts in the MDR will ultimately not achieve the result you would prefer - rather, it will end up with plenty of males around you at dinner in outfits resembling your #2 above, which we both seem to agree is entirely inappropriate.