Quantum Failure!

M.S JAZO

Noooooooooooooooooo! Not my San Pellegrino!!!!!!!!!!

Take my Chateau de Tuesday. Just leave my San Pellegrino!!!!

;) :p :D

Seriously, people could also raid the mini-bar, and give guests another reason to visit Guest Services.

This may be a dumb question...but I will ask anyway. Can someone take the SeaPass Card from any room and head to one of the bars? I would think that could be a huge problem.

I would be more concerned that they could enter my cabin and steal whatever strikes their fancy - the hairdryer, bathrobe, toiletries, my amenities, hell the TV. I don't think that taking my Seapass to a bar would work because even if they protested that it's not the right picture, I imagine that the correct response from the bartender would be to go sort it out at Guest Services.

And even if everybody on the ship is as honest as the day is long, I just don't like the idea that anybody could enter my cabin before I got there. It's just creepy. I hope they change back to providing the Seapasses when you check in - I suppose they don't do it because of the roving check in personnel, who would have to leave you in the middle of the embarkation hall to go fetch them, but I think they need to tighten up security in that regard.

We were on a 2-nighter and most things worked well. However, on the second night we went to dinner, gave our cabin number and the maitre d' asked, "oh, won't (I forget the name) be joining you?" Apparently the ship had a record of a third occupant:eek:. Fortunately she never showed up demanding to sleep with us and she wasn't registered as a user on my credit card.

OP, did they boot the contractors or did they find you another cabin? Either way, what you went through is unacceptable and I think that a substantial refund (not credit for a future cruise since it was your first on RCI and I don't imagine that you're in a rush to try them again) is in order. I don't know how often RCI will do that, but I hope they do something for you. Good luck!

When I mentioned the lack of number on the card to a member of staff unbelievably I was told Richard Fain wanted them like that ,

That reminds me of the waiter in Chic who said to me "Adam Goldstein is wrong" ...when I asked about the alternative/every day menu :eek:

For staff to "blame" their big bosses was like ..whoa totally out of order and shows that the staff were not trained properly.

Did you know we left 300 contractors in Southampton because there were no cabins available for them. :eek:

No more new builds/Inaugurals for me, Quantum glitches really put me off big time.:(

It's back to the older ships for me.:D

My concern with having the SeaPass cards outside the doors has to do with security. When one opens the door he or she doesn't know that the stateroom is truly vacant. Most likely there isn't anyone in the stateroom but the fact that there could be doesn't make me feel very secure. If I were a woman traveling alone I would want someone around while I went in and checked to be sure the stateroom was clear. Then I might feel silly for having to ask someone to do that but I'd rather be embarrassed and safe than sorry.

OP, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry for what you had to go through and hope you can get a satisfactory compensation for this negative experience. I hope you will try Royal again. It really is a good cruise line.

Edited by Agutaya

Quantum mini-bars have coded entry. Mine was locked until day 3 of the TA.

As RFID technology can be tracked, the theft of these cards or WOW bands would not be so incredibly smart. The number of cameras around the ship was impressive and security was heavily evident and visible.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?12380

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?12463/4

Just think of all the headaches some unruly kids could cause by switching the envelopes with the sea pass cards around! And I used to worry about our room service breakfast order getting messed up! :D

As this thread goes on people keep coming up with more and more issues with this new procedure. I find it hard to believe that RCI did not put more thought into this. I realize that often on these boards we tend to knock changes but this change makes no sense. And this time it has to do with safety and security not perceived notions based on personal likes and dislikes. RCI needs to pay attention to this.

Fortunately, I have no plans to be on this ship in the near future.

Quantum mini-bars have coded entry. Mine was locked until day 3 of the TA.

As RFID technology can be tracked, the theft of these cards or WOW bands would not be so incredibly smart. The number of cameras around the ship was impressive and security was heavily evident and visible.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?12380

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?12463/4

Well that makes it a bit difficult to empty and replace with our wine.:(

That reminds me of the waiter in Chic who said to me "Adam Goldstein is wrong" ...when I asked about the alternative/every day menu :eek:

For staff to "blame" their big bosses was like ..whoa totally out of order and shows that the staff were not trained properly.

Did you know we left 300 contractors in Southampton because there were no cabins available for them. :eek:

No more new builds/Inaugurals for me, Quantum glitches really put me off big time.:(

It's back to the older ships for me.:D

I was under the understanding there were alternate menus at the restaurants.....I thought I read it somewhere too? Hope so, as we are picky eaters.

I didn't know they left some contractors off in Southampton. I guess they were there with us in Rotterdam then? More confusion added to that boarding Day!!:eek:

We won't ever do a ship that is brand new or right after dry dock either!! It was a disappointing cruise after the Oasis TA going over was so good?? :confused:

I am not too happy to hear about the Sea Pass? cards on the door either. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. We were on a B2B once and did not get our new Sea Pass Cards for the next day. They said they had left them on the door?

Well, they were not there and then you wonder where are they?

Quantum method-- Doesn't sound too secure to have them just sitting there for all to take or switch or whatever. Cameras can't fix a mess up and hours it may take to sort out....

