Moderno and Cagney's dress code

lbfluffy

From NCL frequently asked questions:

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items

NCL doesn't require him to wear a jacket. But if YOU love dressing up, I'd make him pack it so he looks as good as you do in the photos. :D

We are a party of 8 and I'm the only one that likes dressing up. I may be the odd one out!

Shorts and a shirt will get you in anywhere except one MDR and Le Bistro. And there a polo shirt and dockers will work. Anything beyond that is your decision. Suites, formal/semiformal dresses, sports coats etc. will be in very short supply.

True, suites usually sell out so very short supply there and suits are almost as scarce.

Relax, wear what you're comfortable wearing, formal, semi formal, resort casual... all good.

Enjoy your cruise, that's what it's all about.

Cheers

True, suites usually sell out so very short supply there and suits are almost as scarce.

Relax, wear what you're comfortable wearing, formal, semi formal, resort casual... all good.

Enjoy your cruise, that's what it's all about.

Cheers

Fat fingers!! You knew what I meant!!:D

I love dressing up so I have no problem, but my hubby is wondering if he needs to pack his suit coat, thanks.

I just ate at Cagney's last weekend and was surprised to see people in t-shirt and shorts.

There seems to be no dress code.

I wore a dinner jacket as I wanted to dress up on the last day.

I just ate at Cagney's last weekend and was surprised to see people in t-shirt and shorts.

There seems to be no dress code.

I wore a dinner jacket as I wanted to dress up on the last day.

There are some who seem to mind what others wear to dinner and they aren't comfortable with the casualness of NCL, it doesn't suit everyone. But, if it bothers you too much then perhaps you're someone who needs to find a more traditional cruise line. Why worry about what others wear? The dress code on NCL is resort casual so that suits us just fine.

I will admit that, on the first and last evenings, they do tend to relax the code a bit, since, on the first evening, some haven't even received their luggage and on the last evening, some have already packed and are wearing their travel clothes to keep things simple.

Norwegian is about comfort, so be comfortable, no matter what level of dress code you feel best in.

There are some who seem to mind what others wear to dinner and they aren't comfortable with the casualness of NCL, it doesn't suit everyone. But, if it bothers you too much then perhaps you're someone who needs to find a more traditional cruise line. Why worry about what others wear? The dress code on NCL is resort casual so that suits us just fine.

I will admit that, on the first and last evenings, they do tend to relax the code a bit, since, on the first evening, some haven't even received their luggage and on the last evening, some have already packed and are wearing their travel clothes to keep things simple.

Norwegian is about comfort, so be comfortable, no matter what level of dress code you feel best in.

How funny that you think that they need to find another line, when in fact

the poster was the one following policy. Maybe the people in shorts and tshirts need to find another cruise line?

the poster was the one following policy. Maybe the people in shorts and tshirts need to find another cruise line?

I normally don't get involved in this topic since it has been discussed about one million times already. However, our recent Sun cruise, while we were having dinner at Le Bistro on evening, made me think about it.

First, as someone has already posted, the dress code (rules) are clearly explained/posted for all guests to see. Only two dining areas require anything beyond the most casual sports wear. However, those two do have stated requirements of a slightly higher level of dress. When you sign on for that cruise, you are agreeing to those posted conditions as required of you. When I sign on for that cruise, I am expected to comply with those conditions, and I have the expectation that all other guests will do so also. Does this mean that I really give a .... as to how anyone else dresses generally, no...not really. I just care as to how they will appear in those two dining venues. I'm expected to comply with the dress code conditions if I elect to dine in one of them, and I expect all other guests to appear around me dressed as required also. I don't get to pick and choose what rules I wish to comply with and neither should other guests. We all collectively agreed to these rules when we signed up for the cruise.

Now, back to my recent Sun cruise. We were having dinner in Le Bistro. On the Sun, I think that is one of the most attractive of the Le Bistros. My wife and I were enjoying the lovely surroundings, gracious servers, food presented beautifully. My wife and I met the minimum required dress code, or maybe just slightly more in that I wore slacks and not jeans. And then, in came a couple with their teen son. Dad had on T-shirt and sandals. Teen son had on low hanging torn jeans, T-shirt, and flip flops. Do I care that they like to wear those clothes, of course not. I dress more relaxed than that frequently, in fact usually. But....not in the Le Bistro that night. Why?? Because it violated the dress code rules of which I agreed to comply. And....outside that restaurant, that night, they would be dressed just fine. But not fine to be in that restaurant right then. They had deliberately decided that rules didn't apply to them. They did in fact...call me a dress code **** if you wish....detract from the atmosphere of the Le Bistro surroundings. And that detraction did indeed personally affect me.

But...the dilemma. What should the Matre 'd have done? Rock and a hard place is where I saw her. I feel certain, had dad been challenged by her about his and son's manner of dress, dad would have created a scene. Would the possible unpleasant scene that dad probably would have caused have been more distracting to the otherwise very pleasant and comfortable atmosphere that all the other guest were enjoying, more distracting than them just being seated wearing their very inappropriate clothes, violating a dress code as required for this restaurant? I don't know. Maybe. No good answer, and the very sweet Matre 'd should not be put in this difficult position by those belligerent attitude guests who just decide the rules are not for them.

We did continue comfortably enjoying our meal. But the whole time I just couldn't help wondering (young teen son was by then pouring another of his several glasses of wine) why some folks just don't think rules are meant for them. Do they go through life ignoring all of which they don't agree? I don't know.

The policy is that shorts are allowed in Cagneys.

Are you referring to t shirts? The dress code says casual shirts are allowed and only seems to bar tank tops, so I'm not convinced the people referred to were not within the dress code.

I love dressing up so I have no problem, but my hubby is wondering if he needs to pack his suit coat, thanks.

He can relax, no suit jacket or sports jacket is necessary. He might want a little dressier shirt, but even then, the only restaurant that is formal at all is Le Bistro. If he has a nice sports shirt or a dress shirt with or without a tie and decent slacks he will fit right in.

Actually the ones wearing the shorts and t shirts were within policy.

Deleted because I am not getting sucked into this discussion again :)

Just to clarify any confusion, the text you highlighted before you deleted your post was the dress code for Le Bistro and one MDR, not Cagneys.

Edited by KeithJenner

When I first sailed NCL in 2009 Cagneys did have a dress code. You had to wear a collared shirt, pants (no jeans) and dress shoes. This policy changed several years ago when NCL went more freestyle than ever. I think most everyone enjoys relaxing on vacation. Why does anyone care if someone wears a dress pair of shorts with tennis shoes to a restaurant. You could eat in pajamas for all I care.

NCL gets it and I could not agree more.

Good move, Kate.

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to." — Anonymous

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

There were no invitations to this discussion. She entered it voluntarily.

I wasn't aware it was an argument though. A couple of us responded to a posting that looked to us to be incorrect. If someone posts something on a public message board that is incorrect or questionable then they must expect others to respond to it. It's what happens, and for good reason.