Edited by CVU

As this thread goes on people keep coming up with more and more issues with this new procedure. I find it hard to believe that RCI did not put more thought into this. I realize that often on these boards we tend to knock changes but this change makes no sense. And this time it has to do with safety and security not perceived notions based on personal likes and dislikes. RCI needs to pay attention to this.

I totally agree with you. We will also not be sailing Quantum now or ever. I will take a Radiance or Voyager class ship over the larger ones anytime.

Yes.

My cabin mate and I boarded at different times. When I got to the cabin I opened the envelope outside the cabin door but there was only one sea pass in it, which had my cabin mate's name on it.

So I went along the hallway and called Guest Services.

They said, "use your cabin mate's sea pass to enter the cabin".

I said, "but what if she is not on the ship yet won't that be a security issue".

Their reply was "no, just use the card to enter the cabin and your sea pass will be in the cabin".

I don't like that idea at all. Who knows what could happen to your card or what a stranger could do to your room before you got there. :(

My mini-bar was not stocked on the TA. It can be emptied and used for own use. RCI cabins have visible storage where place items emptied to avoid charges. They have stopped removing the items from the cabin, but the passenger can remove them if desired.

The one time I was charged for an item on another ship, I mentioned it to my stateroom attendant, who informed the mini-bar service staff and the charge was removed the same day.

OP: What an experience! ugh!

We too had uploaded a photo and entered credit card info, but after being checked upon entering the terminal, also had to go to check-in since the credit card info did not "take". i hope RC fixes this clitch. We also had to visit GS to straighten out an OBC issue.

Other than that, I thought the 2 nighter was a lot of fun and the ship was beautiful.

...The one time I was charged for an item on another ship, I mentioned it to my stateroom attendant, who informed the mini-bar service staff and the charge was removed the same day.

You are more fortunate than we are. They never charge us for mini-bar items while we're still on the ship. Our erroneous charge always comes as a higher than expected SeaPass charge on the credit card.

I would be more concerned that they could enter my cabin and steal whatever strikes their fancy - the hairdryer, bathrobe, toiletries, my amenities, hell the TV. I don't think that taking my Seapass to a bar would work because even if they protested that it's not the right picture, I imagine that the correct response from the bartender would be to go sort it out at Guest Services.

And even if everybody on the ship is as honest as the day is long, I just don't like the idea that anybody could enter my cabin before I got there. It's just creepy. I hope they change back to providing the Seapasses when you check in - I suppose they don't do it because of the roving check in personnel, who would have to leave you in the middle of the embarkation hall to go fetch them, but I think they need to tighten up security in that regard.

We were on a 2-nighter and most things worked well. However, on the second night we went to dinner, gave our cabin number and the maitre d' asked, "oh, won't (I forget the name) be joining you?" Apparently the ship had a record of a third occupant:eek:. Fortunately she never showed up demanding to sleep with us and she wasn't registered as a user on my credit card.

OP, did they boot the contractors or did they find you another cabin? Either way, what you went through is unacceptable and I think that a substantial refund (not credit for a future cruise since it was your first on RCI and I don't imagine that you're in a rush to try them again) is in order. I don't know how often RCI will do that, but I hope they do something for you. Good luck!

Bar tenders do not see your picture when charging you.

And as far as the "photo comes up when they swipe your card" safeguard goes, if you're John Doe and you're using Bill Smith's card, a simple "well I guess they screwed that up as well, that's not the photo that I submitted" will probably stump the bartender and get you your drinks:(

I've watched bartenders at busy bars do their thing on the POS terminal. They are so quick, I don't know how they could recognize anyone in the pictures. If you're a balding white guy, you could probably get away with most of the photos anyway!

And as far as the staff making sure they have the right guests, we changed our cabin on our last cruise three weeks beforehand. The folks in our old cabin got our pre ordered wine, my tuxedo, AND our dinner reservations! (For the record, guest services fixed it all after a few trips).

So this all makes me wonder how much someone could get away with on a busy, disorganized cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As this thread goes on people keep coming up with more and more issues with this new procedure. I find it hard to believe that RCI did not put more thought into this..... RCI needs to pay attention to this.

Agreed.

I told my 10 year old son about the bands and how one is left on the door and the others are in the room. He didn't even have to think about it and stated that anyone could get in any room. 10 years old, not even a second before he answered.

What is wrong with RCI?

I never had plans to go on Quantum, thank goodness.

My concern with having the SeaPass cards outside the doors has to do with security. When one opens the door he or she doesn't know that the stateroom is truly vacant. Most likely there isn't anyone in the stateroom but the fact that there could be doesn't make me feel very secure. If I were a woman traveling alone I would want someone around while I went in and checked to be sure the stateroom was clear. Then I might feel silly for having to ask someone to do that but I'd rather be embarrassed and safe than sorry.

From all I'm reading, I'm not happy about the seapass card being outside the door. This to me is a security breach and hope that Royal will change how the seapass card is given to passengers.

Edited by psupa

Plain~simple ridiculous. I hope for the future of this cruise-line they have people with-in that actually look at cruise-critic,and start addressing some of the issues that we post about. This man's mini vacation would've been more relaxing hiding under his desk with a bottle of SKY. Unacceptable Dan